Winter Depressions

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Do you feel sometimes depressed in winter time?

Yes, but not only in Winter time (Specify if you want)
29%
Yes
18%
No
53%

Total votes: 17

LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Re: Winter Depressions

Post by LMan »

Analog-X: I recently made a list of my projects that I really really wanted to finish. The remaining projects I put away into an "abandoned" folder. Then I worked away the projects one after another, and vowed not to start any new projects until the list was done. It requires some discipline, and the determination to abandon the less important projects, but it works miracles on motivation and inspiration.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

LMan wrote:Analog-X: I recently made a list of my projects that I really really wanted to finish. The remaining projects I put away into an "abandoned" folder. Then I worked away the projects one after another, and vowed not to start any new projects until the list was done. It requires some discipline, and the determination to abandon the less important projects, but it works miracles on motivation and inspiration.
That was a good idéa, I should also do a "abandoned" folder, I tend to start up new projects all the time though I can't handle what I have at the moment :shock:

I am a few month/years behind schedule on stuff I probably never will finnish, and YET I tend to start new stuff :/

I have no discipline :( :help:

I guess I'm pushing myself too much thinking that I can handle everything at the same time, I don't know my limitations...
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

LMan wrote:Analog-X: I recently made a list of my projects that I really really wanted to finish. The remaining projects I put away into an "abandoned" folder. Then I worked away the projects one after another, and vowed not to start any new projects until the list was done. It requires some discipline, and the determination to abandon the less important projects, but it works miracles on motivation and inspiration.
Now do you go back to the "abandoned" folder once the other ones are finished?
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

No. Once in a while I go back there and check up on what I had started back then, but I have never finished one of those. If the temptation is too big, you might also want to consider deleting them completely.

True story: I once had a harddisk crash, killing a lot of my unfinished projects. After the frustration wore off, a feeling of relief set in. :)

Edit: There's one occasion I went back to the abandoned folder: Ghosts n Goblins. That only worked because I shipped it to Larsec - he poured new ideas in it and it came back to life. Wouldn't have been able to do that on my own. So sometimes getting someone to colab can save dead-end projects. But most of the time there is a reason for projects to become abandoned - they're based on a good idea but in the end there's nothing to be made of it (if you don't want to do a half-assed job that is). :)
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

LMan wrote:But most of the time there is a reason for projects to become abandoned - they're based on a good idea but in the end there's nothing to be made of it (if you don't want to do a half-assed job that is). :)
Hey - this sounds strangely familiar! ;)

I have only very recently discovered the benefits of collaborating on projects (I am generally a terrible control freak). For one it eases the pressure of writing, but more importantly it increases motivation when you hear someone else's 'take' on your ideas.

Anyway, I'm going OT. I haven't really suffered from depression since my first child was born. I still get down, but there is usually a reason attached thesedays and is nothing like the feeling of total despair and isolation that I have previously encountered.

I guess I'm just very, very lucky that starting a family put an end to (most of :lol: ) my misery!...
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

LMan wrote:True story: I once had a harddisk crash, killing a lot of my unfinished projects. After the frustration wore off, a feeling of relief set in. :)
A harddisk crash can be a true blessing. I had a massive on a few years ago, killing all my unfinished tunes, and it was such a relief!

Sadly it took along a few of my source files and masters for finished work that I hadn't backed up. I only back up finished work. Backing up all my W.I.P.'s and M.F.S.D.B.P.N.W.'s (Might Finish Some Day But Probably Never Will's) would be too much work. Generally, if a song's not finished within a month there's a 95% chance it'll never get finished, and if it does get finished it'll take me two years. I'm very much a momentum kind of guy...

And to keep with the topic:
I wouldn't say I get depressed during winter, but the lack of sunlight quite often gives me the blues. Here in Scania fall and winter usually means non-stop rain and generally gray weather from October to April. LMan was on to something when saying the lack of contrast lowers the mood.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I had a hard disk crash back in 2003 (I think) that wiped out a fair amount of stuff, including the FTC Humphrey remake, and some other stuff. Maybe we should start a virtual "virtual.kwed.org" site for submitting remixes that never were, or are not now.

Talking of which, doesn't anyone have that "Humphrey done by me" I did back then? Makke, I'm looking at you...!!!

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Reminds me of an USB stick I got a while ago, brandnew then. Made some pretty long texts, among it an actual resumee and a buggy driver killed the USB stick beyond repair. As the texts were work in progress I hadn't backed them up then and I lost about several dozens working hours. And I hate to come up with a text and lose it to write it again since the first version is almost the best. Writing it again lacks intuition... and I'm easily frustrated now as too much things go awry the whole time in rediculous ways.

I should let them doctors do a scan of my skull... It cannot be that the whole world is so f*cked up as I see it now...
All is lost.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

To keep on topic: I'm not depressed.

A few years back after much reflection and thinking, I came to the conclusion that External USB Hard Drives are cheapest backup method. CD-R/W & DVD-R/W are ok for some things but get expensive once the GB's increase. Tape out of the question too much maintenance, and too expensive.

I must have at least 6 or 7 Portable Drive.

Chris: I have FTC - Humphrey (no heavy bass mix) is that the track you are looking for??
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Vosla wrote:
I should let them doctors do a scan of my skull... It cannot be that the whole world is so f*cked up as I see it now...
Don't bank on it...

Since I was very young I have witnessed levels of cruelty to humans and animals, which I personally find astounding. I sometimes feel like I've been dropped on this planet from outer space, with no idea of these alien lifeforms motivations for doing the strange and wicked things they do...

I have no idea what makes humankind 'tick'... I'm so glad I'm not one of them... ;)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Analog-X wrote:Chris: I have FTC - Humphrey (no heavy bass mix) is that the track you are looking for??
Nah, mine was a special one done by me from his source file: the one you have is the standard RKO one.

Chris
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Chris Abbott wrote: Nah, mine was a special one done by me from his source file: the one you have is the standard RKO one.

Chris
Was you're version ever available here? Publicly?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Once on a temporary URL (during a discussion about FTC himself, I think).