Alternative to R.K.O.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Do we need an option instead of R.K.O.

yes
30%
nah
70%

Total votes: 20

Xelebes
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Xelebes »

GeckoYamori wrote:You could round up most of the old remixes in Torrents, and sort them by game/remixer or something... BitTorrent is an excellent bandwidth saver.
OCR has done this... don't you think Kwed should be with the times?
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Well, I wouldn't put it like that. However having ED2K or Bit Torrents links maybe a good idea.
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Markus Schneider »

Infamous wrote:..one that it does seem is impossible to fulfill.. but then aint that they way with most suggestions?.
I think it's a pity if you judge things before trying or even thinking about it. I always get that feeling (and I have seen here a lot when people made suggestions) when people say everything is good as it is. May come from my job but not an attitude I appreciate. Might be unfair I know, but as I said I did get the feeling which doesn't mean I am right about this.
Infamous wrote: ...though would we really use it as often as its actual worth?
Very good question.
Infamous wrote: rko isnt down all the time and in my experience here (albiet a short one in comparison to some) so a mirror may just end up being a cost cow that we dont need.
Yes and no. Probably right about a mirror technique, but IMO wrong about 'down all the time'. People might forget that RKO isn't (mainly) online since SIX months.
Infamous wrote:
I'd love to see an alternate place to download/upload remix's too but i doubt no matter how much idea chucking we throw that as neil said.. anything will be done anytime soon. we all just have to sit and wait.
I am not sure if there is an alternative and Neil might be right but we should all think about it. I might suggest the DVD alternative here. perhaps it did not need to be an online alternative ?
Markus
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I agree with your other points Markus but an offline alternative I don't like. Then you can't get new stuff. I allready have most if not all of kwed on my harddrive. Thus I'm interested in new stuff. The kwed site is unlikely to go down if the bandwith is used to serve up ED2K links I'd say. P2P is a real alternative: it works, its scalable, its feasible.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

(/me takes a break from his Easter Break to check up on R64 affairs)

I have been thinking about using bittorrent for all RKO downloads - but thats mostly because I believe in giving back to worthy causes (my windows box is still seeding the most excellent theBroken shows long after the share ratio exceeded 1:1)

However, I have no conclusive proof that bandwidth usage is what knocked RKO out this time around. If those pesky PHP errors (that arrived after the bsdlogin.com guys set up their new server) show up when people don't even download things that's not going to change if the site starts serving .torrent files rather than mp3s.

Slaygon is currently in charge of poking around on the RKO server - last I heard he hasn't been able to reproduce the error on his own, so he asked me if it would be okay to (temporarily) reopen RKO for business to examine bits more closely.

And while we're at it; bandwidth or not, there's a lot more to building a site like RKO than people might think. Not that I mean to discourage anyone, of course. :D
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Markus Schneider »

Hi Jan,

there's something in my mind you might think about. I think I is a nice idea merging RKO and R64. You ever thought about it, Markus/Jan ?
You can still mirror the content only, while leaving files at RKO. Additionally - if the access to the files is dynamically programmed - you can also switch to a file mirror someone might host. In my eyes it has many advantages like one entrance point and safety.
This is no idea to help out of the actual problem, right. But for probs in future.

Btw: A friend of mine had the same sporadic 'internal server error'. He put the php files to an other server and reproduced the content. No probs. His origin server hosted several sites and one of them knocked off the mysql server to 100% with faulty sql queries. So his code was correct and debugging was of no earthly use :roll:
Markus
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:Slaygon is currently in charge of poking around on the RKO server - last I heard he hasn't been able to reproduce the error on his own, so he asked me if it would be okay to (temporarily) reopen RKO for business to examine bits more closely.
Which I did about an hour ago, and I am now starting to get reports that things aren't working as they should.
Investigating further on the cause (found the reason behind people getting the error messages, but not why).

I'll get back to you on that.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Just tested some options on RKO and it works. Only thing to poke my eye :

http://remix.kwed.org/?page=0&chart=month&view=

gave me an extremly sluggish response and averages at upto 60 secs to show the monthly charts, even though there are no entries for this month. No problem with selecting pages, downloading a remix, reloading the page, etc.

Good luck with debugging, Slaygon. I suggest you put a "Danger! Testing! Site may crash into your face!!" on it and let it run for some days. Uploading stuff seems to be a far more interesting thing. Looks like something outside RKO puts a strain on the server and steals machine cycles.
All is lost.
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Slaygon wrote:I'll get back to you on that.
From the data I have gathered this evening, there seems to be a bug in the version of PHP that the site is running.

Mr. Kwed needs to get hold of Mr. Baffle to do some upgrading methinks.

This is not yet conclusive, but all evidence thus far points to an internal bug in PHP.
bastard
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Any news on R:K:O ???

Post by bastard »

What's status?
2000 A.D. State of the art software
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

Long Live RKO
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

I didn't spot a single 'internal server error' for ages.

Browsing the site, downloading, voting, searching... all in good working condition. And it responded very fast today (guess I was the only one at the site at the mo).

Can't talk for uploads but RKO seems to be running perfectly.
All is lost.
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Vosla wrote:I didn't spot a single 'internal server error' for ages.
That is more or less the conclusion I have come to aswell.

I managed to reproduce the "Internal Error" bug a few time right after I re-opened the site, but not a single time has that happened in the past few weeks.

This is not the final "GO" for the site though, because traffic to it has deminished to next to nothing (compared to previous levels) since there's nothing new there since ... err... ages?

I will bring a fresh eye to look at things as soon as a few real life obsticles has been beaten.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Slaygon wrote:This is not the final "GO" for the site though, because traffic to it has deminished to next to nothing (compared to previous levels) since there's nothing new there since ... err... ages?

I will bring a fresh eye to look at things as soon as a few real life obsticles has been beaten.
Well, I could try releasing a couple of the queued tracks in an effort to bring traffic up to normal levels. :D
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

fresh material ???

sounds good... :wink: