Recruiting for the Tim Follin Arrangement Project

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

I would love to be part of this, Larry, but I'm afraid I'm helping a friend produce a CD, and that will last til at least mid-March. I don't think there will be room for much else. Should I find the time put me down for Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, subtune 11 :)
<--- I went that way --->
Matthew Cannon
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Matthew Cannon »

Thanks Liontamer, I will aim for early April as a release date, and probably do something from G&G.

I remember the first time I heard Tim's music. It was in one of the ocean programmer's offices (I think it was Paul Hughes). They were listening to Black Lamp. Paul commented on how talented Tim was, and I stooped down to listen intently... I realized immediately that this guy was coming from an entirely different place than the other C64 composers. Basically, it sounded authentic, un-pretentious, and humourous too.

Later I worked with Tim at Software Creations, and his output continued to impress. He was also a very self-effacing, laid-back chap who had a mountain of talent, and just did things on his terms.

His contribution to computer games will be missed, but life is often about priorities!!
Liontamer
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA - Community Manager & Submissions Evaluator, OverClocked ReMix

Post by Liontamer »

A BIG thank you & congratulations to Ryan8bit for his Solstice arrangement "Catacombs Beneath the Twilight" winning the Dwelling of Duels: Free Month for Feburary 2006, 1st place among 25 entries! Check out the competition for this past month at http://dod.vgmix.com/past/janfeb06/.

Ryan was working on this for the project on the DL with DoD providing a good excuse to get cracking on it, so neither he nor I could say anything about it. But now that the results are public, I can reveal "Catacombs Beneath the Twilight" as the project's first near-complete mix! Ryan mentioned last week that there would be some very minor tweaking done on the track before it was complete for the project, so we're looking forward to it!

For those interested in something slightly different, Follin has 12 original demo tracks up at his site that are all very very good, but about a 1 minute each. If anyone is willing to do extended arrangements of any of these demos, it would be a great additional aspect along with the VGM being arranged. Hopefully, you'll like these demos.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

This is a f*cking heavy dynamic track indeed. Awesome when the first guitar comes in! Very good!
I'm about 25% finished with my track, still messing around with the drum programming, very complicated.... :x
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I hope everyone here is still on for this project.

Just in case you've not checked the official OCremix thread (or have been in contact with Liontamer), the deadline has been pushed to...eeeehm...June 1'st I think, if memory serves me. So there's still a good month and a half to finish the tracks up. :)
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Hey, good to know, Makke!
I'm at 75% now but this extra time gives me the chance to put in a few gimmicks that I planned.... 8)
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

This means I will get to to finish my track as well... Nice :)
<--- I went that way --->
Liontamer
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA - Community Manager & Submissions Evaluator, OverClocked ReMix

Re: Recruiting for the Tim Follin Arrangement Project

Post by Liontamer »

I'm having a hell of a time attempting to read a Follin interview from an old diskmag, as I've never tried to emulate one before. Download it here.

Would anyone mind walking me through how to read the interview or extract the text of the interview in order to read it apart from the diskmag. I've got D64 Editor, which seems to not be able to display anything looking like text. And, trying to play the diskmag as a tape, CCS64 v3.1 seemingly can only play back the first two sections (Lethal News #006 & Cemetery News!) Any help is appreciated; I'm a complete n00b at this, so if you recommend I use some other programs, I'm all ears.

The arrangement project itself is still chugging away, with several works-in-progress to add to the 8 already completed tracks. I'd really love to get more arrangers from this scene involved if possible. Anything written by Follin is open to be arranged; download ANYTHING of Tim or Geoff's from http://follin.quiteajolt.com/" target="_blank and let me know what you'd be interested in arranging. Big thanks to Binster, Makke and Romeo Knight for their help way back.