Copyright, Piracy, Morale... whatever...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Chris Abbott wrote:*shrug*

As you get older, you do see things differently. LMan said as much: we were kids. You're a kid up until you're about 32 ;-)

Chris
That gives me 11,145,600 seconds of uncontrolled childishness! Arghjhjhh!

No wait, I'm already 32. ARGHHHHHH. :shock:
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Ah, a FOSS priest. Welcome aboard Jinx. (just messin with ya :wink: )

I get your points Razmo, and don't think you were actually targeting anyone in particular, nor the entire forum, but just spawning a debate, which is actually good.

PS I like your new avatar.

I think it's just perfect to have thix mix of free and commercial music. It's a bit of a shame that the scene isn't larger. I'd surely wish Chris some more customers, so I didn't have to feel so guilty.

Reminds me to re-rip the CDs I bought from Chris (watch me, I did good things :wink: ), too long ago (but it's been a while :oops: ), which reminds me I need to buy more, when I get the new job (but I'm conscious about it :D ).

Now go listen to some great Commodore music! :) (Or the stuff in the "...listening to now..." thread.)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Xo: ... exactly... I was not targeting anyone in particular... but I guess I hit a nerve when I said that I find it to be double moral, that Whittaker can complain of Kernkraft's use of his SID tune, when he himself has covered copyrighted material back then... and as Chris is the one responsible for doing the job, he probably felt "hit at" by me... this is not the case though... Chris is just doing a job he HAS to since he has contracted to serve the C64 composers interrests...

But there is NO doubt about it... it is WRONG when you take other peoples work without crediting them, and if money is involved, share, or at least ask permission to make money on it...

It's just that so many aspects of copyright and piracy got entangled in this thread, that I may have mixed it all up, and made myself pretty unclear.

But I'm wiser now... I've got evidence enough, that there is more underneath the "pretty face" of many a music forum... there is one face that is public, and one that is "behind closed doors".... just look at how many has read this topic, and how few has actually said anything. Guess I knocked too hard on the door...

And now please, let's rest this case... I don't want to start all over again.

P.S. Thanks for the avatar compliment... it's a picture a did myself back in the days :)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Razmo, let's just say that there are things that we may not be proud of having done, but I don't remember, even as a child, having relied exclusively on piracy. As a child I got some tapes and such, but still bought a lot of tapes in the supermarket. I loved those 50 DKK game hit tapes. I will admit that because I'm a heavy consumer, I don't that often buy new music, I tend to buy used albums to get the most bang for the buck (and there isn't always many to take from.)

Now Razmo, now you made a remark that will be seen as a provocation. You can see that some people have admitted now buying everything they get. Don't trample anymore on that point.

Calm down people, we're here to talk to like minded friendly people. Share the love. :D
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with having a nice public face for the scene, and de-emphasising the dark side of the people in it: everyone has a dark side, but when all's said and done, people visit here for fun.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chris: True :) ... and I admit sticking my nose in too deep, and I've seen the wrongs of my topic... that's why I appologised to you, even though I had no intent to, or even think that you were double moralled...

Still hope you accept my appologies.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

razmo wrote:Chris: True :) ... and I admit sticking my nose in too deep, and I've seen the wrongs of my topic... that's why I appologised to you, even though I had no intent to, or even think that you were double moralled...

Still hope you accept my appologies.
It's not a problem. I'll still release your CD ;-)

I have a horrible feeling I've missed or lost an email from DaFunk about something similar... /me worries... anyone else??

Chris
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Chris Abbott wrote:
It's not a problem. I'll still release your CD ;-)

Chris
Ha ha ahaha Chris! What a diabolically scheming person you are. :lol: :wink:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chris: I'm glad wepons are down :D ... now I got a little surprised that you mention my CD because, I never recieved a reply from you on that Email I sent you :shock: ... did you reply to it?
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

razmo wrote:Chris: I'm glad wepons are down :D ... now I got a little surprised that you mention my CD because, I never recieved a reply from you on that Email I sent you :shock: ... did you reply to it?
Ah, so it was your email I was missing! I suspected I'd forgotten to reply to one, and it was yours! Quelle coincidence!!

Um, could you send it again?

Chris
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chris: Sure! ... I'll see if it's still there... otherwise I'll just send a new one later today :wink:
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

You know the ironic footnote to this thread?

I signed up for Google Adwords and they rejected my advert because they "had received a complaint from a third party" that C64Audio.com either violated copyright or encouraged others to do so. That after having gone to the bother of buying a licence so I can legitimately sell cover songs (so that "Ivory Tower" on BIT 2 can be bought on its own, for instance).

If I ever catch that anonymous, cowardly third party (if there even is one, and it isn't Google being negligent)... :evil:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

OK!... that's really bad karma! :evil: ... could this be mr. T hitting back at you maybe? ... well... that would be pure speculation... you'll probably never know :?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Just a sidenote chris: I noticed on Remix64, in the bottom of the screen where there is adds C64 related, that one banner had big words spelling "Warez" on one of them the other day... I wondered a bit about it, but did not click the add to see what is was... could this be related?