Armageddon Man (Featuring Ilaria Mosso)

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Armageddon Man (Featuring Ilaria Mosso)

Post by gibs »

My next remake was supposed to be a Rob Hubbard's music but my girlfriend convinced me to start another job as she would like to participate.
She chose a wonderful tune from David Whittaker, so here is the result:

bad 2005 link: http:/ohmygibs.free.fr/mp3/armageddonw.mp3

Hope you'll enjoy it :lol:

edit 07/24/2006: Here is the new link !

:!: -->> Click Here To Download <<-- :!:]

8)
Last edited by gibs on 24/07/2006 - 6:35, edited 1 time in total.
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Armageddon Man (Featuring Ilaria Mosso)

Post by sumppi »

gibs wrote:My next remake was supposed to be a Rob Hubbard's music but my girlfriend convinced me to start another job as she would like to participate.
Ahem.

Listening to that piece sparked a deep philosophical question inside my head:
should Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody be performed by chipmunks with banjo backing track?

And the answer? No.

Sumppi
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Armageddon Man (Featuring Ilaria Mosso)

Post by Chris Abbott »

sumppi wrote: should Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody be performed by chipmunks with banjo backing track?

And the answer? No.

Sumppi
Aw... :(
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Well, ahem...

The major flaw is all that echo/reverb, the voice is sinking in it.
Also, the arrangement is a little too minimalistic for my tastes.

The singing switch from "ok" to comic when she changes from "ohh" to "ihh". Or, at least, that's the effect it does on me.

But, to say the truth, the biggest problem is that there's already an Armageddon Man remix done with a female voice playing the lead, and Ilaria doesn't have the specific kind of voice to be able to compete with Karin Öjehagen on that kind of singing.

I checked your site for your other works and i like them (beside the fact that shooting on certain political men is a little too easy and banal today), your reggae/ska tracks sounds just great.

Are you guys from Corsica?
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

there is no competition here. we have done this for fun. :D
the goal of this remake is to be honest, sound live (all intruments are played live exept the drum), like if you were in front of a little band.
we are not proffessional musicians and we don't want to sell records. :roll:
we tried to give the maximum emotion we could.
I think I have respected the arrangements from David Whittaker, nothing has been added or invented by us.

I think the critic of sumppi is a little easy
:shock: , I have ckecked his stuff on his website (as there were nothing on kwed) and... :lol:

Every bands start to do or to learn music by doing covers !!! take a chill pill and go ahead :roll:
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

gibs wrote:I think the critic of sumppi is a little easy
:shock: , I have ckecked his stuff on his website (as there were nothing on kwed) and... :lol:
You can check out all my productions in RKO via my remix64.com user profile at http://www.remix64.com/index.php?load=a ... info_61900 - sure, the older stuff isn't quite up to par production wise but I'd stick any of the more recent RKO tracks (or the ones being released on Immortal 3) against your Armageddon Man any day, without smileys. Considering originality, I'd say the older ones qualify as well.

Doing a cover and copying a concept are two different things, and that's why I was so critical about your Armageddon Man. To me, that isn't a cover, it's a blatant copy and that alone makes all the details about the production irrelevant to me. I'm sorry if the sarcasm of my original comment was lost on you.

It's a bit like watching Law & Order and CSI New York. Other one is the original and actually shot in the NYC, other one is a cheap carbon copy of the same concept.

Sumppi
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

sumppi wrote: You can check out all my productions in RKO via my remix64.com user profile at http://www.remix64.com/index.php?load=a ... info_61900 - sure, the older stuff isn't quite up to par production wise but I'd stick any of the more recent RKO tracks (or the ones being released on Immortal 3) against your Armageddon Man any day, without smileys. Considering originality, I'd say the older ones qualify as well.
Damned, watching to replying to this thread means to me that you have nothing to do in your life. again, there is no competition, I don't do a remix to prove to someone that I'm better than him...
I bet you think that there is a classement in kwed to enter in competition.:lol: I do what I do for fun...is it so hard to understand ? and if somebody here like it, it makes me pleasure...
sumppi wrote: Doing a cover and copying a concept are two different things, and that's why I was so critical about your Armageddon Man. To me, that isn't a cover, it's a blatant copy and that alone makes all the details about the production irrelevant to me. I'm sorry if the sarcasm of my original comment was lost on you.
It's a bit like watching Law & Order and CSI New York. Other one is the original and actually shot in the NYC, other one is a cheap carbon copy of the same concept.
Sumppi
And what about the respect about the original tune and his composer ?
"A blatant copy" ??? there are 18 Years between it has been composed.
when I do a cover, my goal is to preserve the original idea, with (if I can) a better sound...I think this is the main goal of kwed (hearing the original and the copy and showing & remembering that those great tunes aren't dead and make them alive and imortal even 20 years later.:P

personnal: I will learn your covers , but to be honest you don't give me the envy. From what I have listened to your website I can say that your sound is choked, and probably your guitar is cheap and so your amp. :lol:
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

gibs wrote:Damned, watching to replying to this thread means to me that you have nothing to do in your life.
I don't think it's worthwhile to continue this discussion if it goes to personal level of that nature.
gibs wrote:And what about the respect about the original tune and his composer ? "A blatant copy" ??? there are 18 Years between it has been composed. when I do a cover, my goal is to preserve the original idea, with (if I can) a better sound...
Exactly, the SID version is the original and should be the inspiration for the cover/remix interpretation. But to me your Armageddon Man sounds and feels like a copy of the excellent version done by Mahoney, not a version inspired by the SID itself.
gibs wrote:From what I have listened to your website I can say that your sound is choked, and probably your guitar is cheap and so your amp. :lol:
Oh, you don't want to go there...

Sumppi
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

honestly, I have not listened to the Mahoney's version (wich I respect, and I like it a lot) before doing my cover. I've found it after and, sorry, if just putting a female voice on a SID cover means that it's a copy of Mahoney's one , I really have to say...go out and buy you some new ears ! :P

one is a jazzy piano version, the other is more rock...

Aehm I have listened to your ghosts n' goblins cover, it's pretty nice but then I really don't understand why there are only 2 peoples for clapping you :lol:
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

This is getting kind of pointless... :(
All is lost.
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

7 month later...

I decided to revisit this tune again... :shock:

...re-work in progress...
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I missed out on the first version. Looking forward to the new version.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

I second that.
All is lost.
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

The Real Story About This Remix.

Before doing this remix, I knew about remix64.com and I have release short-first-try called of the "Cobra" tune.

Ilaria & me went to see a Magician called "Dany Larry"...

its show was accompanied by a female-intonated voice which sang
"live" (no lyrics) on a recorded medieval background track with a real drummer.

The following day, she asked me if we could make a song as that which one had heard the day before… I showed her remix64.com. She knew the C64 because one of her cousins had one in the past and she was playing games on it.

We spent 2 hours to select a track on the SID database...I was on the David Whittaker directory because I knew him
for his great tracks on Amiga. We chose "Armageddon Man".

We record it and mix it quickly (3 hours to do all the work)...I can remember she recorded the voice in 2 takes in real bad condition.(no auto-tune was used).

-Bad rusted microphone (ramsa D65 panasonic)
-Bad headphone (30$ philips)
-And the soundcard was a Soundblaster Live (No Asio Drivers, important latency)
-0% knowledge in mixing & mastering

After having sent the remix to RKO, the idea to look on rko if somebody had already made a remix came to us.
we used the search engine, and we listened to the red one : it was Visa Roster.

So, perhaps that you think that we had copied Visa Roster, but it is not the case. there is no reason to lie on this subject...So regard this remix as a gift done by 2 C64 fans instead of usurper.

-So what's new on this remix ?

-lot of hours (more than 150)
-intro guitars where replaced by synth
-better eq and better reverb on the voice!
-new guitars, and new sound, better feeling
-new drumkit
-new drums (matt sorum style bearing of drums)
-a mastering
-violins
-increase of emotional feels on the second verse
-outro solo guitar composed by me

If you want my opinion, in an objective way (I know that most of you are from sweden and fans of Visa Roster and you will probably think I'm crazy) I prefer the Ilaria's voice and this remix. I'm not saying this becaus e she is my girlfriend, coz I'm not anymore with her.

Thanks to 8BITFAN for his review on the fist version, to Romeo knight wich help me to improve the sound of my productions during those month using the right words to give me a kick and encourage me to do better.

the song will be release on rko soon (after some fix)...you can hear the work in progress on my website :

http://ohmygibs.free.fr
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

I only see a blank page (apart from the menu system) on the download page.