I don't wish to cause a fuss, but.....

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I don't wish to cause a fuss, but.....

Post by C64GLeN »

Does no one else find it odd that The C64 Banner Exchange has banner on it for a group that has recently cracked software created by members of this great forum?
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I never look at banners myself... but its a bit crap is that. Another community i am onvolved with has developers in it who create software as freeware and not long after there was a good collection, som bast started knocking it out on ebay. Hardly fair imho, but then, who cares about fair when money is involved ...... welcome to the 21st century.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I have to agree it is a bit odd that glyn.

Matrix: ouch! thats a bit cynical isn't it? ;)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Sry but i have a part of me that hates ppl who profit from others good nature when they themselves (the author ofsaid item) gets nuthin for their efforts. And especially when that sale isnt authorised. Theres still copyrights Tas - just like marked up mulicans from pepsi promotions *not to be sold seperately* but they do... I argue for the price on the can, not the price on the tag.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

What's this all about? *lost* :shock:

- Markus
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

hehe. i guess i am too =)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Its about ppl gettin ripped off... Others proffiting from your hard work. Lets say i put a remix cd together fomr all your works guys - and flog it at £10 a go, and you dont see anything from that - wuold u feel ripped off ? I sure would.
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

A member of one of groups that are part of the banner exchange cracked sid2midi, do a google seach and you'll find out who.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

ahhhh i see.

Bang out of order. I hope Michael knows about this. But then even if he did little he could do i suppose. :(
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

:shock: The nerve of some people.
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

If I am not mistaken, that crack is more than two years old and applied to one of the first releases, so unless someone has continued to "develope" it, Michael should be safe by having released several new versions since then.
Anders Carlsson
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Sry 2 interrupt - brainstorm time - If Sid2Midi separates the 3 tracks out rather than into 1 track - this would be ideal for my earlier idea to make available sheetmusic for up and coming c64 musicians .... wouldnt it ?

I mean, just needs some1 to push sids through this filter then load them up into a package like cubase, take a screenshot of the page and host it ?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Nah, it would look crap. Plus it wouldn't necessarily be accurate, especially when chords were involved.

I've got working MIDI files of many of the top 100 SIDs which could be used as a basis: I just haven't got time to do it yet.

Chris
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Sid2Midi is good for inspiration.. but nothing more

Post by beyond »

Sid2Midi can be used for many things, but accurate sheetmusic... Hmmm, I don't think so. I must second Chris here. There can be problems with the BPMs (at least I have experienced that the notes are not in perfect sync with the bars). If you're able to extract the chords, detect the tune's parts (A, B, bridge, etc) and all that yourself you can probably produce sheets that others can use, but there's no chance that you'll be able to do all this by just reading the .mid files that sid2midi produces. It's needs a lot of post-processing.

If it should be done right, we need a "The C64 Game Tunes Compendium", which could be updated regularly (just as with HVSC) with some enthusiastic group of people that wants to compile good sheets into one pdf-file.

Furthermore, I think that there is also some copyright issues here---some companies are very anal with their music being in printable form. So they will fight to get royalties (of nothing?) or simply forbid their property being used. We have this very nice gentleman's rule about how things work around here, but but but...
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Understood... just a thought.....