Commando

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Commando

Post by LMan »

I wasn't aware that the c64 version of the game contained only a small part of the arcade version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qctKI_t5eY

Rob's interpretation of the music surpasses the original by miles, though.
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Commando

Post by Dumper »

Yes there was too much to squeeze into the C64 and I guess multi-load would have been too much of a pain for such short levels.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Dumper wrote:Yes there was too much to squeeze into the C64 and I guess multi-load would have been too much of a pain for such short levels.
As far as I Know it was planned to be shipped on tape and floppy disk was a later option, so they didn't want the trouble with loading levels from tape into the game?
All is lost.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I think it was in the ZZAP interview that Chris Butler mentioned cutting levels out of Commando to make room for the music?
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
NecroPolo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by NecroPolo »

I haven't seen the original, thanks for the link!

Extra levels, better graphics... Add Robb to the scales and the C64 conversion wins it for me :)
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

merman wrote:I think it was in the ZZAP interview that Chris Butler mentioned cutting levels out of Commando to make room for the music?
Yep. He had the first four levels in the game and Rob's music (at 5k or so) was too big to fit into the remaining space, so he hacked out level 3 to make room for it instead. Hence the C64 conversion only has levels 1,2 and 4 from the 8 in the original arcade.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
vurtX
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by vurtX »

Hi, you can play the original arcade Commando in all its glory on the PC with the MAME arcade emulator, I play all those original C64 conversions on it, its fantastic!

grab mame from here, its free! > http://mamedev.org/

oh yes the arcade music is awful compared to Rob Hubbards Commando, its offensive to call that a remix! He took the original and expanded it into the work of wonder we all know and love :)
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

I think the Commodore Amiga version is almost an arcade copy so cheers to the guys at Elite for making it! :D