Dance drums

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Instant Remedy
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Dance drums

Post by Instant Remedy »

Anyone got their hands on some decent dance/funky drum/percussion samples lately?
For example Powertraces remix "Blackmail" or Lagerfeldts "Dutch Breeze/Robocop 3". Really Great tunes btw :)
I listened to Nexus drum addon demo and it sounded absolutely great, only thing, I have to get Nexus in order to use the samples.
Free or sampleCDs doesn't matter, only I don't have so much spare time to search around for good samples/soundfonts blindly.

Just browsing around the SampleCD shops doesn't get me any wiser if there aren't any sound demos.

Thanks in advance
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Dance drums

Post by Slaygon »

Instant Remedy wrote:For example Powertraces remix "Blackmail" or Lagerfeldts "Dutch Breeze/Robocop 3". Really Great tunes btw :)
Perhaps this could help: http://www.popmusic.dk/hitkit.html

=)
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

I own this and it rocks totally:

http://www.vengeance-sound.de/eng/DetailsVEC1.html

(done by the same guy who did the drums expansion for nexus and most of it's presets)

Ciao,
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Instant Remedy
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Instant Remedy »

Now this was EXACTLY what I was looking for! The demos sounds great too. Cool coincidence with Lagerfeldts DVD, wasn't aware of this. Thanks alot guys :)
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

I layer different kicks to get the kick I want, it do take some time before i'm happy though :D
It does take ALOT of eq and compression tweaking :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Instant Remedy
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Instant Remedy »

Yes, I've tried that too, but I feel I'm in the need for some fresh sounds and inspiration. Started out with a standard noise snare, and there was tweaking... and tweaking... and then some of the earlier generations of the sound started to sound better than the more processed ones. And then there was tweaking... :)
I'm sure some of the purists and technical perfercionists prefer to do it this way and I like it to some extent, but it can become tedious.

I believe you can get almost any snare or kick-sound by using some standard 808/909kits and get loose with filters and layering and maybe som other effects to loosen/tighten them etc.
A sample CD is a nice shortcut to get closer to what I want though :)

I usually come up with "kits" with drums/bass/pads that I think fit well together and then I go create. Some instruments are replaced with new songs but by just replacing some of the instruments I can tailor the new sound to fit the rest of the kit.
It's more difficult to start in the other end, like finding a nice preset which sounds awesome but doesn't fit into my existing setup. Then you maybe have to replace many of the other instruments to fit that particular sound.

Doing stuff in other genres than I usually do is even more demanding, but is really cool when it's starting to sound like intended to.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Hi IR,

If you like to make your own drum sounds, have a look at Microtonic if you haven't already - it's a tweakers dream!

http://www.soniccharge.com/products

DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Tonka wrote:If you like to make your own drum sounds, have a look at Microtonic if you haven't already - it's a tweakers dream!
You asked me what did i use for the BD in Phobia; well, that's exactly what i used :)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

DHS wrote:
Tonka wrote:If you like to make your own drum sounds, have a look at Microtonic if you haven't already - it's a tweakers dream!
You asked me what did i use for the BD in Phobia; well, that's exactly what i used :)
DAMN fine bass drum! ;)

Even more reason for Mr. Remedy to check it out, umm, 'Instantly'!

See what I did there? *groan*
Instant Remedy
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Instant Remedy »

The demos are on the experimental side but it sounds like you can make it sound real cool. I'll check the demo.
I've tried another drum synth which is free, can't remember the name right now. This one have alot more tweaking options.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

I've recorded a bunch of percussion samples (736 samples)... mainly synthetic ones (not many bassdrums... sorry!). It's samples recorded from my (now sold) Waldorf Rack Attack and the Yamaha FS1R. I've uploaded them here:

Download Percussion.rar

Feel free to download them and use them anyway you want, as long as you do not make money using them on some sample CD or the like :)

A few samples might be repeated in there, but all have been cropped precisely, normalized and all are mono samples 44.1KHz 24bit (with the exeption of a few).

Hope they will prove useful for someone :)

(Please notice that the http://www.putstuff.com website erase big files, if they have not been downloaded in 30 days... so get the file NOW if you want it! ... also notice it's an approx. 40 MB download!)
Last edited by Razmo on 07/07/2007 - 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

By the way, I'm having an Elektron Machinedrum coming home next week, so if you ask me VERY nicely, I might be persuated into recording a bunch of bassdrums for you :wink:

Also have a bunch of Synthetic sound effects I could post, if anyone is interrested?
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Razmo: Thanks for sharing.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog X: Your Welcome :) ... and here is the Synthetic Effects I wrote about earlier:

Download Effects.rar

All sounds made with the Waldorf Rack Attack, 44.1KHz 24bit all (66MB download!).

Same rules as above, have fun.
Instant Remedy
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Instant Remedy »

Nice Razmo, thanks! Never hurt to extend the arsenal no matter what kind of sounds.