Progression, not Regression

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Do you agree with Warren?

I want to see more games remixed
20%
I want to see more demo tunes remixed
26%
I just want more remixes of rarely remixed stuff
40%
I just want to keep hearing the classics: I never get bored
3%
None of those choices suit me. This sucks.
11%

Total votes: 35

Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

dan gillgrass wrote:(Lars, sorry if I used u as an example.)
No worries mate... It's very nice that you are honest... Fortunatly you like most of what I do ;)
<--- I went that way --->
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

It's actually kinda weird... All the known tunes I am working on are being pushed aside by tunes from the VARIOUS folder... Well, except for a few choice ones :D
<--- I went that way --->
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Excellent debate, although for me it _is_ mostly about the nostalgia. The thing is, my nostalgia mostly relates to the demo scene, hence why I'd love to see more of those tunes done. (I nearly flipped, if you'll pardon the pun, when Reyn did Flip the Floppy).

With tunes I've heard before, I sometimes am a little lenient - perhaps giving them the benefit of the doubt, but with those I've not heard, they must be really good to grab and keep my attention. Examples include TDG's Judge Dredd and, Wobbler's Overlame Makke's Hammerfist (Ode to my C64).

Overall, though, I broadly agree with Waz. Mind you, there are a _lot_ of "classic" (or at least well known) tunes that have been ignored. For instance, I'd love to hear Retrograde #3 remixed.
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

CraigG wrote:Overall, though, I broadly agree with Waz. Mind you, there are a _lot_ of "classic" (or at least well known) tunes that have been ignored. For instance, I'd love to hear Retrograde #3 remixed.
As soon as I came onto the scene I had said there were a wealth of untapped demo tunes which are excellent!!!!!! I think I just get ignored because I havent released anything yet! well, Im sorry, I just wanna make sure my mix is better than anything Honarabilli churned out ;)

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Vip wrote:However, if you were to find a composer whose music you fancy, don't hesitate to check out the rest of their work as well! There are some real talents out there.
This is exactly what I did with Glenn Gallefoss' music and found this little beauty which is one of my favourites by William Orbit.

\C64Music\VARIOUS\A-F\Blues_Muz\Gallefoss_Glenn\Barbers_Adagio_64_PSID.sid

Paul
Hacky
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Hacky »

Paul Chapman wrote:\C64Music\VARIOUS\A-F\Blues_Muz\Gallefoss_Glenn\Barbers_Adagio_64_PSID.sid
?
Gimme link!
Drool.
Hacking is like sex; you get in, you get out, and hope that you didn't leave something that can be traced back to you.
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Sorry Hacky. Assumed you would already have SidPlay2. :)

Once you do get it, if you open the VARIOUS folder of the HVSC and follow the info I posted, you should find it no problem.

Paul
Hacky
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Hacky »

Ah it's ok, I found it online now.
It's cool!

Paul, can u check out my post err, here
viewtopic.php?p=7256#7256

No one seems to be reading/answering it, and it's driving me nuts, I need that file! There's actually two sid-remixes that I think are two of the most amazing pieces of music ever, one is that Delta one and another is a Bubble Bobble one, neither of which seem to be in any remix archives. PAIN! I hate HD's!

btw, you're right about demo tunes and stuff. Some of the most amazing tunes ever, demo and otherwise, have never really been re-mixed. Dunno why. Demo wise I could list many, but game music wise, things like Delta 2; Armalyte. It's one of THE most amazing tunes ever! Yet I think I've seen like one re-mix. I think it might be because it's very hard to do, it's such a complex tune. I'm working on a ver of it myself, and it ain't easy to get it how I want, so I'm guessing others had the same prob and maybe gave up.

Another amazing one is the high score music in Zelda on the SNES and N64. You ever heard that one?
Hacking is like sex; you get in, you get out, and hope that you didn't leave something that can be traced back to you.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> Yet I think I've seen like one re-mix.
There are now three of this particular tune, but they're all derivations of the Armalyte version on Back in Time 3.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Oh Hacky, have you checked remix.overclocked.org?

Chris
Hacky
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Hacky »

Chris Abbott wrote:> Yet I think I've seen like one re-mix.
There are now three of this particular tune, but they're all derivations of the Armalyte version on Back in Time 3.
COOL! I NEED! Where can I get? Are they on any CDs or sites do you know?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Er... the main one is on the "Back in Time 3" CD. There's an earlier version on RKO, and two versions on the Back in Time 3 Companion.

BIT 3 may return as a downloadable product soon (not by track, but as a downloadable product through Lynnemusic), so you'll be able to hear it then in context.

Unless you mean the Armalyte loading tune, in which case no one has
done that yet.

Chris
Hacky
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Hacky »

Chris Abbott wrote:Er... the main one is on the "Back in Time 3" CD. There's an earlier version on RKO, and two versions on the Back in Time 3 Companion.
Have that one, and I think I have that Companion CD thingy too, but what is RKO?
Unless you mean the Armalyte loading tune, in which case no one has done that yet.
I think I mean both, not 100% sure without a refresh of seeing the game again, but, that main one I'm thinking of I think it might be the loading one, it has that kind of err, cascading wobbly arpegio thingy going, running round and round. Is that one the loading one?
Hacky
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Hacky »

Chris Abbott wrote:Er... the main one is on the "Back in Time 3" CD. There's an earlier version on RKO, and two versions on the Back in Time 3 Companion.
Have that one, and I think I have that Companion CD thingy too, but what is RKO?
Unless you mean the Armalyte loading tune, in which case no one has done that yet.
I think I mean both, not 100% sure without a refresh of seeing the game again, but, that main one I'm thinking of I think it might be the loading one, it has that kind of err, cascading wobbly arpegio thingy going, running round and round. Is that one the loading one?
Vip

Post by Vip »

Paul Chapman wrote: This is exactly what I did with Glenn Gallefoss' music and found this little beauty which is one of my favourites by William Orbit.

\C64Music\VARIOUS\A-F\Blues_Muz\Gallefoss_Glenn\Barbers_Adagio_64_PSID.sid

Paul
While I agree that it's a beautiful cover, I wouldn't want to see a kwed.remix of it, since that would probably turn out to be more a William Orbit remix than a GRG one.

If you're into GRG's sample enhanced tunes though, here's an original piece I warmheartedly recommend: Electronic_Transfer.sid (it won X2001, a great buildup trance piece).

Cheers,
Vincent
aka Vip/Role/Wow/Padua/64ever/ViruZ
La vie, c'est la guerre des dualités