Re-remix?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re-remix?

Post by omoroca »

I was just listening to swgreed's first uploaded tune Human Race 4 (Oldschool - feat. o2) and was wondering why it sounds so familar.

First I thought it's because Human Race #4 is one of the most-remixed SIDs ever, but then I found something interesting:
Human race (subtune 4) by o2 sounds almost the same.

So some questions arise: Is this just a remix of a remix? Did o2 take part in this remix or was he just "ripped"?

If anyone knows more, maybe o2 and/or swgreed themselves, please post here!
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

I also sense some Visa Röster in it at 1:15.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Yes I'd like to hear the story behind this too... cause to me its a Mashup rather than a remix or re-work.

Sounds to me like O2's version was mixed in with the original C64 Recording.

I didnt bother listening right to the end, but if you heard Vista Roster in there it is very much possible since there is an Accapella version of this song by Vista Roster.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

Analog-X wrote:I didnt bother listening right to the end, but if you heard Vista Roster in there it is very much possible since there is an Accapella version of this song by Vista Roster.
Yes, I know, that's why I placed a link to the Visa Röster version in my above message. :twisted:

It is definitely sampled from that version, definitely!
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

You are certainly right.... but don't forget that credits has been given to O2, and it's nonprofit :P ...but why Visa has not been credited also I cannot say :?

I have not yet listened to O2's version ... so I cannot say how much the guy added himself though... is it the "drums on top" kind of remix?

Another thing is, that somehow the remix got through the upload judgement, and they must have found it ok... judges sure know the voice of Visa and the sound of O2!? :)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Did somebody hit CTRL-C and then CTRL-V?
That IS 'o2 - Human Race no 4.mp3' with some additions...
even if o2 is credited... hmm, no...

Does somebody try to pull a Timberland on us? :wink:
All is lost.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

What I don't get is, how it got through to RKO without any crediting of Visa... her voice is so low, that maybe they did not notice?

Maybe I should have a listen to the original :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Well... I've listened to both of them now, and it's nothing but O2's tune, mixed with a recording of the original (I think... I'm not 100% certain, there seem to be some stereo panning of the original)... spiced up with Visa here and there... that's about the artistic skill involved here... Don't know if speeds of the three "samples" have even had to be time compressed....

I'm a little amazed as well as you guys :shock: maybe the author could explain, instead of us making up judgements etc.
Scyphe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Scyphe »

razmo wrote:Well... I've listened to both of them now, and it's nothing but O2's tune, mixed with a recording of the original (I think... I'm not 100% certain, there seem to be some stereo panning of the original)... spiced up with Visa here and there... that's about the artistic skill involved here... Don't know if speeds of the three "samples" have even had to be time compressed....

I'm a little amazed as well as you guys :shock: maybe the author could explain, instead of us making up judgements etc.
Maybe Jan was tired and didn't reflect on it? I've noticed he deals with the upload queue late @ night.. ;)
"...Yes, I DID make modules and demos on the Amiga, but I was never in one of the big groups..."
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Scyphe wrote:Maybe Jan was tired and didn't reflect on it? I've noticed he deals with the upload queue late @ night.. ;)
Jan is not alone with judging the queued tracks.

I know that I wouldn't have noticed the whole thing myself on my own; this might have been simply a lapse, so the tune got waved through. No sweat.

Funny enough that swgreed mentioned o2, so that he risked being spotted.
Was this just a big joke? To put us to test?
Would the accused please stand up?
All is lost.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Vosla: yep... I've had the same thought... if someone wanted to test our copyright morale... there has been a few debates on this topic in here recently :blush: (It's not me though!)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

There is another tune that I had issues with and wrote about but it got ignored.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

Analog-X is talking about this one here:
viewtopic.php?t=3836

I have listened to the original NES MID, the remix and the so-called original SID, and I have to agree: The NES tune and the C64 tune don't have anything to do with each other, and the arranger remixed the NES tune, not the C64 tune.

The logical consequence should be that this remix be removed from the databases, as it is NOT a C64 remix.

Bummer! It's a good tune!
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Analog-X wrote:There is another tune that I had issues with and wrote about but it got ignored.
It wasn't ignored, in fact we had quite a long debate about it on the staff/jury-mailinglist. I don't remember why it was decided that it should stay on the site.

Anyway, I fired away an e-mail to o2 to ask him about the remix by swgreed.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Vosla wrote:
Scyphe wrote:Maybe Jan was tired and didn't reflect on it? I've noticed he deals with the upload queue late @ night.. ;)
Jan is not alone with judging the queued tracks.
It's hard for us judges to spot everything when going through the queue (especially at this time, since a lot of us haven't had the time to give the queue the attention it requires). It's after all not our full-time job.

That's why it's good with knowledgeable and dedicated fans who keep their ears pealed. ;)

Mind you, there's quite a lot of stuff that gets blocked before ever making it to the site, and it's not strange in any way that some questionable material make it through the nets.

Jan is also such a nice guy that he'd rather let some things slip through than being a nit-picker.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -