Bastards!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Death penalty imho has proven to be very ineffective.
I would love to see those nuts pay the ultimate price but there is always a chance you got the wrong guy and that's why I disapprove death penalty even if it is "just" one innocent who has to pay our lust for revenge.

I dunno what I would do with a captured terrorist. I really don't know.

Damn fucked-up world! :evil:
All is lost.
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: ...

Post by sumppi »

1337 wrote:Understand the terrorists? I don't think I can. Their objectives are clear, to terrorise and kill innocent people. Why? Because they've been warped by the extreme religious views of the Al-Quaida. They believe that they're doing the bombings because their deity wanted them to.
I recommend digging deeper to find the real cause, it's not as simple as that. Sure, part of the motivation might come from religious beliefs, but for example in the case of London bombings the motivation seems to be (according to the news) mainly a response to the invasion of Iraq. As for the 911 and all that, the Al Qaeda itself was born to resist the presence of US in the Gulf region - not a simple history either.

They're not insane, they're not stupid, just mostly very desperate. And somewhat annoyed, it seems.
1337 wrote:Funny thing is, I highly doubt that ANY major religion condones that sort of behaviour.
The really funny thing about the concept of religious beliefs are that in the end they're often open to interpretation. Usually those interpretations mirror the society and times, but there are always the extremists on each side. It's always about the interpretation.

Taken to extreme, one could think of the situations in Afghanistan and Iraq as exactly the same, religious nutters spreading their view of the world. To quote Ann Coulter, one of the most visible right-wingers in the US: "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

Sound familiar?
1337 wrote:As for the death penalty being not fit for a civilised society... I hope you're not suggesting that America has no civilised society.
As Chris stated earlier, I just don't think the US should have death penalty. Even if we're not discussing about the morality of it, there have been cases of death penalty victim being innocent in the end. Such "mistakes" cannot be undone or explained.

All in all, it's no use to start a flame war. As said earlier, I do not approve their actions in any way, I'm just advocating for informed, analytic and communicative approach on all this instead of over-emotional blast of hatred.

Sumppi
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I agree with you 100% Sumppi. And yes, death penalty has no place in a civilized society. Its not just a matter of occational wrong convictions, its just not right; its the old "an eye for an eye" attitude. I also happen to agree with a danish law professor who has interesting views on the treatment of criminals but that's another story - too many people equate justice with revenge and punishment.
Driller
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Driller »

How about someone handing them the complete listing of the code for Windows XP and they had to type it in via a spectrum keyboard ?
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

@exoskeleton: Do you have a link concerning the ideas of that danish law professor? I would be interested.

@Driller: Wasn't it about about death penalty, not torture?
All is lost.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

<OT>
Vosla, his name is Ole Krarup, his page is

http://www.ole-krarup.dk/

He's anti-EU but I'm most interested in his views on justice.

I think I have the PDF file where he outlines his views, its actually a full book I think. If you PM me I can mail it to you. However its in Danish so it wohn't help you much unless perhaps you convert it to HTML, put it on a server, and use some webservice to translate it. I've never tried this myself.

But maybe you can find an english version on his page or english articles about the subject. His book is called "Retten, magten og moralen." or "The right, the power and the moral."

These views can be explained but I think you have to have a deep sense of whats right or wrong similar to his before you can agree but thats just a feeling. His views are well articulated and reasonable nonetheless.
</OT>
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Thanks, exoskeleton! I'll have a look. My danish is a load of crap but if nothing else works I'll get help from my mother who was in a danish school.
All is lost.
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

exoskeleton wrote:And yes, death penalty has no place in a civilized society.
U can still receive the death penalty in the UK for "treason" and "piracy on the high seas"

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

dan gillgrass wrote:U can still receive the death penalty in the UK for "treason" and "piracy on the high seas"
:shock: Piracy on the high seas, now that has a nice ring to it! :D
Benn
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Benn »

dan gillgrass wrote:U can still receive the death penalty in the UK for "treason" and "piracy on the high seas"
Not any more, as it happens. These were removed as part of the Criminal Justice Bill in 1988, and then the signing up to the European Convention of Human Rights in 1999 sealed the deal, as it were.

Up until 1971, you could still be hung for "Arson in a Royal Dockyard" - a bugger for dockers who smoked...

On the wider issues in this thread (wow! politics!), anyone who hasn't heard my opinions on global stuff and just wants to keep thinking of me as Mr Mad-as-a-fish Bouncychoonmeister may wish to look away now...

I have to say that the idea of punishing death with - ermm - death always seems rather bizarre and hypocritical to me - private murder being punished with public murder. Also, as with Tim Evans - wrongfully hanged for killing his wife and child, largely due to the evidence from the real murderer - and many others, the possibility of miscarriages of justice abound. The 'Guildford Four', found to be innocent after 20-or-so years, would undoubtedly have been hung were the death penalty still in place.

As a deterrent, it's worse-than-useless. States in America with the death penalty have *higher* murder rates than those without. (see http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article ... 12&did=168), and I believe this is true internationally also.

As for the London bombings, of course, it's abhorrent. Most people that know me are probably aware of my vegetarianism - I can't even bear the thought of killing animals, nevermind humans. Let's not forget though, that the US/UK coalition is killing the same number of people *every day* in Iraq - http://www.iraqbodycount.net/ is currently running at 22-25,000 *civilians*. We should be putting as much, if not more energy into decrying this as the London tragedy.

There is always an emotional reaction to local death - the old Fleet Street (newspaper publishing, for those outside the UK) formula of 'one little girl drowning in Essex = 10 French people in a train crash = 100 Turks in an earthquake = 1000 Africans in a famine etc.' still holds true.

When it's grouped as well, it has a greater impact, but let us not forget again that double the same number of people killed in London have died on the roads in Britain since the bombing. Where is the cry for the death penalty for the driver who was talking on his mobile and hit one of the 200 children killed every year in road 'accidents'? At most, it's a 2 or 3 year sentence. Why does 3,000 road deaths and 300,000 casualties every year in the UK not merit any headline inches whatsoever? Someone once wisely pointed out that if an inventor today came up with a device that made getting from A to B twice as fast, but wiped out the population of a small town every year, he'd be ridiculed.

OK - rant over - or as my kids would say... "Put the megaphone down and *step away* from the soapbox".

Cheers,
Benn.