Progression, not Regression

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Do you agree with Warren?

I want to see more games remixed
20%
I want to see more demo tunes remixed
26%
I just want more remixes of rarely remixed stuff
40%
I just want to keep hearing the classics: I never get bored
3%
None of those choices suit me. This sucks.
11%

Total votes: 35

Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

(tho I'm sure there was an incorrect chord in there Sorry!)
It's my usual fun game, Feekzoid's the 1st who discovered it: 8)

Find the wrong chord, win...

Experience! :mrgreen:
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Oops, I did it again!

Post by Larsec »

OK, what exactly is going on here...? I started getting into C64 remixing almost a year ago... In that time I have finished and released 4 tunes in total (2 of which were within the last 2 months)... Then some guy writes an article and I start 3 remixes and finish 2 of them... within 5 days...

Must be because my girlfriend is away at the moment...

The new mix is from the VARIOUS folder as well and uploaded to the RKO queue...
<--- I went that way --->
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

Dr.Future wrote:
(tho I'm sure there was an incorrect chord in there Sorry!)
It's my usual fun game, Feekzoid's the 1st who discovered it: 8)

Find the wrong chord, win...

Experience! :mrgreen:
Bloody excellent cover regardless I might add tho :)
I just have to grit my teeth at the major<>minor swapping ! :P
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

Bloody excellent cover regardless I might add tho
Thanks Feekzoid :D
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

OK, the 2 mixes are out on RKO... Enjoy :)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Larsec goes Markus Schneider... ;)
Yay! Like those two, Larsec ! :D
All is lost.
Immacolata

Post by Immacolata »

I'm in it for the music. I pick my tunes by author, and more often than not I tend to avoid the tunes I've seen remixed into oblivion, unless they are made by a debutante.

So as remixer, when you pick a song that has been remixed umpteen times already, all you risk from me, is that I simply ignore it. So if you want your stuff to be heard, pick your songs with care. I'm sure that you don't give a rats *** about that anyway, and If you do it for the love of the remix and the song itself, go ahead by all means. In the end, this is how great remixers come to life isn't it? By doing it. Don't mind what it's done on, but I DO value ingeniuity.

It is the same in Overclocked Remix site. Sometimes you get all tired seeing YET another Chrono Trigger or Mega Man or Final Fantasy remix... then you remember, it's not costing you a heuckuvalot is it?

Right now I see some great talents that dare take the paths that no one else dares. 2klang does it by picking some obscure tunes, but making a great job on the remix so I am forced to pick out the old SID again. Maindrian is another. Still at least a few worthy songs coming each month, and that is great. in the end, I don't really care what songs people remix, I go for talent and KWED is abundant with it I think.
8)
Imma
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Vosla wrote:Larsec goes Markus Schneider... ;)
LOL, I wish :D

Vosla wrote:Yay! Like those two, Larsec ! :D
Thanks Vosla :)
Immacolata

Post by Immacolata »

Oh yea, and Larsec. Forgot you. Nice remixes you put up the last two. Before I read this thread I was going crazy to figure out what game they were of now :)
Imma
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Immacolata wrote:Oh yea, and Larsec. Forgot you. Nice remixes you put up the last two. Before I read this thread I was going crazy to figure out what game they were of now :)
Thank you Immacolata... :)

More unknown (and known) tunes in the works... :)

There are some pretty brilliant tunes in the Various folder :D
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Thank you Immacolata for your great words... no fear of the unkown... :wink:

Cheers 2Klang
Vip

Post by Vip »

Yes, there are. And to help out a little, I'd like to give everyone a small excerpt of those VARIOUS tunes which are on my playlist all the time. I know, my taste is probably not your taste, but do check them out (at your own leisure - listening to them all takes about 30-45 minutes at the very most), if only to get a small sampling of what has been done in the demoscene (and if you like Danko, or Metal, or Drax, you'll like quite a few entries of the list =).

I'll jot down just one tune per composer(s), otherwise this list would become way too big. However, if you were to find a composer whose music you fancy, don't hesitate to check out the rest of their work as well! There are some real talents out there.

And of course, this is just a TINY excerpt. For more, much more choice, go to the website as mentioned in Waz's article. For optimum hearing pleasure on PC, use Sidplay 2, but you already knew that so I don't know why I'm mentioning it here.

'ere we go (omitting ...path...\C64Music\VARIOUS\ of course) then:

\A-F\AMJ\Needledrop.sid (slow, developing tune. delightfully different)
\A-F\Astovel\Analog.sid (trancey style, could be a cybertech bosstune)
\A-F\Blues_Muz\Waterproof.sid (lovely, lovely coop tune)
\A-F\Blues_Muz\Gallefoss_Glenn\Hickup.sid (k, I had to choose _something_ :). Do check out Sidastic.sid too)
\A-F\Ed\I_Miss_You.sid (Ed's coop with Djinn is something quite special)
\G-L\Jeff\Hard_Track.sid (this is Jeff's current favorite. can't really disagree. rock'ard)
\G-L\Tim_Kleinert\Toyballs.sid (still a cool gametune - slight ethnic influences near the end)
\M-R\Mindflow\Wooloop.sid (Skiz at his best. Very simple, very short, very hard to resist)
\M-R\Mitch_and_Dane\Liptonman.sid (My favorite, although they've got SO MUCH to choose from)
\M-R\MSK\Land_of_Illusion.sid (a classic by Morten Sigurd Kristensen)
\M-R\Noise\Space_Trip.sid (as the name says - spacey)
\M-R\Orcan\Tschernobyls_Tears.sid (the composer is underrated imo)
\M-R\Praiser\Movie_World_part_3.sid (this guy makes some real nice trance/effects thingies)
\M-R\PRI\Azzdjazz.sid (no list without PRI. Azzdjazz is so typically him)
\M-R\PVCF\KJU_intro.sid (PVCF was quite the rave in the day, hence the mention here)
\S-Z\Sage\Afterlife.sid (Sage has a very distinct, recognizable style. hear one, hear all)
\S-Z\Schutten_Martijn\Legend_Intro.sid (Martijn made some impressive stuff. This is one of those)
\S-Z\Scortia\Equinox.sid (Scortia made NOTHING BUT impressive stuff. a MUST!)
\S-Z\Shogoon\Altered_States_Tune_1.sid (Shogoon has some catchy tunes in there)
\S-Z\TBB\O_N_O.sid (the king of c64 trance loops. Panimo, Total_Epygt, Dancesque...)
\S-Z\The_Syndrom\Vision_of_You.sid (fantastic tune, part of a library of more amazing tunes)
\S-Z\Wacek\Snake_Disco.sid (His other tunes are eVIl mostly. and catchy, too!)
\S-Z\Wizard\Inner_Logic.sid (I can't get this tune out my head! brilliance by Piotr Kuciapski)
\S-Z\Zardax\Retroactive.sid (long, nice, so typically Zardax)

Phew =p. Hope you'll have something out of this - I'm off to bed now.

Later,
Vincent
aka Vip/Role/Wow/Padua/64ever/ViruZ

PS: Might I recommend the following overseen ones from the main directory as well?

\C64Music\Danko_Tomas\Elementary.sid (Also a lot of great stuff in there, Planetary, Diffractions ...)
\C64Music\JCH\Shes_Just_a_Maniac.sid (Chimerang, Su-Sweet, ... yeah)
\C64Music\Drax\Why_Me.sid (underrepresented, I'd say. Y_U, Weirdow, Advanced, Pulse, Priapos, ...)
\C64Music\Metal\Trip_2_Jupiter.sid (underrepped, too. Tournesol, Morpheus, Geologic, 5 Mugs of Coffee, Trip 2 x...)
La vie, c'est la guerre des dualités
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Vip wrote:Yes, there are. And to help out a little, I'd like to give everyone a small excerpt of those VARIOUS tunes which are on my playlist all the time.
Nice selection indeed, I have to say. I'd be quite happy to hear any of those remixed.
Vip wrote:For optimum hearing pleasure on PC, use Sidplay 2, but you already knew that so I don't know why I'm mentioning it here.
Don't forget also that you can use the PSID64 utility to make a runnable C64 .prg from the .sid file, which you can transfer to a C64 disk using Star Commander and then load and listen on the real thing. Even better! :)

In the meantime, go and download Larsec's remixes. They are excellent.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

wazzaw wrote:In the meantime, go and download Larsec's remixes. They are excellent.
Thanx Waz, means a lot :)
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

What I do is download any mix, listen to it and then say what I think. If its a tune thats been covered a million times but is a good cover Ill give it a good vote. I dont care who I know on RKO, if I think one of Lars tunes are shite, Ill just tell him, if its good ill tell him...same goes for everyone, I dont look for the name, I listen to the tune.... (Lars, sorry if I used u as an example.)

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)