Permission for tunes for a video project

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
CheshireNinja
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Permission for tunes for a video project

Post by CheshireNinja »

Hello, one and all! Apologies for being so direct, but I'm editing a video project I've been working on in my spare time: an internet minseries called "Tangled Rhizome." It's spies and martial arts... some actor-friends and I are hoping to kick off our careers with it (it's definitely Not for-profit). I'd love to use some remixes for the project and I hope this would be a good way to get in touch with the right people. I certainly don't want to use anything without permission or step on anyone's toes.

I guess if any interested artists read this, let me know? There's info on our website, I recommend you start at: http://www.rhizomecorp.com/movie-stills/ Thank you!
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Permission for tunes for a video project

Post by Analog-X64 »

Welcome to the board. Do you plan to have some kind of a teaser trailer?
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
CheshireNinja
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CheshireNinja »

[quote="Analog-X64"]Welcome to the board. Do you plan to have some kind of a teaser trailer?[/quote]

Thanks for your warm welcome! Unfortunately, I don't have a trailer made... the best I can do is the link with the screenshots. I really am just an actor-- editing is very very difficult to me, and while I intended to make a trailer while editing the whole thing, it's just too big a process. So when I do make the trailer, it'll probably only be released a few weeks before the actual finished product.

But yeah, as I'm editing I realized the fight scenes need their music set before editing. Richard Lester's Beatles movies inspired me at a young age and I love to see things synch up, especially action scenes.
CheshireNinja
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CheshireNinja »

Hi again, one and all. I don't mean to "bump" my thread, but since there hasn't been much response, I would like to pose a new question to whoever might come across this...

Have there been other projects that have successfully used some of the remixers' work? I plan on messaging some artists soon, but I don't even know where to begin. Thanks!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

First, build a shortlist of remixes you would like to use. Then PM me with the list, and I'll advise if there are any problems with the underlying tune. (hint: don't use remixes which are covers of stuff). Then it will be up to you to email the arranger via RKO's mail link to ask permission to use their recording.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
AcidBlock

Post by AcidBlock »

I was recently contacted via the RKO email link, quite handy IMO. He wanted to use my remix on his little video and I was more than happy to give permission to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... n-poETZHj8
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

AcidBlock wrote:I was recently contacted via the RKO email link, quite handy IMO. He wanted to use my remix on his little video and I was more than happy to give permission to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... n-poETZHj8
Just for anyone reading this, technically Youtubers should be seeking the permission of the original composer or their publisher as well. Not that lawyers are standing by or anything, and I'm quite happy to help people out with that, but it tends to get overlooked.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
CheshireNinja
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CheshireNinja »

Excellent advice all around, thanks! Also, congrats to you, AcidBlock, getting some exposure for your remix.

(Chris, I'm not sure the best way to PM you, so I sent you an email from my gmail account. Was I off-base?)