AmigaGames.com Radio

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Paul Vanukoff

AmigaGames.com Radio

Post by Paul Vanukoff »

Paul Vanukoff
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: AmigaGames.com Radio

Post by Slaygon »

Paul Vanukoff wrote:http://www.amigagames.com
Nice!
I've been waiting for this to happen.

Had numerous requests to start playing Amiga mods/remixes/remakes/whatever, and always replied that SLAY Radio is a Commodore 64 remix station.

I'm sure the people requesting this from me will be happy about this!
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

your only saving yourself for the spectrum channel slay ;)
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Tas wrote:your only saving yourself for the spectrum channel slay ;)
Yeah. You know... Big plans and all that. ;)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

did you see demoscene.tv yet m8 ?
Paul Vanukoff

Post by Paul Vanukoff »

Yeah - demoscene.tv is cool - brings back memories of when my brother and I would watch demo after demo ... impressive programming skills back in the day. Modern demos don't impress me nearly as much as back then.

And of course there has always been http://www.scenemusic.net ...
Paul Vanukoff
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

Paul Vanukoff wrote:Modern demos don't impress me nearly as much as back then.
what about the 64 k stuff for the pc ?

but i tend to agree with you.
its not as good as "back in the day"
going to the computer clubs to swap the latest demos ... compunet ... memories :o)

i still have my C64 modem ... but the compunet phone number doesnt work for some reason .. ? ! ?
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
Paul Vanukoff

Post by Paul Vanukoff »

Good point. 64k, 4k, 256byte demos. Those are pretty impressive. I showed one of my cow-orkers a 256byte demo and it blew him away. It was some sort of rotating zooming multilayer tunnel deal. He couldn't fathom how they could do all that in 256 bytes. :P
Paul Vanukoff
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Ill tell ya why they dont impress....

Its because theres nothing original.... its all been done before.... glenz vectors, B-Splines, 32pt Sinewaves, 1px plasma, 3d worlds, realtime lightsourcing, ray tracing, bouncing copper, ollisballs, reflection maps, bump maps, realtime no-hardware image scaling etc etc etc....

Todays stuff isnt groundbreaking at all - back in the day we eargerly awaited groups tpo break each others records..... how many bobs in a bobflag, azatoths 1200 dot physics ball, phenomena's 12bit raytracing anims... it was all cutting edge back then, nothing today pushes the hardware.

I have just 2 demo's for the dreamcast... they are both good, nice graphics etc, but nothing to make you go "WOW - How T/F Did the Do THAT !!!"
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

bang on matrix,

The reason i don't follow the demo scene these days, is because i don't feel that "WOW" thing anymore... Seen one seen them all.

These days the pc is an open monster with less boundries to break, with less limitations. I think demo's could still be interesting if they concentrated more on content than on all the effects thats at their disposal.

I suppose it's also the same with games these days. Mostly they concentrate on the eye candy rather than the game. So often you get nothing but a nice visual yet a boring game with little or no imagination.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Exactly....

Now dont get me wrong, machines today still have limitations, but nobody pushes em, well, with the exception of MadOnion for their benchmarking stuff like XLR8R - and they used to be a demo group too :D so there ya have it....

The scene really needs some1 to come upwith sumthin fresh..... that may get ppl interested again. See heres the other part of the issue.... With the amiga, you wrote for a standard set of hardware.... Fat Angus, Denise, Paula etc etc etc, Today, you got how many graphics cards ? with how much ram on what kind of bus, AGP x2 x4 x8 PCI Express..... you have ATX the new BTX mobo's, Soundcards come in all flavours from Gravis, Roland and Creative... Theres ppls RAM limitations, ok i know i have a gig, but there are still ppl out there with 64meg or less.... and on a rage pro card.

In short - you cant create for the masses and push the boundries without dissapointing ppl.... take HALO, ppl that dont have a T&L card cant play it !! Doom3 and HL2 require ppl to buy lots in upgrades to get the most out of it.. and while it may push a good system today, tomorrow that system is obsolete and a new one is out that can handle the job nicely :) C64 and Amiga standards were around for YEARS b4 becoming obsolete - today, new cards for a pc are outdated in like 2 months.

A clear case of too much of a good thing too often imho. The tech is advancing so fast, ppl cant keep up in order to push... even prods take time to make, and by the time its out, its not breaking records anymore.

If the demoscene is to really live again, i think it would be on the XBox or PS2.... standard hardware set, the only thing u can upgrade is the hard drive for storage. So i say get it chipped and start bashing away at the hardware registers and make it do what its not meant to do. THAT is what the scene was all about back in the day :) and you cant do that effectively on an ever-changing set of hardware; because lets face it, what pushes your pc, wont make your mates pc even break a sweat.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Now all we need is a complete (!) collection of amiga modules with FTP access (!). I think my collection is huge, but I'm sure there is lots o stuff at Amiga Music Preservation that I don't have (and vice versa.) It annoys me when people make it hard to download things others released to the public domain (well, mostly). I'm sure some of it is a bandwidth issue (allthough there's such a thing as max users and U/D ratios) but it just doesn't motivate to share what I have.

It probably true that its hard for democoders to push the limits of the hardware, but I'm not really sure it matters that much. Of course the competition element is important but so is the experience and that doesn't degrade to nothing just because a demo doesn't use Cg. And what about realistic physics -- you don't need the latest GPU to compete at realism in that respect. I've made a very very simple 3d engine in Flash, so if you want limits, try that. :-) (Of course there was this website with an ASCII based javascript raytracer, AFAIR.) Anyway I still enjoy the demoscene...

ps. check out http://www.realtime-raytracing.com/