Best Melody in a Cruddy SID?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Best Melody in a Cruddy SID?

Post by Steve B »

i love the 'alternate reality' title music
(\c64music\games\a-f\alternate_reallity_ii.sid)

simple but catchy.
dont think anyone has ever remixed it ...
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

OK, so Alternate Reality, Super Cycle, Mail Order Monsters -- 3 in this thread alone "never remixed".

So who was it who said in the "Future of C64 Remixing" thread a week or two back something like... "It's all been Done"? :wink:

For shame! :P Please keep remixing untouched stuff! (especially if they rank in the "favorites" of people here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wI-DX8k ... re=related

Nappe1

Post by Nappe1 »

I am still waiting someone to remix Kris Hatlelid's short masterpiece Test Drive 2 The Duel intro, so that it would keep it's "adrenaline rush" style. :)

Late Night Test Driving mix is nice, but the style is totally different.

anyone knows what happened to Kris btw? I know he being part of the DSI team when they did The Stunts and even later when they did original The Need For Speed (as being EA Canada already), but soon after that he seemed to left from the house and vanished / vaporized in the air. I have been searching the net but I found no trace after that.

IMO, his biggest honor is being the guy who did Test Drive 2 conversion from Amiga to C64. Accolade / DSI did decision originally that The Duel would be 16 bit only, but story goes that Kris did the work for C64 version on his free time and when bosses saw the effort, it was eventually released as well...
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

RobinsonMason wrote:What nice little melodies do you really like that belong to some very low-tech SIDs?

Any come to mind? They don't have to be terrible songs, just simplistic, old-school or not very impressive to listen to in SID format -- but with a neat catchy little tune. Perfect candidates for 1:1 remakes.

Maybe something that sticks in your head - :bash: - like Subtune #12 from Yie Ar Kung Fu (actually I think this is a real pre-existing Chinese song I heard when I took a trip to China) - http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/MOS ... 12.sid.mp3

Or Mail Order Monsters - http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/MOS ... 01.sid.mp3

Or for non C64 specific to give you an idea....the background tunes from Dig Dug or Xevious (for Xevious include both intro and background tracks). Ahhhh! Can't get them out of my head! Burgertime -- ahhhh! :help:

Could be something really long and detailed, too, just...simple...without all of the cool advances and expert techniques in SID sound. Say like the Ultima 3-5 tunes.

Links from Stone Oakvalley's authentic SID collection... http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/ind ... r+monsters

Actually I already remixed a few of these ...

1. Action Biker by Hubbard
2. Demon's First by Demon
3. Entombed

I have one more in the pipeline, but I won't tell which one :P
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Razmo wrote:
3. Entombed

Entombed is such an awesome example of what I was thinking about. And your remix deserves the red-face! I'll have to check out the others.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

RobinsonMason wrote:
Razmo wrote:
3. Entombed

Entombed is such an awesome example of what I was thinking about. And your remix deserves the red-face! I'll have to check out the others.
Thank you :) ... but the other two do not even get close to the remix of Entombed in my own opinion... but the original SID is definitely whimpy in their tone hehe...

Actually that is why I found them fascinating to remix... because many people I play these for, never seem to understand the very well made melodies... they only hear the wining noises of the SID, and go "That is crap!"... and therefore I choose to remix them, and watch peoples face when they hear that the melodies ARE really good, and just needed a proper audible facelift.

I don't know about others, but the more "normal" a SID sounds (particularly the latest creations that utilize the filters and such to full potential) the less interresting it becomes to remix from my point of view, and I believe it's because we start to reach a point, where people prefer the SIDs sound to professionalistic sounds.

One thing I've been dreaming about doing is actually making a remix of a cruddy SID tune, where all instruments are replicas of the SIDs sound as much as possible... but assign the modulation wheel to set in extra oscillators and tweek the sounds to a more modern sound... and as such be able to "morph" the original into total modern sounding by simply turning the modulation wheel on the instrumets... wonder how that would sound hehe :lol:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Good one! One of my top 5 favorite remixes is Chronberg's take on Gyroscope.