Timbaland in unauthorised SID usage allegations

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

CreaMD wrote:http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/ar ... ns_1021555

"I'm 15 years deep. That's how you attack a king? You attack moi? Come on, man. "You got to come correct. You the laughing stock. People are like, 'You can't be serious." (Timbaland)

He's getting deeper and depper for sure ;-))
He's a nasty piece of work, isn't he? That's actually a pretty unconvincing official denial, too.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

k_rostoen wrote:Street Fighter Alpha Turbo. I've never even heard that tune. Does anyone have a sample (no pun intended) of it?
I own the "Street Fighter Alpha Turbo" Arcade machine...the real thing and no there is no "Acid Jazz" Tune in there.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
CreaMD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CreaMD »

Analog-X wrote:
k_rostoen wrote:Street Fighter Alpha Turbo. I've never even heard that tune. Does anyone have a sample (no pun intended) of it?
I own the "Street Fighter Alpha Turbo" Arcade machine...the real thing and no there is no "Acid Jazz" Tune in there.
Isn't there anything that could at least remotely resemble the acidjazz? By sound or some melody?

roman
http://www.c64.sk - C64 Scene News
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

CreaMD wrote:Isn't there anything that could at least remotely resemble the acidjazz? By sound or some melody?
roman
You can download and listen to it in the M1 Emulator by R. Belmont.

http://www.emuhype.com/index.phtml?s=misc&ss=index
Glenn0RG

Post by Glenn0RG »

Question:
Is it possible to use SidStation to record a single sid channel ?

If you listen to "do it" from Furtado and use Balance you will hear that the
arpeggios (sid channel 2) are in the left speaker while the lead + flute (sid channel 1+3) is present in the right speaker.

Cheers!
GRG
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Frankly, this reaction appears to be even worse than Zombie Nation's. The quote "I don't know what's public domain and what's not" might have had some weight in the mid 1980s, but it certainly doesn't now. Hell, even the KLF got slapped for its samples, and that was waaaay back at the end of the 1980s. (Note after that that the likes of KLF and PWEI had rather exhaustive sample credits in the inlays!)

Frankly, his attitude is disgusting. Laughing it off because it's from a video game is insulting, seeing as he's made money from someone else's work. And although he's technically right in that sampling is not stealing (with a quote that reminds me of Stu Campbell's Friendly Help For F——ing Idiots, there can be no question now that this 'artist' has been involved in copyright infringement. I only hope that those he's ripped off get something out of it.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Glenn0RG wrote:Question:

arpeggios (sid channel 2) are in the left speaker while the lead + flute (sid channel 1+3) is present in the right speaker.

Cheers!
GRG
Simple answer is "yes". Acid64 definitely allows this. I'm not sure whether they re-enabled the mixer in Sidplay 2, but there was definitely the ability to isolate tracks. Which also means that their infringement was very calculated indeed, since if they were using a SID, they'd definitely know who made it (since all SID players would display that information).

Chris
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Glenn0RG wrote:Question:

Cheers!
GRG
You can Still get a copy of Sidplay 2 with Mixer Option than you can simply mute channels you dont want and write to a .WAV File.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Laughing it off because it's from a video game is insulting,
It's even worse than that: he thinks that because the person is in his eyes a video game musician, that he deserves to be laughed off (i.e. calling him a "video game idiot". I think success has gone to his head a long time ago, thanks to his entourage licking his arse minutely. Now he really does believe he's Godlike and can do anything he likes.

Chris
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Chris Abbott wrote: he thinks that because the person is in his eyes a video game musician, that he deserves to be laughed off (i.e. calling him a "video game idiot".
Chris
He needs to be brought down a few notches. If he thinks Video Game Musicians are idiots, than he's insulting every Musician who makes Music for games. I guess he has no clue that games now have as big of a budget as a movie and make more money than block buster hit movies.

I'm not finding as much news on the subject through Google News as I did a few weeks ago. I hope this story does not lose steam and gets forgotten.
Last edited by Analog-X64 on 10/02/2007 - 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Burglar

Post by Burglar »

Chris Abbott wrote:
Laughing it off because it's from a video game is insulting,
It's even worse than that: he thinks that because the person is in his eyes a video game musician, that he deserves to be laughed off (i.e. calling him a "video game idiot". I think success has gone to his head a long time ago, thanks to his entourage licking his arse minutely. Now he really does believe he's Godlike and can do anything he likes.

Chris
it's pretty weird that his lawyers didnt tell him to shut up. but I guess thats a good thing for tempest&grg ;)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

I guess even he loses in court, this is actually publicity for him and could be used to make money. What's a gangsta without some stealing and hassles ? I think he is joking around because it won't hurt him much at the end. And that's a sad thing.

May his best piece rot and fall off.
All is lost.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Vosla wrote: May his best piece rot and fall off.
May his best piece enter a dark tunnel and exit with disease and end up being cut off. :)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

OK finally Timbaland responds!!!

YouTube Clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATkHbfbQAc4

Some things he said that sticks out for me.

When Asked if he ripped anyone off:

"I dont have too, I'm too good"

When Asked about the case about finish guys:
Question:
"That mess is so ridiculous I cant really talk about it, because I'm in legal discussions or whatever, but I'm going to tell you <mumbles> look at my face, I dont know who their faces are, the hells wrong with them. Thats all i can tell you. Its from a Video Game <pause> Idiot.

Than he goes into rant about walking into someones house and stealing your samples from ProTools, a shitty explanation of sampling.

And here is a portion which I think he's admitting to it and trying to deny at the same time.

"But you didnt know, maybe you didn't know who it was by, because is dont have the credits listed. So you just used it, hey I dont know but I like it but I'm going to use it, maybe somebody might put in a sample claim in or I dont know, you know what I'm saying. I like it I dont have to research it, the time is coming up and I have to turn a record here, so thats what sampling is thats not stealing, because everybody is sampling from everybody everyday, you know what I'm saying, thats what a sample is, like it may hey I sampled it from a game I dont know it didnt have a listing, C64, Commodore 64...I dont know... I Like it...I found it... I dont know what is public domain whats not...some stuff dont say."

"Everybody come out from the woo woo telling you you stole something"

IMHO...I think he knows exactly what he did and is playing against the general publics lack of knowledge of what a 20 Year old computer called C64 is...so he Keeps calling it a Video Game music.

Also near the end he references a totally different case with a Casio keyboard which has nothing to do with he's situation.
Last edited by Analog-X64 on 11/02/2007 - 1:01, edited 2 times in total.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Here is another site with same clip and some text.

Slightly Annoying Pop UP warning:
http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines ... modore_64/

For those who dont want to visit the site.

Timbaland Responds to Accusations of Song Theft
By: Julianne Shepherd
POSTED: 15:38 EST, February 9, 2007

Commodore 64 musician accuses Tim of stealing beat for Nelly Furtado song.

A Finnish musician has accused Timbaland of stealing a song he wrote in 2000 and using it in Nelly Furtado's "Do It." Janne Suni, who is known among computer composer's circles as Tempest, claims large portions of his song "Acid Jazzed Evening," written on a retro videogame console, was used without credit in "Do It."

The computer composition subculture, known as the "demoscene," and has its origins in groups of composers who make music using outdated consoles, such as the Commodore 64 and the Atari ST. Since the discovery of the similarities between the two songs, many movies defending Tempest have emerged on YouTube. (start here:

On Wednesday, Timbaland appeared on "Elliott in the Morning." He denied the accusations, defended sampling and implied the song was "public domain." Listen here: