GP2X

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Ah, great news, Bastardius! :D

I'm getting all wired up here, just waiting for mine to arrive!
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
ZebUK
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by ZebUK »

I bought a GP2X a few months ago after a workmate told me about them.

I'd never heard of them before and if my workmate hadn't said anythign I'd never have bought it as it sounded too good to be true.

Not tried the Amiga emulator yet, mainly been playing Sonic on the megadrive emulator and Ghostbusters (and other games) on the C64 emulator.

JFI, the USB lead that comes packaged with the unit is known to have "issues" so if you have a digital camera use that lead instead. Some leads work OK but a large number of users have found their PC is failing to recognise the GP2X at all although it can see something there. The lead from my camera solved the problem first time.

One last thing, don't insert unformatted SD cards unless you want to risk damage to your unit - format them first!

btw hi Makke 8)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I'm more than a bit pissed off because my unit as not yet been delivered! If it's not waiting for me at home when I get back from my dad's tomorrow, I'm probably calling the gametronics guys up and tell them to either throw in an extra 4 GB SD card (instead of the 2 GB I ordered), or they can cancel the order and hand me my money back. They promised me a two week delivery, I even payed them in advance to speed the whole thing up, and I feel they've failed to keep their end of the deal.

I'd probably get the unit quicker if I ordered it from the UK. :|
ZebUK wrote:I'd never heard of them before and if my workmate hadn't said anythign I'd never have bought it as it sounded too good to be true.
I had heard of them (I think I first heard of them when Sumppi got his), but didn't really take an interest (or acknowledge them at all) until I saw an ad in Retro Gamer a couple of issues back. :)
ZebUK wrote:One last thing, don't insert unformatted SD cards unless you want to risk damage to your unit - format them first!
Hmmm, so the best thing to do is to get a card-reader and format it from there?
ZebUK wrote:btw hi Makke
Hey! :D
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
ZebUK
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by ZebUK »

Yeah, use a card reader. When it arrives it comes with a small amount of printed material but I thought I'd mention it because not many (if any) read the paperwork that comes with toys. Most want to plug the thing in and go!

Makke, I'm surprised yours is taking sooo long to come through - mine took about 4 days but I'm in the UK and ordered from the UK.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

ZebUK wrote:Makke, I'm surprised yours is taking sooo long to come through - mine took about 4 days but I'm in the UK and ordered from the UK.
Aye. I tried to call the dealer today. No answer, so I e-mailed them just before lunch, and so far no answer. I'm almost getting worried my money's gone now.

Sucks, because this kind of takes the edge of the excitment I felt when I ordered it. :(
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

Any news on your little bundle of joy, Makke?
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Bog wrote:Any news on your little bundle of joy, Makke?
Funny you should mention it.

Last week I e-mailed them again, asking where my order went. They didn't reply. So after waiting for another couple of days, I lost it and called them 10-15 times during the day. No answer. That got me really pissed. So I e-mailed them and kind of said "When ever you get around to reading this ya c*nts, you can shove the order right up the poo-chute, and hand me my money back before I really start causing a fuzz!"
Been calling them at least 4-5 times per day since I e-mailed that letter, with no answer. I had almost given up on seeing my money again, and then, just now - a couple of minutes ago, I got an e-mail from them saying "Oh, hello. Your order's been delayed until the end of January. Would you like to cancel the order, or wait for your unit to arrive?"
I think you can imagine what I told them. If this is what they call customer support, I'm not interested in dealing with them. What if there's a problem with my gizmo-mabob? Is that the kind of response time I can expect? No, thank you! You keep what I ordered and hand me my money back, please. I wonder when they'd planned to tell me my order would be more than six weeks delayed?

So, in short: I'm pissed off, still have no GP2X, still don't have my money back, and I'm having the slowest conversation ever with the customer support at Gametronics.se.
We'll see if that's the end of my GP2X adventures. If I can be bothered I'll order one from the UK instead, but this whole "thing" has kind of taken the fun out of it. Plus, I wanted it to play with over Christmas. :|
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

You should definitely get one from gp2x.co.uk - they are very quick and reliable.

Don't want to rub salt in, but I actually knackered my joypad about 1 week after i got it (totally my own fault - I was, erm, 'experimenting')... ;) Anyway, I sent them an email saying that it had 'mysteriously' broke (yep - I'm a liar), and I got my replacement 2 days later - no questions asked. Essentially, I have gotten one, broken it and had a replacement sent all before X-mas!

Don't give up on the GP2X totally though - it's definitely worth the wait. I have hardly put mine down all Christmas!

Oh yeah, use the Atari ST Emulator instead of the Amiga one. It's a lot less faffing about with kikstart revisions and more CPU friendly (so you can underclock and save some battery life). The games (other than the sound, of course) are all pretty much identical to the Miggy versions anyway. I'm currently giving all the Lucasfilm adventures a good kicking and officiallly have no life until further notice... :wink: