New Studio.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

New Studio.

Post by Analog-X64 »

The new studio is pretty much fully functional now.

Left Monitor is connected to a Quad Core system with 64-Bit OS, used mainly for Audio and 3D Graphics production.

Center Monitor is a Single Core PC used for Photoshop work and stageing of the 3D graphics to be rendered on the Quad Core system.

Right Monitor is an extension of the Single Core PC, simply used to surf the web and such.

d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: New Studio.

Post by AndyUK »

DAMN!!!! Nice setup.. :shock: ( but.. but... but.. 3d on the smaller monitor??? ) heh.. You have a gallery of you 3d stuff anywhere?? I'd like to see that. .. Bryce/Vue are my weapons of choice with wings3d as modeller/texture . Haven't done anything for a while though :-

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/ ... _id=107008

But .. as before.. DAMN!!! hehe
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Very nice. Though no outboards I take it? All is done within the two boxes? Which one is slaved? Do you have a mixer? And where do the monitors go? The VDUs seem to take up all the real estate.

....And, most important of all, where's the C64?

but.. but... but.. 3d on the smaller monitor???
It's not smaller. It's perspective !
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

AndyUK wrote:DAMN!!!! Nice setup.. :shock: ( but.. but... but.. 3d on the smaller monitor??? ) heh.. You have a gallery of you 3d stuff anywhere?? I'd like to see that. .. Bryce/Vue are my weapons of choice with wings3d as modeller/texture . Haven't done anything for a while though :-

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/ ... _id=107008

But .. as before.. DAMN!!! hehe
As commie said, its all in the perspective, all 3 monitors are 4:3 Aspect ratio and are the same size, and have the ability to rotate from Landscape to Portrait.

I have stuff everywhere if you look hard enough :)

especially in the artwork forums right here: viewforum.php?f=36
If you look at the one titled "Core" that one is modeled in Bryce with Boolean procedures.

My Gallery on Rendo.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/ ... _id=332841

Its hard to see in the Photo but on the right hand side of the photo there is a Wacom tablet with the Mouse that came with it just above the silver headphones.

I use a combination of Bryce / Carrara both Pro editions. I animate in Carrara, just a day ago I submitted a demo reel animation for a podcast, just waiting to see if they will choose my submission over the others. Nothing too fancy.

I've tried Wings3D before, modeling is my weakest point, when it comes to 3D oh and Lighting too, I'm always struggling with that.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Commie_User wrote:Very nice. Though no outboards I take it? All is done within the two boxes? Which one is slaved? Do you have a mixer? And where do the monitors go? The VDUs seem to take up all the real estate.!
I'll try and answer most of the questions :)

- Currently all sounds are generated via VST's.
- The M-Audio Fast Track Pro + M-Audio Keystation 49e are responsible to produce the audio and tactile interface
- All audio production is done on the Quad Core system (Left Monitor)
- When I'm building a scene, I use the single CPU system and when I'm ready to render, I save the file to a network shared folder.
- If I'm doing a single image, I will either use the SIngle CPU or Quad core cpu depending on complexity and time.
- For animations, I use the Quad core system as the Primary system with 4 other PC's as the Clients using Network Render option.
- My Home network is Gigabit which helps with the Network Render option and moving large amount of files around.

So where are the outboards? MIxer? C64??

Well at the moment they are all stored in the basement, but plan to incorporate them into the current setup, with a type of VST / Real Hardware configuration.

I have 2 x C64 / 1 x C64C / 1 x C128 / 1 x AMIGA 2000HD as far as 8-Bit Commodore computers.

I also have Atari 1040ST and Atari 1040STE

Midi Gear:
Alesis 16 Track mixer console with ceramic pots (very quiet board), Roland SH-101, Roland MKS-30, Roland W-30 Sampling Keyboard, BOSS SE-50 Effects processor, BOSS Stereo enhancer, Kawai XD-5 Digital Drum Synth module, EMU 5000 Pro Sampler, Elektron SID Station and probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I think it's just amazing we can have what we have. A worsening economy my ruin a new boy's progress but for the rest of us with only upgrades or mods or spares left to get, it's mindblowing to say we can even do all this at home - never mind well.

Even entry-level does me very well, with second-hand organs, valve units and allsorts playing their part. Hell, even my local charity shop sells used LCDs for £10-20 each. In all, you still end up spending a hefty sum of disposable income, but even now I just can't get over having all this to record complex ideas automatically wasted with gear of just 20 years ago.

I don't need drugs to have an experience, just think about home studio technology.
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Analog-X64 wrote:
As commie said, its all in the perspective, all 3 monitors are 4:3 Aspect ratio and are the same size, and have the ability to rotate from Landscape to Portrait.
Heh commie mentioned perspective, but was on about spreading the display over the 2 monitors running the display over 2 screens off the one box? That's really nice if you've not tried it.. Makes the work cycle a lot easier.. especially when texturing or modelling. I saw the "core' render a while back, just wasn't sure what program rendered it. Has a Bryce/Cinema4d feel' You'll know what I mean. I couldn't work out which.

Oh and the Rendi Gallery, NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!. bryce does awesome abstract images and I see you've got the renderer well under control. CubeIt must have took an age to render, or is it reflection based illusion? I'd seen some of your work here on the forums, but with photoshop you never know what is created or plugin. I've seen people on some forums reduced to 8bit quality images when they run a no-plugin compo. You ever do any Amiga dpaint stuff?? Might have to drop a few oldies up in the artwork forum here..

What do you think of the Wacom? I have a one of the old Intious A4 pads with the mouse, and gotta say I dislike that mouse with a passion..

If you want I'll pull out some old lighting 101's I did a while back for a few friends of mine on a yahoo groups forum. just the basics' 3 point lighting. light domes etc etc..

Either way, quality work pal.. On both skills sets too. :worship:

Analog-X64 wrote:I have stuff everywhere if you look hard enough :)

especially in the artwork forums right here: viewforum.php?f=36
If you look at the one titled "Core" that one is modeled in Bryce with Boolean procedures.

My Gallery on Rendo.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/ ... _id=332841

Its hard to see in the Photo but on the right hand side of the photo there is a Wacom tablet with the Mouse that came with it just above the silver headphones.

I use a combination of Bryce / Carrara both Pro editions. I animate in Carrara, just a day ago I submitted a demo reel animation for a podcast, just waiting to see if they will choose my submission over the others. Nothing too fancy.

I've tried Wings3D before, modeling is my weakest point, when it comes to 3D oh and Lighting too, I'm always struggling with that.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

AndyUK wrote: Heh commie mentioned perspective, but was on about spreading the display over the 2 monitors running the display over 2 screens off the one box? That's really nice if you've not tried it.. Makes the work cycle a lot easier.. especially when texturing or modelling. I saw the "core' render a while back, just wasn't sure what program rendered it. Has a Bryce/Cinema4d feel' You'll know what I mean. I couldn't work out which.
That is what I meant by extension on my last description text. Both PC's can be dual monitor mode, because all monitors and pc's have VGA/DVI capabilities. I'm glad you had difficulty figuring out what I rendered with. I always try to avoid that "Look" that people can tell what software was used. Same with FL Studio, I tried to not make it sound like another FL Studio audio production.

AndyUK wrote: Oh and the Rendi Gallery, NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!. bryce does awesome abstract images and I see you've got the renderer well under control. CubeIt must have took an age to render, or is it reflection based illusion? I'd seen some of your work here on the forums, but with photoshop you never know what is created or plugin. I've seen people on some forums reduced to 8bit quality images when they run a no-plugin compo. You ever do any Amiga dpaint stuff?? Might have to drop a few oldies up in the artwork forum here..
"Cubeit" consists of 311 Objects and 2824 polygons, all objects including light source are encapsulated inside a reflective sphere to kind of multiply the number of objects without taking too long to render. I used Bryce 7.1 Pro for this.

My photoshop work is done with CS2 and I tried to avoid plugins when possible. I mainly use gradients and layer options.

In the example of the ocean logo, everything is done with layers and gradients, the only plugin used was the streaks that you see, with "Kais Power Tools" which was made by the original creators of "Bryce" and that is a lens flair effect.

I would like to one day create a tutorial on how I made this image.

AndyUK wrote: What do you think of the Wacom? I have a one of the old Intious A4 pads with the mouse, and gotta say I dislike that mouse with a passion..
I have the Wacom Graphire 4x4 unit, like you I hat the mouse, the only reason I dont throw it in the garbage its because it cost a bit of money buying the tablet.

I dont use the Wacom for everything, main for photoshop work when I need to do some freehand work.

AndyUK wrote: If you want I'll pull out some old lighting 101's I did a while back for a few friends of mine on a yahoo groups forum. just the basics' 3 point lighting. light domes etc etc..
Yeah that would be cool, would love to see them.
AndyUK wrote: Either way, quality work pal.. On both skills sets too. :worship:
Thanks, I practice as much as I can, I've done a few worth1000.com contests too, just to challenge myself.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Alright, this is the world of today. But I wonder how many of us had a hankering for this little piece of bedroom studio joy:

The Amstrad Studio 100 was certainly a great little idea for 1985 - a cassette four-track integrated into a box stereo. I certainly saw it and thought that it must surely be the most technically advanced home gadget ever. But what's the betting it was one of the most lo-fi, hissy systems there were. Crap mikes and no inserts spring to mind, though it did have some noise reduction, reverb (as the commercial implies), varispeed (as the knob implies) and master EQ. (Driving the signal into the red could give you your compression.)

Drink it in: http://www.hoofbags.me.uk/Even%20More%2 ... 00%202.jpg

But imagine - the Studio 100, Commodore 64 with keyboard overlay software and something like the Casio PT-30 or one of the new cheap tiny drum sets. A young boy could have a small-scale version of what we enjoy at home now, with the ability to boast that the kids of just 6 years before could have practically nothing unless daddy was rich.