"gemafreie-musik"

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Stormy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: "gemafreie-musik"

Post by Stormy »

So, if I understood this correctly, SLAY Radio has to pay GEMA for playing free remixes of any work by before mentioned SID composers?
Makes you appreciate Slaygon's efforts even more.
Terminal Storm.
http://tst.ziphoid.com/
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Romeo Knight wrote:From any blank CD you buy the GEMA gets a certain amount of money.
I forget the Branch of the government here in Canada that collects Levy's, but its big buisness. But they collect Levy's on CD/DVD Blanks regardless if its for Data or not. iPods and any MP3 player has levys and that includes any kind of Memory Upgrades to go with those MP3 Devices.

We dont get to see how much the levy is, since its built into the price.

Oh and our version of GEMA is called "SOCAN" Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada. http://www.socan.ca/
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Stormy wrote:So, if I understood this correctly, SLAY Radio has to pay GEMA for playing free remixes of any work by before mentioned SID composers?
I and the composers liaise with Slay Radio in regard to these matters, and it's not GEMA, it's STIM. It helps that Slay has written blanket permission from me to neutralise any problems that might happen in that direction (as do HVSC and RKO, btw).

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Piet_B wrote:Finally I want to say: If you, Chris want to build up a "normal discussion" with us, I recommend that you organize a german translator for me and my friend (if not from your friends, get another one) and write a very polite E-Mail to us. I've not the time for another controvery like this. That would be against my new intents for this year. Everything has been said now from my side.
Well, I would urge you to consider moving your intents elsewhere, no matter what they are. We've said what we have to say to you now. Over and over again. It's quite boring and annoying to have to say it again. You can't even greet people to a happy new year without putting an insinuation in there as well. What makes you think that's prudent in any way?

Well, I've said what I want (and quite a lot more as well) in all matters regarding you and I once again ask for you to just leave R64 alone, no matter what, since you only stir things up all the time.

You know where to find me if you want to have more unneccessary discussions about all of this, but I don't invite you to write, since I'm on the same side with LMan that I really don't want to have anything more to do with you at all.

@all: Sorry for dragging this thread even more off topic, but that's what happens.

// Ziph.
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Stormy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Stormy »

Chris Abbott wrote:
Stormy wrote:So, if I understood this correctly, SLAY Radio has to pay GEMA for playing free remixes of any work by before mentioned SID composers?
I and the composers liaise with Slay Radio in regard to these matters, and it's not GEMA, it's STIM. It helps that Slay has written blanket permission from me to neutralise any problems that might happen in that direction (as do HVSC and RKO, btw).

Chris
Good, because as one of those (un)lucky remixers whose tracks were accepted and hosted on RKO and played on SLAY Radio, I started wondering how much money I acctually owe Slaygon (for each time they played on radio) and Ziphoid (for hosting all RKO content and thus distributing such a 'copyrighted' material) over the years. Started feeling as if my work just generates expenses to ppl. Which doesn't help productivity all that much, being one of those ppl who doesnt like to be in debt to someone.
Terminal Storm.
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Jim Power »

Stormy wrote:Good, because as one of those (un)lucky remixers whose tracks were accepted and hosted on RKO and played on SLAY Radio, I started wondering how much money I acctually owe Slaygon (for each time they played on radio) and Ziphoid (for hosting all RKO content and thus distributing such a 'copyrighted' material) over the years. Started feeling as if my work just generates expenses to ppl. Which doesn't help productivity all that much, being one of those ppl who doesnt like to be in debt to someone.
C'mon, Stormy - what's that supposed to mean? You don't like the idea that "your work" involves the copyrights of others, namely the artists who created the tunes you remix? Well, I would strongly suggest you focus on writing original stuff and stop remixing in that case. I know there are (few) people in this community who seem to believe the original artists actually owe THEM something, because they are putting so much effort into bringing the old stuff back to life, but that's just not the way copyright works... don't kill the messenger!
Stormy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Stormy »

Jan Zottmann wrote:C'mon, Stormy - what's that supposed to mean? You don't like the idea that "your work" involves the copyrights of others, namely the artists who created the tunes you remix?
I never said that. I don't mind original authors being paid for their work. Esp. SID artists who inspired this whole scene. But it doesn't make much sense if you released something free for the scene, someone else has to pay for it. Perhaps author or distibutor should pay or reach the agreement with original autor, thus leaving it free for anyone else.
Jan Zottmann wrote:Well, I would strongly suggest you focus on writing original stuff and stop remixing in that case.
That's not such a bad idea. I just have to finish something first. :)
Jan Zottmann wrote:I know there are (few) people in this community who seem to believe the original artists actually owe THEM something, because they are putting so much effort into bringing the old stuff back to life, but that's just not the way copyright works...
That's taking it a bit too far. Unless original authors started ordering remixes of their work. :)
Terminal Storm.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Piet: just STOP claiming that C64 music is GEMA-free when it isn't, OK?

Chris
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Jim Power »

Stormy wrote:I never said that. I don't mind original authors being paid for their work. Esp. SID artists who inspired this whole scene. But it doesn't make much sense if you released something free for the scene, someone else has to pay for it. Perhaps author or distibutor should pay or reach the agreement with original autor, thus leaving it free for anyone else.
OK, I apparently got you wrong there. BTW: I'm not trying to advocate copyright as it is, but I'm always a bit surprised to see that a lot of musicians are seemingly not aware of the legal situation when it comes to remixing (this includes big US hip hop producers). I'm actually not sure how it works with the MCPS, but as Romeo Knight pointed out earlier in this thread, artists who have become members of the GEMA can't just put their music on the web for free anymore - again, I'm not saying this is a good / a bad thing, but that's the way it is...
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

For crying out loud, give it a rest. :bash:
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Hey look everybody, there's a guy with his head in the sand!
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Radio (name removed)ative wrote:Willkommen bei "Radio-(name removed)", dem interaktiven Webradio mit Pepp. Hier hört Ihr ständig aktuelle Titel von neuen Künstlern bzw. Solchen die es einmal werden wollen. Dazu gehören hauptsächlich Remixe aus Computer- und Videospielen (Spielemusik), auf die wir uns spezialisiert haben, aber auch Musik aus jeder Richtung sofern sie noch keine Plattenrechte beinhalten, denn wir sind ein völlig GEMA- und GVL-Freies Projekt.
Well... That means this is totally wrong, then?

In my book, "denn wir sind ein völlig GEMA- und GVL-Freies Projekt" means something similar to "because we are a totally GEMA and GVL-Free Project", but that might be just me... It's strange that RP needs to pay for a license if they aren't playing any tracks that NEEDS that license? How's that for charity? Then again, since the C64-music is NOT GEMA-free, then the statement above is a lie even IF RP now is paying the license. Now, who has trouble with the German language? :roll:
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Piet_B wrote:There are many other tracks even we got from artists which aren't affected with GEMA. I described the reasons if you look some posts before. All required licences needing for this are signed and sealed, there's nothing. There's no doubt about that and will never be as well as the fact that retro and SID, MOD remixes will stay free for broadcast not affecting with the GEMA. Dot...End...Finish!
I have a bad case of nerd rage.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> retro and SID, MOD remixes will stay free for broadcast not affecting with the GEMA.
When a composer (e.g. Rob Hubbard) is a member of any copyright agency worldwide, you need a GEMA licence to broadcast any remix of their music, or the original piece. The only reason you refuse to believe this is because it would blow a hole a mile-wide in your broadcast schedule.

You are wrong. I am right. You are not listening. You are illegal in this matter. You are contemptuous.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> Enviousness is calling back their friends, nothing else.

You have nothing I could possibly be envious of, but I'm sure thinking that gives you comfort in your little parallel Universe.

It's much simpler. I'm a pedant. Look it up.
You're saying wrong things about the law which, running a radio station, you have no right to.
I'm correcting you, because you're spreading misinformation: and if it was a mistake before, now it's on purpose. Facts are facts, the law is the law. It's not negotiable, and it's not relative. It applies to you. You. You. You. And also You. Points of view don't come into it.

:bash:

Chris