Annual rant by your friend dhs...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Condor
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Condor »

[quote=ommoroca]I'm just wondering if all those extremely positive votes (including mine) are influenced by this discussion or if that would have happened anyway.[/quote]
Just wanted to say same thing, but for all arrangers. Seems that this thread improved voting, or at least people who don't have high quality remix now have suggestions on how to improve it.
I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

omoroca wrote:BTW, we have a new #1 in the all-time C64Remix charts:
Pro Bmx Simulator by Infamous
http://www.remix64.com/chart.php?platfo ... =0&order=5

I'm just wondering if all those extremely positive votes (including mine) are influenced by this discussion or if that would have happened anyway.

But the tune really is undoubtedly something very, very special, no question. Great work Mr. Infamous! Congratulations!!!
I actually judged this before this thread. So, no I at least personally it had no effect and neither would this thread have effect in my ratings.

Infy knows as a friend that I have often criticised his work and he's taken the criticism very well and this time i could give no other than a RED because I thought this mix was everything that infamous could be was to be.

Sometimes criticism can have a good effect.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Occasionally, I drop a comment here and there but refrain from doing so in general because I don't have a clue when it comes to music. I even stopped voting. I don't think voting is a bad thing but I can't back up my votings with good arguments, just with my guts.
All is lost.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Vosla wrote:Occasionally, I drop a comment here and there but refrain from doing so in general because I don't have a clue when it comes to music. I even stopped voting. I don't think voting is a bad thing but I can't back up my votings with good arguments, just with my guts.
In the end, gut-feeling is what music is about. So it should be sufficient, really - maybe not to write a review, but for a shout for sure.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:
Vosla wrote:Occasionally, I drop a comment here and there but refrain from doing so in general because I don't have a clue when it comes to music. I even stopped voting. I don't think voting is a bad thing but I can't back up my votings with good arguments, just with my guts.
In the end, gut-feeling is what music is about. So it should be sufficient, really - maybe not to write a review, but for a shout for sure.
Totally, completely and utterly agreed! You don't have to write or produce music to be a music lover.

@ Vosla - be glad that you can listen to music just for music's sake (with your gut)! Ask any songwriter, remixer or producer etc, and I'm sure that they will tell you that it is impossible for them to listen to any music without analysing it and mentally taking it to pieces. This quickly becomes a bore! Making music has ruined my enjoyment of other peoples music for many years now.

I envy you!
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

That's exactly how i feel, i leave a few comments but normally there are already shouts that explain things far better than i could so i just leave a vote.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Tonka wrote:
LMan / Remix64 wrote:
Totally, completely and utterly agreed! You don't have to write or produce music to be a music lover.

@ Vosla - be glad that you can listen to music just for music's sake (with your gut)! Ask any songwriter, remixer or producer etc, and I'm sure that they will tell you that it is impossible for them to listen to any music without analysing it and mentally taking it to pieces. This quickly becomes a bore! Making music has ruined my enjoyment of other peoples music for many years now.

I envy you!
Even myself who has not totally got involved with making music found that the more i got involved the less i actually enjoyed listening to it. The great thing now is that you can lose that annalyitical nature by leaving it totally.

Slowly, very slowly i've got back into listening to music without the feel you need to chop it apart and just enjoy it for what it is.

I've not enjoyed music as much as i do now for many years and i blame that for getting too much involved with it - I would never go back to anything music related cos it'd kill it for me AGAIN!

Going back to the thought of the thread thats why i feel i think a listener is much more aware of music than a music creator. When something sounds right, feels right it is right - Flaws don't even come into it.

Knowledge maybe all powerful but nievity is somewhat more enjoyable. Has anyone ever realised something in general is somewhat more enjoyable when they are not an expert?
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

I still see bits here and there in tunes that I would like to discuss but it seems I lost the ability to do so. Reading my comments on tunes, I'm convinced that I can't express myself properly and that's not just a case of language... it doesn't work in english and it doesn't work in german anymore.

I got the strange feeling the ability to communicate with other people simply fades away... I can't express myself anymore. Alzheimer?
All is lost.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

In the mod days, I used to listen to songs until I had fully digested them, and then didn't listen much to them anymore. Repeat was used a lot. I suppose it's somewhat the same thing, when you listen to a piece many times, you get deeper into it, until it has nothing more to offer and you go on. I sort of still have it that way, but not as much any more...
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Vosla wrote:I still see bits here and there in tunes that I would like to discuss but it seems I lost the ability to do so. Reading my comments on tunes, I'm convinced that I can't express myself properly and that's not just a case of language... it doesn't work in english and it doesn't work in german anymore.

I got the strange feeling the ability to communicate with other people simply fades away... I can't express myself anymore. Alzheimer?
Don't worry Vosla - I think thats quite normal - I often find in situations that i too can't elabortate as well as i would like. Sometimes i say something and think..."NO! thats not really what i mean! DAMMIT!"

I think it takes a very special person who can say something the right way and even more of a special person to realise it.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

tas wrote:
Knowledge maybe all powerful but nievity is somewhat more enjoyable. Has anyone ever realised something in general is somewhat more enjoyable when they are not an expert?
Yep. The classic example is a magic trick. It's amazing until you know how it's done, then it's suddenly not as interesting and you just end up letching over Debbie Daniels instead...

Now you must excuse me for a minute whilst I edit this in photoshop... :oops:
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

tas wrote: Even myself who has not totally got involved with making music found that the more i got involved the less i actually enjoyed listening to it. The great thing now is that you can lose that annalyitical nature by leaving it totally.
I never had this thing. I really enjoy listening to music as always.
As long as the piece of music is "good" enough (means emotionally appealing) I can always change between enjoying or analyzing. And I don't have the need to listen to more sophisticated or complicated music today just because of the theoretical knowledge I earned over the ears.
But it's right, nowadays it's much more difficult to get those goosebumps than in the past, but that's not due to music making but to too much music listening over the years. Today it's very difficult to find something I didn't hear before in this or that context.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

agree totally with that above me.

(except the debbie mcgee bit ^^.. she's getting on a bit now that woman, and she infuriates me so much!!! gahh) anyway..

though lately ive been able to come back into music with a less critical ear which is nice, and its getting less and less of a trauma to write stuff too, had really put myself off last year with everything that was going on musically.

now im enjoying myself a bit more, hopefully that trend will continue.
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

omg... guys...

I'm not pissed about the comments about the druid II remix...
The personal taste is a part of every voting and a part of every opinion.

When i goto the musicshop and listen to a Drown Inc. CD i will not buy it because its not my taste of music... But i can say its produced well and has a professional touch.

Ok i agree with some statements of DHS... (This is not trance) is'nt a statment when i not wrote "Trance Mix" ;) This Song is just a Hardtrance or Handsup Techno Mix... :)

But how i said.. I'm not pissed about the personal taste of all that votings there and don't forget, that i have 79% Score with 38 Votings. That's not bad i think.

i like it, to see a voting WITH a comment. What i NOT like is votings WITHOUT any comment... ;) They won't help me... and should be canceled from this votingsystem... only a vote with a comment is usefull for the musicans here.

Finaly we do all our remixes HERE for fun... This is not the real musicbusiness... And believe me... In the real musicbusinesscharts it is much harder and faked. :)

(sry for my bad english)... hope you have a nice week!

cheers,
daXX :wink:
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Actually the thing about anonymous voting, i kinda agree with that.. it only takes a few seconds to write something in that little box, even if its just "didnt like it" or something similiar.

Of course its impossible now as the voting system isnt that old, and there are remixes with no comments at all that would suddenly fall off the chart (circa 2001) for no real reason.. so as good as the idea is on paper, it'd be a absolute nightmare for those involved heh.

Still I think after daxx's comments there about his own work we can all wrap this up now and go have a nice cup of tea/coffee or a full on fika.