Superb movie music composers

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Superb movie music composers

Post by xo »

Who's your favorite movie music composer and soundtracks?

I've been heavily into John Powell for quite some time now. I love his varied flowing and dynamic compositions.

Some of his work.

Paycheck. [dynamics, drama]
Gigli. [rhythm, harmony]
Two Weeks Notice. [rhythm, harmony]
Mr. and Ms. Smith. [...]
Italian Job. [...]
Bourne Supremacy, The. [...]
Bourne Identity, The. [...]
Antz. [rhythm, humor]

I've also found the harmonious compositions of Jon Brion (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) to my liking. Then there's Jerry Goldsmith (Rambo, Star Trek, etc) and John Williams (Star Wars, etc) of course...

What are you into?
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Dont have a specific composer in mind, but I like the following Sound Tracks.

Blade Runner (Vangelis)
Chariots of Fire (Vangelis)
Batman (Danny Elfman)
Indiana Jones (John Williams)
Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)
Gallipoli (Jean Michel Jarre)

You can use this site to find your film/composer: http://www.filmtracks.com/
Last edited by Analog-X64 on 15/02/2007 - 3:04, edited 1 time in total.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

This is an easy one for me as I was brought up on his musical genius and have pretty much all of his work thanks to my dad be an avid collector.

The composer in question is Ennio Morricone:

Way too many films to mention but here are a few:

Once Upon A Time In The West
Once Upon A Time In America
The Untouchables
Disclosure
Wolf

There are loads more, the list is endless!
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I always use moviemusic.com. A commercial site but no nonsense, reliable and comprehensive.

There's also soundtrackinfo but that site is operated by moviemusic.com although just as no nonsense.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I must also mention Vince DiCola for Transformers and the outstanding tracks on Rocky IV.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

I really like Thomas Newman. Did music for Road to Perdition, Shawshank and American Beauty, to name a few. Beautiful soundtracks and not too 'Hollywood' :)

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/tnewman.htm
Anthony N.Putson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Anthony N.Putson »

James Newton Howard, Howard Shore, Alan Silvestri, Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Maurice Jarre, Bill Conti, Harry Gregson-Williams, John Powell, Elmer Bernstein, Basil Poledouris, Patrick Doyle, Tommy Newman, Randy Newman, The Boy Elfman, John Debney.............etc etc....!!! I can`t really get into Silver or Golden age composers like Alex North or Bernard Herrmann. I could talk all day on this subject!!!
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Henry Mancini
Rondo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Rondo »

Analog-X wrote:Gallipoli (Jean Michel Jarre)
I wouldn't count this one as Jarre didn't write any music specifically for the movie. Jarre's Oxygène and Albinoni's Adagio in G minor are prominently featured on the soundtrack, but as far as I know there's no original music in the film at all. Nobody is credited for original music in the IMDB entry at any rate.

Speaking of JMJ, I quite like the score his father Maurice wrote for Dead Poets Society (which, incidentally, is one of my favourite movies if not THE favourite movie). However, I think my favourite film score ever is that of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, composed by Leonard Rosenman.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Oh what a twat - I forgot about Philip Glass & the soundtrack to 'Koyyanisquatsi' (yes - I used a spell checker, OK)? ;)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Charlie clouser - the saw series .. really bloody good music

Danny elfman - too many things to mention but his gothic/orchestra stuff is absolutely amazing.

Howard shore - Gangs of new york has a great soundtrack and of course lotr springs to most minds

Thomas newman - and specifically the soundtrack to meet joe black which was absolutely beautiful

Phillip glass - candyman .. how inspired was that?!

Hanz zimmer - again too many things to mention but the stuff he does always manages to turn what could be an average film into something exciting, which is a really clever thing to do. (like pearl harbour) only thing worth its salt in that movie.

James horner - again too many things to mention just a great composer

and of course goldsmith and williams, classic composers of our time.
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Don't know a lot of filmmusic composers, but there is one movie i love for it's music, and that's Pink Floyd's The Wall !

( and no, not the standard "another brick in the wall, pt2", but tunes likes "Comfortably Numb", and "run like hell" )
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

Alan Silvestri. He's not done anything near as good since, but his soundtracks for BTTF and the two Predator movies really get my pulse racing. I'd say the music for Back to the Future in particular gets more of an emotional response out of me than the theme to Star Wars ever could.

John Powells scores for both Bourne movies are ace too. The chase scene in Supremacy is another excellent pulse quickener. I think it also has to be my favourite car chase ever too, since it's just so agressive and visually jarring.

Ennio Morricone's score for the Dollars Trilogy, in particular For A Few Dollars More... I'm not a fan of westerns at all, but I have those three on DVD. If they didn't have his scores, I probably wouldn't have liked them as much. It was Ecstacy of Gold that drew me into them I think. Fantastic scene, gorgeous music.
Great, another set of strings ruined...
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I'm not really into Alan Silvestri but he really has made a lot of music, perhaps I should look closer and see if there are some pearls among his discography. You should check out more of Powell's work, Maindrian.

Hans Zimmer is a pretty good composer as well. I've been somewhat fascinated by his music earlier, but it a lot of it has a sort of over-drama to it that never let's me fully enjoy it. It probably works perfect in the theatre though. Some of my favorites have been Gladiator, Broken Arrow, Crimsom Tide, The Rock, Mission Impossible 2 and of course, Rainman.

One can't ignore John Barry and James Horner either.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

I absolutely love the soundtrack of Solaris (the remake).
Composer is Cliff Martinez, absolutely unknown to me.