sid2midi tempo question

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
oj oscillation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

sid2midi tempo question

Post by oj oscillation »

hi!
i downloaded sid2midi windows front end and i have my reg-key. so every function is enabled. but if i try the tempo bpm manually, the imported midi file in sx will not take the bpm as i entered in s2m.
even if i let the menue point on autodetect, i always get a wrong bpm.
or should i say: i always get the right tempo with 187.500 bpm (or so).
no matter what i do, it always ends with this magic 187.... bpm.
do i something wrong or is the front end buggy ?
regards
searchin for a hit-button plug in
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I think the front end is buggy. Mind you, tempo autodetect sometimes does a good job.

The magic numbers seems to be 93.75, 125 and 187.5 for a lot of SIDs: probably connected somehow to the clock speed. Galway's SIDs quite often clock in at 125bpm, whereas Hubbard's are often all over the place.

Chris
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Tried to eMail Michael Schwendt about this ages ago, I think the eMail never got through though. He seems to have vanished from the scene.
oj oscillation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oj oscillation »

@chris: the thing bounces back tune is 125 bpm (tried it with that song). that could explain your theory.
@lman: i thought that, too, about michael. so i directly posted it here instead of mailing him. as far as i remember, you told me about the tempo prob of the front end years ago. but i wasn`t sure.

so, after all i have to stick back to my dos version to get an exact bpm.
thanx, guys.
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

My personal experience is that only the command-line version works correctly, and that also only if you supply all parameters, even those with a default.
putzi
dunkel

Post by dunkel »

In PRESS PLAY ON TAPE we usually do as described on our secret pages (you did find the easter egg now that we actually put spoilers online on http://www.PRESSPLAYONTAPE.com, didn't you? :) )

From the "How to record a PPOT song" page:

Step 3: Find the exact BPM of the SID
You need to know the exact BPM (beat pr. minute) for the wav file in order to take full advantage of the editing facilities of your multi track recorder (to make sure that periods hit the right measure-marks and so on). When exporting wav-files from SidPlay remember to use version 1 and also to skip the first 10-20 seconds as these often are flaky in regards to keeping a steady beat. This is found by using your favorite sound tool: Load the sample, zoom in on exactly the start of a new measure, zoom out, step forward in time about 64 to 128 measures to keep a safe margin and zoom in on the same again and set the marker exactly at the end of the last beat. Your sound tool needs to be able to tell you the exact time of each marker and using this together with you own count of how many beats there are between the two markers will give you the exact BPM. This may very well be a floating point figure.

I the commandline version can do this for you then by all means use that, just thought I'd chip in this alternative to the discussion here :)

Regards,
Jesper, PPOT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oj oscillation »

that`show i always did it with those c64 tunes. export a wav, then load the wav in soundforge, take the 4/4 grid in 1 meassure and get the tempo.
actually,i take 2 meassures to be more exactly to the bpm.
open cubase, import midi track and look the notes and quantizises.
fine tuning the bpm in sid2midi if necessary,until quantizise matches.
regards