Mad World....

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Mad World....

Post by ifadeo »

There's a great cover of Mad World from Tears for Fears out...
Done by Michael Andrews feat. Gary Jules, brilliant cover... :D

btw. I like both versions....

Cheers ifadeo
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Not news for us here in the UK: it was our Christmas number one single :)
It is good, especially as the lyrics seem much more profound sung like that. His album, apparently, is very different to that though...

Chris
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

ahh, i remember, i heard this song a few times ago on the radio, but first
i thought it was r.e.m., now i've got a close listen to this mellow piece of
music.... mad world always reminds if i was much younger, wearing only
black clothes, hanging around with gothic's and new wave freaks back in
the 80s.... :wink:

cheers ifadeo
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I have a cover of it lying around on my harddrive that I did a year or so ago. Never spread it though.
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Indeed it is a very beautiful cover... Very nice....
<--- I went that way --->
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

The version on Alex Park's debut album (she in fact performed it on Fame Academy in the UK) is almost identical to the version by Gary Jules.

I guess she liked it in the film Donny Darko :)
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Yea, great track, desevered to be number the xmas number one, still, I heard his album was pants. Nice to compare the original to the cover tho :)

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

I was happy enough that a quality song like Mad World got to No.1 rather than the shameless money-grabbing attempt that was made by the Flop Idol crowd.

Even the appearance of Kim Gee didn't make me go out & buy the single. I may be a bit biased and daft but I'm not daft enough to waste my money on that Flop Idol tat.

Not a fan of the show at all but our local paper (Grimsby Evening Telegraph) was banging on about her appearance all the time so I couldn't really miss it. Basically if a cat farts, it gets reported so 10 page Kim Gee supplements soon followed..... :D

Paul
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Paul Chapman wrote:I was happy enough that a quality song like Mad World got to No.1 rather than the shameless money-grabbing attempt that was made by the Flop Idol crowd.
Although true, and it is a nice cover, it was mainly over to a lot of exposure given to the track by BBC Radio 2 that it got anywhere. It featured on the Donnie Darko soundtrack ages ago and no one actually listened to it that much then. That said, anything has to be better than Flop Idol's ruining of a John Lennon classic. And now that Sam and Mark are doing a Robson and Jerome and ruining Beatles classics. Bah!

I just wished The Darkness would have been number one instead, primarily for the fact it was an original track and that Mad World was probably a little bit depressing at Christmas. A bit cheesy maybe, but it would have only have added to their 2000s Slade/Queen tag a bit more.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Ok, decided to put this online temporarily so that those who'd be interested in hearing it could download it:

http://www.student.bth.se/~manh01/madworld.mp3

I did that about a year ago on a boring afternoon. So don't take it to seriously. I didn't even bother to fade it at the end. :)
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

wazzaw wrote:
Paul Chapman wrote:I was happy enough that a quality song like Mad World got to No.1 rather than the shameless money-grabbing attempt that was made by the Flop Idol crowd.
Although true, and it is a nice cover, it was mainly over to a lot of exposure given to the track by BBC Radio 2 that it got anywhere. It featured on the Donnie Darko soundtrack ages ago and no one actually listened to it that much then. That said, anything has to be better than Flop Idol's ruining of a John Lennon classic. And now that Sam and Mark are doing a Robson and Jerome and ruining Beatles classics. Bah!

I just wished The Darkness would have been number one instead, primarily for the fact it was an original track and that Mad World was probably a little bit depressing at Christmas. A bit cheesy maybe, but it would have only have added to their 2000s Slade/Queen tag a bit more.
Even though I'm heavily into dance/trance music, I do have a soft spot for The Darkness. Did like I Believe In A Thing Called Love a lot and their Christmas effort was a bit cheesy but I liked that a lot too.

I always have a bee in my bonnet about Christmas songs and how contradictory the general public are with them. My main gripe is that for the other 11 months of the year, the traditional Christmas sings are ignored & generally derided but, come December/Christmas time, they're suddenly great and we should sing them "because it's Christmas".

A perfect example was when my brother stuck on Frank Sinatra mid-December (IIRC it was 'Jingle Bell Rock') and was singing along. When I asked why he was being played (Sinatra isn't on the regular playlist in his house), his reply was "because it's Christmas". He doesn't like Sinatra the rest of the year so why should Christmas be any different? Bah humbug indeed. That one is top of the list for a Room 101 from me anyday. :)

At least The Darkness' effort was worth listening to. Worth playing again even when it isn't Christmas. :)

Paul

P.S. Anyone want this soapbox now I've finished with it?
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Paul Chapman wrote:
P.S. Anyone want this soapbox now I've finished with it?
Actually, I'll probably get a daft amount for that if I ever tried a spoof auction. :)

Paul
Tim Forsyth
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Tim Forsyth »

For me, the mad world cover was one of the more memorable musical moments I can think in movie history. After watching donnie darko a few years ago, it stuck in my head for ages, with the lyrics so very aptly describing the very messed up events of the movie in question. - anyone ever noticed how the second song in the movie so very well goes with the direction of the sweeping cameras introducing the characters.... with "your wasting my time..." going in time with the guys shaking hands with Swazey's character.

Its a beautiful cover version of a song that I didn't give much credit too at the time of its release. It brought a whole new emotional, albiet rather obvious (in retrospect), element to a great song.

The darkness eh? They're great. I'm only gutted about glastonbury last year - I was so hungover after my first evening from being there, that I eventually surfaced to my mates coming back from their Friday morning performance talking about how fantastically great they were - doh! Missed opportunity there me thinks.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

talking 'bout coversongs:

one of my alltime favorite is 'where is my mind (pixies)' covered by
placebo, i also like there 'dark globe(syd barett)' cover....

brilliant stuff !!!

btw. placebo did also some great own songs.... TEENAGE ANGST... :wink:

cheers ifadeo
Last edited by ifadeo on 27/01/2004 - 9:29, edited 1 time in total.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Makke wrote:Ok, decided to put this online temporarily so that those who'd be interested in hearing it could download it:

http://www.student.bth.se/~manh01/madworld.mp3

I did that about a year ago on a boring afternoon. So don't take it to seriously. I didn't even bother to fade it at the end. :)
Hey I like that one very much. Great job! :)