Amok goes UNZ!!!

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Amok goes UNZ!!!

Post by Amok »

Just an experiment... daXX gave me some hints how to use Limiter and sidechaining. Heres the first result:

http://rapidshare.de/files/39605846/Amo ... C.MP3.html

As i said, just an experiment. No arrangement or melodies here... :wink: I just tried to make a "fat" kick...
Last edited by Amok on 03/06/2008 - 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Re: Amok goes UNZ!!!

Post by skitz »

I can hear the compressor/limiter but what are you side chaining in that piece?
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

skitz wrote:I can hear the compressor/limiter but what are you side chaining in that piece?
With more sidechaining it doesnt sound good, imo... Anyways... Heres an updated Version:

http://home.arcor.de/sternchen1275/Amok-Comp&SC.MP3
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

@ Skitz: in the 1st sample SC was used in a "transparent" way, in the second is very evident and, imho, annoying.

Now, SC is a trick usually used to lower the levels of one of two sounds featuring a similar frequency content when those are to be played in the same time lapse; EG, a bassdrum and a bass. Flexible routing or, in digital domain, flexible pugins, allows to sidechain whatever sound to whatever effect. For example, i could sidechain a bass (as a master) to the cut freqency of an EQ of on a voice. And so on.

It's also a creative tool: you can sidechain whatever you want: in this case, the pads don't need to be sidechained to the bassdrum. It's used instead as a 'creative' variation for the track. About the same thing Dafunk did in his "The 2nd Moment".

There's no such thing as "too much sidechain", "too little sidechain", "too harsh sidechain". There's personal tastes and the result the musician wants to accomplish.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

I understand side chaining quite well now and actually use it for DJing now as my voice ducks the music at my end thus less relying on the compressor / limiter at Slaygons end.

I actually used this in my R1D1 to duck the bass on the kick. FLStudio doesn't even need a plugin to do this as you can simply do it using automation :)

I think what you are looking for is this kind of thing which virtually cuts the buzzy synth on the kick!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7T49_LPt-8
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Amok wrote:daXX gave me some hints how to use Limiter and sidechaining.
Cool, but what is "Limiter" and who is "Sidechaining" (what are those)? Sorry for off-topic. :duh:
Check out my website.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

Mordi wrote:
Amok wrote:daXX gave me some hints how to use Limiter and sidechaining.
Cool, but what is "Limiter" and who is "Sidechaining" (what are those)? Sorry for off-topic. :duh:
"Limter" and "Sidechaining" are two real cool guys who can help you alot... :wink:
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Sidechaining can also be used to great effect on a Delay effect... so that when the signal that are fed to the Delay are sounding, it will lower the volume of the Delay output itself.

This will avoid that the delays will create heavy phase shifting and "mudding up" the dry sound... and when the dry signal disappears, the delays will be clearly audible.

Some Delay processors have this build in... I do not know if any software delay effects does this, but T.C. Electronics Hardware Delay unit "D-Two" does this, and the delays are beautiful.

With regard to sidechaining kick drums to other sounds as bass or pads, I'd firsthand try to check out the EQ on everything bassy exept the kick, and see if it can be remedied using a cut of the lower frequencies first... somehow I hear these "pumping effects" of sidechaining rather easily, and I feel they "suck" the life out of the tune rather often... you have to get the amount "just right!".
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).