NEW! Arkanoid - the first time in C64-remixing history

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

NEW! Arkanoid - the first time in C64-remixing history

Post by Romeo Knight »

...with real, live played drums. 8)
Now you can experience this classic with the spirit and power
of real musicians thrashing the shit out of their instruments! :twisted:
Big thanks go to my bandmate Antonius Gruetzner
for great energetic drumming and adding his creative output to this remix.
This time I used a slightly bigger guitar setup:
All synthsounds and effects are made with Reaktor.
And finally here's the link. Enjoy!
<a href="http://home.arcor.de/panamaspeed/music/ ... kanoid.mp3 ">I wanna rock with Arkanoid!</a>
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Great stuff, RK! A real 80's feel, some awesome drumming and wailing guitars... Maybe you should do a guest spot with Press Play On Tape?
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

That seriously rocks.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

um... im going to go against the grain here and say i didnt like it as much as id have liked too.

the starting noise is too weak and non representative of the original's absolute weird arsyness.. but on the flip side it works and theres no real complaint about it.

the drum set your using sounds pretty thin and far too behind everything else, guitars totally take over and in a rock out sense this is a good thing i guess... guitar playing is as im sure we are all coming to expect "class A quality".. but as i said before the drums end up sitting at the back of the auditorium whilst the guitarist does his thing.

bass is suitably funky.. i like that bass noise alot, the middle line is too quiet though.. again lost behind a myriad of guitars.
nice solo work aswell... weeee waaaaa wooooo waaaaaa etc.. not very taxing work but hey you make it sound good, thats the main thing.

I'ts arkanoid.. no doubt about that, a pretty.. ok its good ok!... but it just doesnt tickle my tastebuds but then you cant please everybody can ya.

great work.. just wish the drums had been a little more prominent, and maybe some extra work on the tune.. your a guitarist clearly.. so wheres the sudden impromt solo efforts? lol.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

<pedant>
I haven't heard it yet, but I'd point out that Arkanoid with a real drummer was done a year or two ago on the "Output 64" CD when there was a pretty noisy guitar-and-drums remix.
</pedant>

Chris
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

the drum set your using sounds pretty thin and far too behind everything else, guitars totally take over and in a rock out sense this is a good thing i guess... guitar playing is as im sure we are all coming to expect "class A quality".. but as i said before the drums end up sitting at the back of the auditorium whilst the guitarist does his thing.
I had the same thoughts about the drums, but let me tell you, mixing a real drumset against a wall of guitars is everything but easy. :roll:
(in the passages without guitars you can get the bottom and "kessel" of the snare quite good, but....!)
I had a version with the drums coming more to the fore but i didn't get it loudness maximized enough :(. So I had to compromise...
but I'll give it a last chance this evening...thanx a lot Infamous :evil:

(Just listened to your version again - now I Know why you're getting picky :lol:)
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Re: NEW! Arkanoid - the first time in C64-remixing history

Post by DHS »

Romeo Knight wrote:power
of real musicians thrashing the shit out of their instruments!
I guess a non metal/rock/guitar musician isn't a real musician.

Well, as a fake musician representetive, i like that remix.
Some little flaws in eq/compression, but that is much better than the old remix in that technical field.

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Re: NEW! Arkanoid - the first time in C64-remixing history

Post by Romeo Knight »

DHS wrote:
Romeo Knight wrote:power
of real musicians thrashing the shit out of their instruments!
I guess a non metal/rock/guitar musician isn't a real musician.
I'm not sure if you got what I meant:
real musicians <-> machines and sequencers

I know both a lot, and believe me, both have their pros and contras :roll:

Thanx for the comment! :)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

hehe i like to see people beavering away :-)... as i said before its more than a competent remix, its really rather good.

have to admit ive never had the problem you've had seeing as i am devoid of real instruments myself so my hat goes off to you for doing your thing and doing it well :-).

im sure theres place for all arky remix's especially in my little collection (and boy is it little) and i look forward to remix tres from yourself.

on a side note.. i feel my drumwork on my arkanoid was far to close to the front of the mix and the snare really does twat your ears if u play it loud.. the piano sample used is a little detuned and i never did get the 303 to sound as perfect as id like.. i could never get anything perfect who can?

id say keep the thang as it is.. it's more than passable in its form its in now and you can feel the human input which is always a good thing :-).
DaveT
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by DaveT »

It's good, but a bit "off".
IMO, there are more fitting tunes to be remixed by Romeo and his style like Netherworld and BMX
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

Dunno if it's the first time ever played on real instruments - you'll find a version on RUN/STOP RESTORE. But it's a nice remix :D

-T
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

beyond wrote:Dunno if it's the first time ever played on real instruments - you'll find a version on RUN/STOP RESTORE. But it's a nice remix :D

-T
Honestly, I knew that. But I needed a controversial headline to make people click and force discussions :)
Thanx! ( I like your version, too, but I only got this short preview snippet...)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

it doesn't work for me, 'cause i miss the feeling of the orginal....
...but that's maybe just my opinion.... :wink:

cheers ifadeo
Zzapback
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Zzapback »

Hi,
I really do like the intro, and the ideas behind the sound.
I think the guitars would sound much better during the sort of 'verse' if they were played more staccato with muffled chords, instead of the full force ''waa-waa-waawaa''. But of course that's only my opinion.

I really appreciate the effort. :D

TA!
Rob
The future is Retro...(sorta)
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Welcome to the remix scene RK. Nice to see some old faces here,

Mark / ex T.D.K. :)