Mixing with headphones...

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

mixing with headphone IMO require at least a 300€ headphone...

my 30€ phillips headphone sucks a lot...waste of time... :lol:

I prefer waiting for daylight than mixing by night on this shit.... :wink:
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

The headphones should be very good, not very expensive. I don't think you need to spend *that* much. :D
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Just for you professionals and ambitioned amateurs to laugh about:

This is only remotely linked to remixing but if I happen to do noises for other people, I have to use headphones for "post-production", because playing the sound aloud would turn a lot of people mad...

My "equipment" is cheap, old or both. Headphones give me often a hint to clicks, hisses and high-pitched noises in a sample, something that would be"drown" when put through my ITT HiFi 8031 Amplifier.

If I can't figure out why a sample doesn't work on the ITT, I go back to the headphones for routing out errors (such as fan-droning from my PCs). :roll:
All is lost.
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:The headphones should be very good, not very expensive. I don't think you need to spend *that* much. :D
I think the minimum to mix & master, without having to change the sound once played on the hifi, is the Sony MDR 7509....

http://www.proaudioreview.com/december00/Sony-Web.shtml
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

That's all blabberblabber. :wink:
Seriously:
The most important thing is and will ever be: knowing your monitoring system, knowing your acoustics. Getting a feeling for it. Knowing how it sounds on high levels, on low levels, knowing its frequency response. Knowing it compared to other systems. Even knowing your own ear, how your musical receptiveness changes during mixing sessions, and so on.
If this is provided the actual quality of the equipment is not really important anymore. Not for producing pop music in the broadest sense.
(For 20 years audio engineers all over the world mixed professional productions on Yamaha NS-10 nearfield monitors that just sound like a huge pile of shit. Anyway, every studio had to had them to be "compatible". That is the real world.)
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

Romeo Knight wrote:That's all blabberblabber. :wink:
Seriously:
The most important thing is knowing your own ear
:hysterical:
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

You know, Gibs, for faking quotes you can choose death penalty or 24 hours listening to your own re...ehem..DJ Subslash's IK+ remix. :evil:
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

Romeo Knight wrote:You know, Gibs, for faking quotes you can choose death penalty or 24 hours listening to your own re...ehem..DJ Subslash's IK+ remix. :evil:
I prefer death penalty :hysterical:

best tool for mixing :

Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Well, here it is...

Post by Tonka »

OK - after listening to all of your comments, I have decided that rather than spend copious amounts on headphones or monitors that I would spend moderate amounts on these:

M1 Active 520 monitor speakers (with 'Low Frequency Density Switch for acoustic space adjustment of the monitors' - probably a load of bollucks, but it suckered me in! Apparently you can adjust the sound relative to where your speaker placement is and the acoustics of the room)...

-link removed per request from djdeals-

Aaaannnnnddd, these:

AKG 240DF

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=781

End of the day, if I ever get THAT good/rich/famous, I'll get some other poor bastard to mix my tracks for me!!!

Thanks all :)

Tonka
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Tonka - you complete and utter bugga! Now I want those speakers - M1 Active MK2's look old in comparison :)
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

skitz wrote:Tonka - you complete and utter bugga! Now I want those speakers - M1 Active MK2's look old in comparison :)
ImageHa-ha! Skitz has geriatric speakers!...

Oh c'mon, you KNEW that was a comin' ;) In all seriousness though, these are retailing at other places for £250, so that pretty much swung it for me (that and their portable(ish) size and the low frequency thingamajig). They have some big brothers too (if you have the space)...

-link removed per request from djdeals-

Tonka
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

While i understand the importance of monitor speakers, i can't use them.

My audio system is so "consumer" you couldn't believe it.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

DHS wrote:While i understand the importance of monitor speakers, i can't use them.

My audio system is so "consumer" you couldn't believe it.
Funny you should say that because the Yamaha NS10 monitors that Romeo was taking about earlier in the thread, were (allegedly) used so widely for that very reason - they sounded just like consumer hi-fi speakers! Go figure :roll:

I'm really starting to get the impression that a mix is kinda like a remix: you just can't please everyone! Some will think there's too much bass, some not enough and blah blah. As the mixer obviously can't cater for everyones audio system, you can never create the 'perfect' mix... Just have to do the best you can, I guess!

Tonka
MogBog
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by MogBog »

DHS wrote:I still do think that mixing with headphones is like swimming without arms.

:shock:
Amen, ... my neighbours do not think so :lol:

Before I sometimes did mixing in two steps:
Headphones - (at night when I had to be still) main sequencing/ sample edit..
Stereo - (at daytime) adjusting sound levels and other modulators...

Now I do only the last, trying to not play too loud after midnight ...
It's like recording the elguitar without the distortion and than apply it after, impossible to fine tune the soundscape...
Musikk er n0kkelen !
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

For production and generic listening I have two pairs of Sennheiser HD600 headphones (one for work and one for home) which are just awesome regarding sound quality and comfort, but for the final mixing headphones are never good enough.

For mixing I use Genelec 1030A's that work pretty nicely even though they really would need subwoofer (which I can't afford) to go low enough on the bottom end.

To verify mixes I use my livingroom setup with very basic Infinity speakers, small headphones (AKG Porta Pro) and maybe the most important of all: Powerbook's built-in speakers. If the mix works fine on all those, it's done.

Sumppi