FIFA World cup 2006 in Germany

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I thought we played excellently in the the first half, Paraguay hardly had a look in. Then Sven made some bizarre decisions by taking off a striker and then by bringing on Hargreaves who in my opinion isn't good enough.

We did win in the end but it was an anxious finish.

Trinidad played very well i thought in a game sweden should have won and convincingly. I suppose the result favoured us because if we beat Trinidad on Thursday we are through to the next round.
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

tas wrote:Then Sven made some bizarre decisions by taking off a striker and then by bringing on Hargreaves who in my opinion isn't good enough.
Well everyone I know agrees that Hargreaves is a joke and should never be playing for England. He's at best an average player, it's only cos Bayern Munich are dominating German football at the moment that makes him look anything like half decent.

Actually his most bizarre decision was risking a half fit Wayne Rooney (and I'm sick of all the hype surrounding the one player - what about the other 22 members of the squad huh?). Suppose we might have been knocked out in the first round, then it would have been a waste of time? And why bring Theo Walcott if he's not going to be used? (something Ian Wright picked up yesterday). And why not take five strikers instead of four and get Jermain Defoe or Darren Bent in there who can actually score goals?

Leaving Crouch up front on his own was plain daft. He may be able to get balls in the air, but who the hell is he going to knock them down to? No one. As the game progressed England were too content to defend the lead by staying in their own half, something I've seen countless times under Eriksson (and often failed at doing). It was only because Paraguay were average that made us look good in the first half, other teams would definitely not have let us run the game like that.

And if Trinidad show the same spirit and pride like they did on Saturday, they might just surprise us. We cannot be complacent.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I think it's a massive gamble by not taking Defoe or one of the other strikers. We already know Rooney is unlikely to start in the opening games and there is big question marks over Owens fitness. That leaves us with just crouch and the rookie Walcott who seems will not play unless injury forces it.

If anything happens to Owen or Crouch and Rooney cannot play then i'm desperately concerned for our chances.

I think we have a squad who can win this competition, but i feel Sven's inaptness at tactical decisions, use of subs and gambling will in the end undo our chances.

I agree you cannot leave crouch up there on his own; he's a playmaker/target man and never has been a player of the owen calibre who can play up there on his own.

If owen had to come off and Walcott wasn't going to play then surely carrick or Carrager should have come on pushing Gerrard further up into the Rooney role.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Sven's major tactical mistake was letting Joe Cole drop behind Crouch when he brought on Downing - Joe should have been playing right up top, letting Crouch knock the ball on to him.

Still, at least we are consistently inconsistent. It will be a miracle if England actually manage to string together 90 minutes of good play in a single match...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Germany V Poland tonight..

Interesting game for the Brits this. If Germany finish top of their table and we finish 2nd then we'll play each other in the next round. :shock:

Something however suggests that we'll end up playing Poland. These cups we always seem to play poland.. or Sweden.. We've already got Sweden ;)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

The match was a pain to watch with a solely goal on the last 3 minutes. Poland played very well yet way too defensive.

Would have been a nice sporting event if it wasn't a good cover up for Germany's other pressing problems...

panem et circenses

Sorry, I'm not such a WM fan...
All is lost.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Give us an E... cuador! 3-0!
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Woooooo! too much to drink last night.

Trinidad are a difficult side to play against, 10 men behind the ball. Thought we looked quite average and maybe the 2-0 scoreline kind of flattered us a bit.

We are through to the knockout stages so the swedish game wont have much bearing. So it looks like we play either Ecudor or Germany in the next round.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

tas wrote:Trinidad are a difficult side to play against, 10 men behind the ball. Thought we looked quite average and maybe the 2-0 scoreline kind of flattered us a bit.
The game looked exactly like Swedens, except for the goals, of course. ;)

Nah, but it was pretty much the same. England had a bunch of chances to score, but didn't until right at the end. England looked a bit stressed.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

How well Ecudor have played in this competition Germany will have to raise their game significantly to beat them.

Same with England today, we have Sweden who we have never beat since 1968.

On paper we should beat Sweden, on History Sweden should beat England - So, it's looking like a draw. :lol:
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

tas wrote:On paper we should beat Sweden, on History Sweden should beat England - So, it's looking like a draw.
Haha, it's time for the mandatory draw between England and Sweden.

Sweden has to win to make it to the next round though! T&T will, if they keep playing like they have, beat Paraguay who have absolutely nothing to play for.

It's going to be a pretty exciting game, me thinks. :)
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Seems Germany has won 3:0 today.
All is lost.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Well done, chaps. Another draw!

Same time next year? ;)
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Well in truth England's defending was nothing short of shocking. We kind of got away with it in the first two games but every time Sweden got a decent set piece, they made the most of it and made us look troubled, and fair play to Sweden for keeping going, even at 2-1 down.

Apart from Joe Cole, who played really well, and deserved his superb goal, most of the England squad underperformed. It says a lot when the next best player on the pitch was Owen Hargreaves to be honest..

The worst player for me tonight was Beckham - way too many overhit crosses and to top it off, slack marking on Allback for the first Swedish goal then he has the cheek to tell the defence to get tight, idiot!
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I thought we played very well in the first half but lost shape in the second and defended terribly against set pieces. On the balance of play i think a draw was a fair result and we finish top of the group and not only avoid playing Germany but also Argentina in the quaters.

Sweden V Germany and England V Ecudor.

What a stunner from Cole though - could well end up being the goal of the tournament.

I as many think Hargreaves is poor, but he played very well against sweden in his prefered role. I also thought Beckham had a very poor game.

With Owen out now for the rest of the tornament how bad is it looking on the striker front. Its not looking the best of ideas to only bring 4 strikers.