Kettle - how much should I "butcher" it?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Scyphe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Kettle - how much should I "butcher" it?

Post by Scyphe »

I've been browsing with sidplay2/win the last couple of days listening to old favorites as well as new stuff and during my long stay in the Daglish-folder (I always stay there longer than in most other folders) I came upon the classic superfunky and fat bluesy Kettle (sub #1). I figured I'd do that one using my trusty old strat, but the stuff @ 1:15+ is just ridiculous. I can never ever play that crazy shredding-never-intended-for-guitar. Everything before that shouldn't be a problem though. I guess I can do some improvisation or just skip the fast runs (it turns normal again after a while). I've always wondered why there's so few remixes (only 2 @ RKO and they're ooold). Now I know. And it's screaming for a typical blues/funk/rock-arrangement (something Daglish really tried to emulate in his SID's with guitarsolos and all), something not many @ RKO do. So what do you think, can I butcher the thousand-notes-per-second or should I go look somewhere else? ;)

ps. I don't have a set plan on how to 'cover' it yet, I'm still in the 'imagining'-stage. I have several ideas just floating around, like Commitments-style thing, or a more bluesy thing with some funk hang, or maybe a more electronic version with only a guitar lead heavily filtered and transformed.
"...Yes, I DID make modules and demos on the Amiga, but I was never in one of the big groups..."
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Re: Kettle - how much should I "butcher" it?

Post by merman »

Go for the bluesy, Commitments style - I reckon it could work.

As for the fast solo, improvise!
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Yours truly is a big blues fan, so I'd say go for it in that style.

Especially since I never miss an opportunity to moan about no one doing blues-styled remixes. :D
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

even "Press Play on Tape" version is old, it still one of best tune I have heard on the Run-Stop Restore album.