Amiga: Pinball Dreams, Fantasies & Illusions

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.

Which is your favourite?

Pinball Dreams
4%
Pinball Fantasies
65%
Pinball Illusions
30%

Total votes: 23

Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Amiga: Pinball Dreams, Fantasies & Illusions

Post by Chappers »

I'd love to see more remixes of these great tunes.

Had a look on AMIGAremix just now and there's only 1 there at the moment which is Pinball Dreams by DeAdLy cOoKiE. It's a good remix but on its own at the moment.

Olof Gustafsson's tunes were amazing. It would be interesting to see what improvements could be made on the originals or a different interpretations of the originals.

Paul
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Re: Amiga: Pinball Dreams, Fantasies & Illusions

Post by Waz »

Paul Chapman wrote:I'd love to see more remixes of these great tunes.
Not the only one, being a big fan of all three games myself.

Incidentally, the PC versions of Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies use exactly the same .MOD music file as the migmog version. There' s a MOD file for each table, and it actually contains all the sound effects as well as the music (that's why in effect the music pauses so it can call a sequence of the MOD for the sfx!)

With the PC version of Pinball Illusions, they also added CD audio tracks to introduce the tables, the excellent title screen tunes etc. However the ingame music (such as the Law and Justice table Dan and I used to play for ages on his migmog 1200 - the AGA version too) is the same, I think.

Always loved the Nightmare table on Pinball Fantasies myself... Although of course nothing matches playing on a real pinball table like Star Trek: The Next Generation or Theatre of Magic...
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

wazzaw wrote:
Paul Chapman wrote:I'd love to see more remixes of these great tunes.
Not the only one, being a big fan of all three games myself.

Incidentally, the PC versions of Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies use exactly the same .MOD music file as the migmog version. There' s a MOD file for each table, and it actually contains all the sound effects as well as the music (that's why in effect the music pauses so it can call a sequence of the MOD for the sfx!)

With the PC version of Pinball Illusions, they also added CD audio tracks to introduce the tables, the excellent title screen tunes etc. However the ingame music (such as the Law and Justice table Dan and I used to play for ages on his migmog 1200 - the AGA version too) is the same, I think.

Always loved the Nightmare table on Pinball Fantasies myself... Although of course nothing matches playing on a real pinball table like Star Trek: The Next Generation or Theatre of Magic...
Sorry to be a bit nitpicky here Waz but Stones 'n' Bones was the one in Fantasies while Nightmare made an appearance in Dreams. Both tables were my favourites to play on for sure and had my favourite tunes in each game.

Downloaded the original MODs for all three games a while ago. Each table's tunes were in a megamix and the other game tunes were included separately. The megamix idea was a superb touch.

Paul
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Paul Chapman wrote: Sorry to be a bit nitpicky here Waz but Stones 'n' Bones was the one in Fantasies
Of course it was! Me idiot.

Just had to fire it up on the PC and play that classic table. Not lost the old touch just yet on it anyway. Think that one was my fave of Fantasies because of the music. and how that along with the various targets you could hit etc.

The MOD in PF's intro tune is called "Steel Chambers 2", apparently. If that helps anyone to do a superb remix of it, then feel free. I'd love to hear that.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

The reason being no real remix there so far is probably you need a MOD-to-ear-to-MIDI-remixer for the task, since the MOD-files are of no help to remix these tunes. The samples are done at different samples rates, and the note C-4 for sample A is D#4 for sample B and so on. Pretty much a horror.
I have gone through this with Stardust Memories and Project X, and
it is even more difficult work with the Pinball-series.
putzi
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

putzi wrote:The reason being no real remix there so far is probably you need a MOD-to-ear-to-MIDI-remixer for the task, since the MOD-files are of no help to remix these tunes. The samples are done at different samples rates, and the note C-4 for sample A is D#4 for sample B and so on. Pretty much a horror.
I have gone through this with Stardust Memories and Project X, and
it is even more difficult work with the Pinball-series.
Ah, that would explain the lack of remixes then. :)

Still, it was nice to have a nostalgic moment and remember those great original tunes again.

Paul
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

Paul, maybe we can talk Ifadeo or Sonic into making a remix of the pinball-series, they got what it takes for it :-)
putzi
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

putzi wrote:Paul, maybe we can talk Ifadeo or Sonic into making a remix of the pinball-series, they got what it takes for it :-)
I agree. Both are excellent remixers and are certainly capable of creating something pretty special anyway.

How about it, Ifadeo & Sonic ? This one certainly falls into the category of 'progression not regression' and the originals are well remembered.

As putzi rightfully pointed out, they wouldn't be easy remixes to do so could prove a meaty challenge for either of you (or indeed anyone else willing to create them).

Paul
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Paul Chapman wrote:
putzi wrote:Paul, maybe we can talk Ifadeo or Sonic into making a remix of the pinball-series, they got what it takes for it :-)
I agree. Both are excellent remixers and are certainly capable of creating something pretty special anyway.
thanks, this is my mission... :wink:
Paul Chapman wrote:How about it, Ifadeo & Sonic ? This one certainly falls into the category of 'progression not regression' and the originals are well remembered.
well, the most of my remixes are covers of 'forgotten' sidtunes...
i loved both pinball games, stones'n'bones & nightmare are my favorties... :D

if i do a cover of the pinball series, then i take a tune from them.

cheers ifadeo
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

I feel up to the task, sure. =)

I'll do any of those Ifadeo won't (that is any one but Stones'n'Bones & Nightmare). Have some other stuff going on though, so don't count on it being up in a near future. =)

Cheers!
-------------------------------------------------------
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
-------------------------------------------------------
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Sonic Wanderer wrote:I feel up to the task, sure. =)

I'll do any of those ifadeo won't (that is any one but Stones'n'Bones & Nightmare). Have some other stuff going on though, so don't count on it being up in a near future. =)

Cheers!
we've got a deal... :wink: ...but first i must finshed some other tunes...

cheers ifadeo
Juhgu

Post by Juhgu »

Here you go, found this thread by accident :)

http://koshiyoka.biz/juhgu/temp_/Olof_G ... remix).mp3

A "modernised" version of the classic, however with only the original 8bit 8287hz samples.

(copy-paste the link and it should work)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Wow now thats an old Thread to resurrect :)

But thanks for the track I went to the main site and downloaded a couple of tracks that stood out because of the name category. Demo Scene and C64.

Demo Scene: Quazar_-_Funky_stars_(Byproduct_remix).mp3
C64 - Juhgu-defilusmix.mp3

You can select the track and click on the download button from this url.

http://byproduct.koshiyoka.com/

Good material worth checking out....try the Two above mentioned tracks.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Juhgu

Post by Juhgu »

Analog-X wrote:Wow now thats an old Thread to resurrect :)
Heh, yeah. I was looking around for a pinball fantasies remix so that I wouldn't do something that's already done, and this was the only thing I found. Apparently people aren't too keen on remixing the tune. Maybe because it's such detailed and balanced piece of music - if one starts from scratch it's a huge load of work and definitely not an easy thing to do, and if one tries to add to it, it's easily ruined. At least that's what I thought, and therefore ended up doing what's mostly just a "techology upgrade" to it. :)

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the stuff on my site. I'd like to point out that (while everything else there is mine) Defilusmix is a compilation of chiptunes by Defilus - I only mixed the tracks together and added some tweaks with his permission. More of his stuff can be found at http://mikseri.net/defilus
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Pinball Fantasies gets my vote as well. Great music.

There are a lot of underremixed or unremixed classics.

Some of the best Amiga music I've heard is from the HOI demos. But that kind of music is probably difficult to improve. :) But 16 bit 44 kHz lossless versions with improved instruments would be....... :hug: :drool: