Buying Audio Device :) feedback would be appreciated.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Buying Audio Device :) feedback would be appreciated.

Post by Analog-X64 »

Ok... so I sold the phone :) I got $620 U.S. for it, and I've still got the $225 Canadian (cash).

Now I'm dragging my feet in buying what I need to buy.

As suggested, I still need to take some piece of audio with me and see if they will let me demo the two headphones I was looking at. The AKG better sound damn good if I'm going to spend extra $100 over the Sennheiser.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:Ok... so I sold the phone :) I got $620 U.S. for it, and I've still got the $225 Canadian (cash).

Now I'm dragging my feet in buying what I need to buy.

As suggested, I still need to take some piece of audio with me and see if they will let me demo the two headphones I was looking at. The AKG better sound damn good if I'm going to spend extra $100 over the Sennheiser.
I think that the reason AKG is more expensive has to do with the fact, that they are a renowned company for headphones in the music bussiness... they go with many producers in studios, where Sennheiser is probably more known for making HiFi headphones.

Don't let that fool you though! ... I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD600 myself, and they are advertised as HiFi listening headphones but simply sound supperb compared to those I've heard from AKG. One of the reason is probably that the HD600 is open headphones, and the AKG i tried was closed which is better when miking singers in a studio so that the background music does not bleed into the recording.

I'd DEMAND that you get a chance to listen to the headphones Analog-X64... headphones is just as big a decision and personal thing as buying a pair of speakers, so if you cannot hear them first, you might end up with what you like the least.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I'm going down to the store early this Saturday and see if they can demo them for me. The Sennheiser HD600 are more expensive and out of my price range, but they do look very nice indeed. :)
NecroPolo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by NecroPolo »

Razmo wrote:
Analog-X64 wrote:Don't let that fool you though! ... I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD600 myself, and they are advertised as HiFi listening headphones but simply sound supperb compared to those I've heard from AKG. One of the reason is probably that the HD600 is open headphones, and the AKG i tried was closed which is better when miking singers in a studio so that the background music does not bleed into the recording.

I'd DEMAND that you get a chance to listen to the headphones Analog-X64... headphones is just as big a decision and personal thing as buying a pair of speakers, so if you cannot hear them first, you might end up with what you like the least.
I double agree, don't make a choice without testing.

I am really surprised that the HD600 is advertised there as hi-fi phones, here they have a respected place as quality control monitors. One of my fav mastering engineers in my country is famous for using that :)

I partially agree that you pay for the name a little extra in the case of AKG headphones. They work for me because even with this pumped price, I could not find anything with a better price/quality (clarity for detecting/solving problems in the mix) ratio.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I went to our Local music store at lunch time, I didn't have time to test anything but they do have the HD600's and are $499 Canadian.

I have about $834 in total set aside to buy hardware/software $499 is about 60% of my total budge.

I still have to buy an Audio device and software.

Link to my local music store.
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/82 ... phones.htm

PS: Midiman was turned into M-Audio and now it looks like M-Audio is Avid.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:I went to our Local music store at lunch time, I didn't have time to test anything but they do have the HD600's and are $499 Canadian.

I have about $834 in total set aside to buy hardware/software $499 is about 60% of my total budge.

I still have to buy an Audio device and software.

Link to my local music store.
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/82 ... phones.htm

PS: Midiman was turned into M-Audio and now it looks like M-Audio is Avid.
Take a listen to one of the Sennheiser headphones that fits your bill ANX... just because they are cheaper does not mean they are bad... Headphones come in many different price ranges, just take a look at a pair of top notch GRADO headphones... cost more that a pair of ADAM A8X pair of studio monitors! :shock: ... I've never heard them though, but I hardly think I'd need those.

Mixing in headphones is not good practice as you probably know, so there is not really criteria for headphones, when they are just to be used for the creative phase of making music... as long as you feel creatively inspired by using them, they could cost 10 bucks or less, does not really matter... the problem arise if you also want to mix on them... then you need the best you can get, and even then it's not good practice to do it as sound is created very differently inside headphones compared to speakers.

If you mix on speakers, just get what you can afford and sound the nicest to you ANX, don't dwell on reputation or peoples feelings about special brands... it's a personal and very individual thing what makes a pair of headphones ideal to someone. That is why we say "TRY THEM OUT!"... it's the only sure way to know...
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Now when it comes to the Sennheiser headphones do you know if the Higher Model Number is in relation to the higher quality of the heaphones?

I was looking at this list.

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guid ... phones.php

They have the Sennheiser 448's for $99 which is cheaper than the Sennheiser 280's that I can buy locally for $129.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:Now when it comes to the Sennheiser headphones do you know if the Higher Model Number is in relation to the higher quality of the heaphones?

I was looking at this list.

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guid ... phones.php

They have the Sennheiser 448's for $99 which is cheaper than the Sennheiser 280's that I can buy locally for $129.
To be honest, I don't know... I'd rather trust that the higher the price, the better they are in comparison, but be aware of closed headphones... they sound differently as they are closed in a way that will make it seem that the sound seems to originate "from within your head" more than open headphones... I feel that open headphones are more pleasant to listen to in the long run.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I Did it :)

I went to the local music store, they Demoed some headphones, they all sounded great, I liked a pair of Technica's as well, in the end I bought the Sennheiser HD 280's for $119. There was a special going on, so I got the M-Audio Fast Track Pro for $209 Canadian, when I went to the front to pay for everything, there was an additional promotional thing going on and got $10 off my total purchase.

So with tax the total bill came to $371.64. I'm happy with that, and I still have extra left over :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:I Did it :)

I went to the local music store, they Demoed some headphones, they all sounded great, I liked a pair of Technica's as well, in the end I bought the Sennheiser HD 280's for $119. There was a special going on, so I got the M-Audio Fast Track Pro for $209 Canadian, when I went to the front to pay for everything, there was an additional promotional thing going on and got $10 off my total purchase.

So with tax the total bill came to $371.64. I'm happy with that, and I still have extra left over :)
Great!... congrats on your purchase :) ... hope you'll be satisfied
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Razmo wrote: Great!... congrats on your purchase :) ... hope you'll be satisfied
I'm very satisfied so far :) I'd like to start recording right away, but first I have to finish building a ramp for the backyard. Gotta keep the wife happy. :)

I've been listening to some of my favourite tunes and now I can hear some of the sub-bass sounds and other elements much more clearly that I couldnt with my previous Sennheiser's.

I'm listening to Pendulum - Axel Grinder at the moment, and I'm hearing the subtle raspyness of the vocals at the start of the song, which I didn't before.

I can also tell, that I will need to take many breaks to avoid ear fatigue with these ones, and since they are closed, I feel like I'm in my own little quiet room. I find I dont have to turn the volume up as high as my previous headphones.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:
Razmo wrote: Great!... congrats on your purchase :) ... hope you'll be satisfied
I'm very satisfied so far :) I'd like to start recording right away, but first I have to finish building a ramp for the backyard. Gotta keep the wife happy. :)

I've been listening to some of my favourite tunes and now I can hear some of the sub-bass sounds and other elements much more clearly that I couldnt with my previous Sennheiser's.

I'm listening to Pendulum - Axel Grinder at the moment, and I'm hearing the subtle raspyness of the vocals at the start of the song, which I didn't before.

I can also tell, that I will need to take many breaks to avoid ear fatigue with these ones, and since they are closed, I feel like I'm in my own little quiet room. I find I dont have to turn the volume up as high as my previous headphones.
That's normal for closed headphones... they sound louder because the sound cannot escape anywhere but into you head :D ... but it seems like you've got a pair of better headphones than those you had... the sounds you say you hear now in the recording are clear signs of better definition... as long as you feel you'll be enjoying making music with them, they're well spend. The ear fatigue I believe is also more normal with closed headphones... you really have to take care of your ears when using them alot or you end up with tinnitus.