Taste - it's a personal thing.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Taste - it's a personal thing.

Post by tas »

I've just been ploughing through the reviews which remix v2 has had. And one thing that strikes me, is that how different peoples tastes are, and how what ever you do you can't please everyone all the time. I'm just going to go with a few examples with you here....

Superplay in words said.."The rock sections saved the CD from disaster"

Pain Diskmag said.."There's some terrific remixes on there, but the rock
tunes are bad"

The hungarian mag pczone said..."The real instruments on the rock sections are fantastic"

that pattern continues through out the reviews and throughout every tune on the CD.

Some reviews state that volume 1 was better, while other reviews say volume 2 is an improvement.

Taste... It really is a personal thing :)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Full ACK, Tas!
Taste is a really strange thing and there is nothing that could explain it. And it's wonderful, the way it is.

See, I don't like Elvis but I think his music is somehow great. It's a round thing, it's somehow complete in itself but I don't listen to it. Sure, I was told my whole life Elvis was a cool and great musician. At the same time his films were crap and I didn't liked his music. As a kid I completely dismissed Elvis as sh*t. But I was comparing him to other entertainers, musicians and the like and I realized that he had done something like his own space, a small micro-cosmos with selfcontaining laws that could stand for his own.
Like Helge Schneider who I personally don't like either, but the man is a musically genius of improvisation. You don't get it if you heard just "Katzenklo", which is funny to a certain degree (if you understand german). (Whoa, blasphemy! Comparing Elvis and Helge Schneider!! Well, different league, I know.)
So much other stuff from Helge Schneider is IMHO just plain crap, especially his films but looking at the whole pattern makes you think: Wow! How much instruments does this dude master? How does he improvise all that? He does lifeshows and fills a whole evening without planning anything beforehand and it works? Still don't like his arts but it's something that demands respect.

To get back to the Remix V2:
Here you got the work of different guys, based on work of even other guys. Voila, taste has a chance to shoot of in all directions with every piece of music.

You don't like Rob Hubbard? Chance is great you don't like remixes of his work, either. Never had a shot at classic pieces? Well, some of Gly R Browns work will annoy you then, too. You despise e-guitars ? Great Giana Sisters from Machinae Supremacy isn't your kind then. The angle at which you approach a remix is greatly influenced by your personal experience with music. I am not a musician so my point of view isn't so much influenced by musical/technical facts. I do prefer certain peoples kind of music and not everything they did. I do like JM Jarre but he also had his downtimes...

Because nobody was born with a chord key up his *rse.
All is lost.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

It's odd for a product produced reet up North in Donny, but my overriding impression of R64 Volume 2 is that it's... German. :) It just sounds Germanic, rather like Merregnon (which it could almost be a sister album to). It's an odd thing to think, I admit! Shows that different brains take.. er.. different trains... or something.

Oh, I'll just stick to ma toasties (isn't that a Rabbit disease?).

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

hehe, its amazing how the mind works isn't it. One thing i have learnt over the past years doing remix64 CD's and other things is not to get upset when people just don't think like you. And yeah i've been guilty of being upset in the past when people don't seem to think on your wavelength.

Here's a lesson for every musician out there, that people do not think the way you do. Take different views on the chin and remember it doesn't mean your work is bad, it doesn't just feel right to others. I've learnt now that whatever you do there will always be someone who doesn't like it, and someone who does like it.

Talking about Merregnon as chris was... I love that CD, yet can you believe some people don't like it? a typical taste thing.

You listen to the charts these days... For me i hate them entirely, can't stand it, total drivel, boring, no melody, shoddy boy/girl band stuff.... but hey thats just me, the guy/girl next to me may like the chart stuff and heck why not they have a right to like them. does it mean they are wrong, does it mean i am wrong? absolutely not...We are both right because we have our own individual taste.

A review in "Raid" magazine quoted that the two rock tunes on the CD were very bad, but then he went onto say..."No remix should be done with e-guitar". I personally don't agree with that sentiment at all, but his taste of things is obviously different. The quote had me scratching my head at first, then i just smiled and said to myself..."ok, fair enough we will agree to disagree".

I think to myself... "this is a beautiful thing... If everyone liked what the next door neighbour liked, wouldn't it be a boring world?"

incidentally chris, i would agree the album is very odd in the respect that the only two people who worked on the CD from the UK was me and Glyn and that the german influence is there in abundance. I must like german music (if they don't sing;), but shhhhh, don't tell everyone ;)
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Tas wrote:... A review in "Raid" magazine quoted that the two rock tunes on the CD were very bad, but then he went onto say..."No remix should be done with e-guitar".
A reviewer who hates e-guitars in remixes should not review such remixes. Or he should mention something like : "I myself don't like it that way! So I have to take that into account."
All is lost.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Tas wrote: Here's a lesson for every musician out there, that people do not think the way you do. Take different views on the chin and remember it doesn't mean your work is bad, it doesn't just feel right to others.
I asked (and obtained) the removal of a review to my Max Headroom in vgmix. A part the whole review had no meanings at all (the reviewer has musics too in vgmix, that sound a lot like the ones of a friend we missed.....H...), he closed the whole thing saying something like:

"That's the kind of music ppl listen to while assuming drugs at a rave party". [note: he's talking about german electro, not trance, acid or something else]

So, to add to Neil's big picture:
The different tastes things is true.
But there are also complete idiots out there, who the only mission in life is talking out of their ass.

And the famous smiley things on r64 for many of the tracks are there to suport this statement.

Bye.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

DHS wrote: And the famous smiley things on r64 for many of the tracks are there to suport this statement.
Here we go again... :)

- Markus
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Those "dorks" mentioned by DHS are an absolute minority in my experience. DHS, I invite you to have a look at Remix64's back end for a day or so. So you can browse through the votes and ppl's voting behaviour, you might after all finally understand my points.

- Markus :)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

my point and i guess i never made it clearly, is that i'm not complaining about the reviews, but infact taking it on the chin and getting on with life..

deep down i know what r64 v2 is and where the problems do lie and i take reviews about v2 which state words like "there should never be e-guitar in a remix" as something they feel, but that statement doesn't match my own feelings about v2. So when it comes to any further productions i will ignore that statement, because that isn't actually a problem with the CD, but a singular perspective that will not be matched by 99% of the listeners.

The best review so far i have seen is at Music4Games.net. Whilst they didn't give it a sparkling review it did actually point out some of its misgivings, and they pointed it out correctly. It wasn't about taste where they underlined its problems, but in areas where it could have improved on, and to be blatently honest, they echoed my feelings almost word for word.

but my point of this posting was to basically expect the unexpected and the views of others will rarely match your own... If you know deep inside that a tune is good, then it is good and anyone who says different is entitled to have their view and to take that view on the chin if they don't point out problems which you agree with.

To coin a wise mans words...."Ask me about swedish reviewers" ;)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> If Alchoholics drink black Coffee to help get rid of a hagover.
And the wise man spaketh: is a hagover a legover with an ugly chick? :)

Chris
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

People are People... :wink:

cheers ifadeo
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Those "dorks" mentioned by DHS are an absolute minority in my experience. DHS, I invite you to have a look at Remix64's back end for a day or so. So you can browse through the votes and ppl's voting behaviour, you might after all finally understand my points.
- Markus :)
I know Markus. They are a minority. And they are there (like elsewhere).

No Panic, i'm not going on that again.

Cheerz.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

>And the wise man spaketh: is a hagover a legover with an ugly chick?

lets not go there ;) I'm a reformed coffee drinker ;)
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

ifadeo wrote:People are People... :wink:
so why should it be ;-)
putzi
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

putzi wrote: