Sound/music applications for Linux

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Yoshi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Sound/music applications for Linux

Post by Yoshi »

Hello.

Does anyone know if there is any good Linux applications for sound-editing and composing?

I guess there will never be an Impulse Tracker 3 so I keep my hopes high for Cheese Tracker. Current version works quite ok so perhaps it will grow into something big in the future. :)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Just be patient, there have to be more dudes with at least one linux system out there. Question is: are they remixing with it?
Anyway, give them a lil bit more time to respond. (I for my part had a terrible hangover this weekend dunno what their excuses are. But doesn't help you much because I just experiment with Linux routers and do not use them as workstations.)
All is lost.
Yoshi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Yoshi »

Well, I didn't think making music on a Linux workstation is very common. I just hoped to get some names of any software available so I could look around and possibly find something useful.

I'll be patient..
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GeckoYamori »

Right now Linux is a poor choice for music production, but it's getting better.
Jan Morgenstern
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Jan Morgenstern »

Yoshi wrote:Well, I didn't think making music on a Linux workstation is very common. I just hoped to get some names of any software available so I could look around and possibly find something useful.
Here goes:

Try soundtracker as a pretty useable FT clone (I actually scored a game with it, and it didn't fail me ;)

As for HD recording, there's a pretty promising multitrack solution called ardour. It's the most advanced linux multitrack program so far.

There's unfortunately no really powerful integrated MIDI-Sequencing/HD-Recording at the moment. Brahms is propably what comes closest to Cubase at the moment, but don't expect too much.

The best linux sample editor is audacity, at least IMHO. I'm using this thing on my studio workstation for post production work, and it's amazing.

As regards software synthesizers, Alsa Modular Synth, ArtS and SpiralModular are modular systems. There are also lots of smaller projects, take a look at http://linux-sound.org. If you're really adventurous, try csound, but don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

As for audio visualization and analyzing... umhh... wait a few weeks, I'm working on it. :)

Hope that helps,
jan