Mission of mercy (Filmscore) Remix

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Mission of mercy (Filmscore) Remix

Post by poke16384 »

Hi all..

Been a while since I've been on the site.. or indeed, since I've really worked on any remixes.. Just wanted to announce my 2 new remixes which you can listen to on the remix64 website... and to clear something up about the MoM remix. It was never intended to be a FULL filmscore... (let's be honest nobody is gonna submit a 2 hour remix). In my mind, it was a 5 minute glimpse into what Mission of Mercy would sound like as an action movie, (the kinda thing I've played to film-makers/Directors during production of a score). SO! PLEASE do not be offended by the fade out... It was meant to be... All parts of the original are there somewhere in the score.. so, mission accomplished for me.

Oh and BTW I've also completely re-instrumented 'Monty on the run' from 2011 and re-scored some parts, (can't believe it's been 6 years since I uploaded the 1st one).

Gimme a shout if you want to know anymore about the story behind 'Mission of mercy becomes Double Take'... or just say Hi! I need to get to know peeps again. As ever, Give me whatever feedback you wish on the 2 remixes, if you feel inclined. It's all welcome..

I've been quite busy since I was last on: I've worked with a couple of film-makers and a guy making time-lapse movies. I'm back in a band almost full time doing mainly covers but some original songs too, (unusual setup 4-piece singing & playing live to digital drum tracks). I suddenly discovered I could write songs in 2016.. Only took me 56 years to do it..

Anyway, let's chat...

Pete
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Mission of mercy (Filmscore) Remix

Post by Doddsy »

I really enjoyed this track. I thought the instrumentation and playing was of a very high quality. I was wondering if you could let us in on what you used. Was it a real orchestra, samples or synth modules? My Batman remix was done using mainly my JV 2080.
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Hi again Doddsy.. and thanks for your comment. :)

I wrote the piece in about 4 or 5 chunks which gave me the chance to completely change the instrument line-up for each chunk. The opening is pure orchestral strings with french-horns behind, (samples 100%). The rest is about 90/10 samples/synths. I have an old CS80 which I've almost got rid of so many times but fortunately didn't. I used it a lot in this remix for things like the "alien ship drone" and hisses; and also a lot of stabs and stings, (usually with ambience and echo). I tend to write using 100% samples, (Reaper DAW, Kontakt sample packs, MIDI keyboard) and then substitute real synths or other instruments later.

I did a soundtrack for a time-lapse video, for which the brief was 'I want Vangelis & JMJ' and I used the CS80 a lot in that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwYTvkJv5n8

...and just as an example of 99% orchestra samples and 1% synth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3OHeKBOw4

I really enjoyed doing the '3 queens vid' because Andy, (the photographer) sent me the edited video and then I got to write the music to what I was seeing on the screen. Brilliant for sync-ing musical accents to the video action... (however, once you put it on youtube, the sync gets messed up a bit!)

Other than that, I still have my mk1 Fender Rhodes and a Yamaha DX5.. but I have sample packs for both of those and TBH, I can't tell the difference once they're in the mix.
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

Thanks for taking the time to post the info - an interesting read this track should win this years remixer of the year! I look forward to listening to more of your remixes. Btw appreciate the comment you left for my remix, a lot of hours were put into that one, as im sure you well know from your own productions. I used to play in the local brass band as a kid so i general hate synthetic brass but i do try and get a close as sound as i can get using my jv module. Should really use my trumpet but theres the neighbours to think about! :? Quite envious you own a cs80 now thats a real players synth!
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

poke16384 wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">15/01/2018 - 12:32</span> I did a soundtrack for a time-lapse video, for which the brief was 'I want Vangelis & JMJ' and I used the CS80 a lot in that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwYTvkJv5n8

...and just as an example of 99% orchestra samples and 1% synth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3OHeKBOw4
Thanks for these links, Peter! I really enjoyed both the videos and the music! :)
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Hi Imre...

Firstly, thx for your review, perceptive and even-handed as ever.... :-D

...and regarding the time-lapse stuff...

The work I did with Andy Shukie was really enjoyable and quite challenging, (which is good!). He's a real Pro, (for an amateur) and spends a lot of time getting the shots he wants. I think he captures light and mood really well. For the '3 queens' video he shot nearly 15,000 photos over 3 days and the results speak for themselves. The video was silent when it was sent to me, (obvs, it's all photos). So, from a music/sound perspective, my 2 favourite bits are at 3:56, (where the liver building gets images projected onto it).. getting it to sound like we can hear the distant soundtrack coming from across the river... and at 4:41 putting sound in sync for the fireworks... Oh! and I'm quite pleased with the 'Strauss-ish' waltz when the 3 ships turn in sync..

There is one other video which I did with him, if you enjoyed these two. The brief for this was ' Peter, you clearly know what you're doing, write a soundtrack'.. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upr0BCk5-Mc
Doddsy wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">15/01/2018 - 20:43</span> Quite envious you own a cs80 now thats a real players synth!
@Doddsy.. There's a CS80 sample pack by Arturia. By all accounts it's good, (as long as you understand oscillators, filters and envelopes etc) and it's gonna be a fraction of the price of real CS-80. (in fact, I've just looked: 149 euros..) https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/cs-80v
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

poke16384 wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">16/01/2018 - 16:59</span> @Doddsy.. There's a CS80 sample pack by Arturia. By all accounts it's good, (as long as you understand oscillators, filters and envelopes etc) and it's gonna be a fraction of the price of real CS-80. (in fact, I've just looked: 149 euros..) https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/cs-80v
I am fairly certain Arturia's CS80V is not a sample pack, but an actual emulation of the entire CS80 circuitry.

There's also a free alternative that is quite good, too: Arminator by Krakli Plugins:

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... or&id=2816

It's 32-bit Win VST only, but it is a very convincing emulation of the CS80! Tons of Vangelis presets, too. :)
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

poke16384 wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">16/01/2018 - 16:59</span> There is one other video which I did with him, if you enjoyed these two. The brief for this was ' Peter, you clearly know what you're doing, write a soundtrack'.. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upr0BCk5-Mc
Yes, I agree with him: you clearly know what you're doing! :D
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

Enjoyed the youtube links, Liverpool is only up the road from me and I must say Andy's done a great job at promoting the city through his images and the music sounds fantastic - sort of Bladerunner meets Jarre. I'm glad you didn't opt for a soundtrackesque Beatles soundscape which could have been an obvious choice.
I've got the Cs80V and as LaLa said, it's an emulation of the circuitry of the original, though IMO it sounds close but it's no substitute for playing the real thing. I always find a use for it in my remixes. You can hear it for example at the end of my Robin of the Wood remix.
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Yeh! My mistake on the CS-80v.

It's amazing how some sounds/music just stay with you, (i.e. Vangelis & Bladerunner). Those sounds are just so distinctive written in that style. I've watched the movie more times than I can count, (last time about a month ago). The opening sequence still gets me everytime!

I've taken the time to read back through some of the posts on the forum and I gotta say - I think things have improved since the last time I was on regularly, in relation to tactical voters and hate-voters. However, it's still there, (2 x greys on my Monty remix already). I know it doesn't matter really but it still makes you wonder...
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

I think hate voters don't really support the remix scene. I mean people are entitled to their opinion and if something is really bad then fair enough but your Monty remix clearly doesn't deserve a grey- just as my Batman remix didn't deserve bad ratings because it's not sid to midi, nor was it badly played. In fact over 100 hours was spent doing that remix. I suppose it could have been mastered a bit louder. Overall I'm happy with the overall score and silly votes won't deter me and hopefully you from doing what we enjoy doing - remixing sid tunes. :D
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

It's about enjoying the process, really.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?