Half life 2. ???? Bah humbug (Off subject and angry !)

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Half life 2. ???? Bah humbug (Off subject and angry !)

Post by tomsk »

Halflife 2 eh ?

So - it's really, really, really good then is it ?
It's so really, really very good !

After over nearly two hours just getting through the hugely offensive,intrusive and bugged registration process, I was finally ready to play the game of the year...that seems to feature the protection of the year also.
And despite my system bettering the min specs levels in every department, the damn thing will still not play. Loading times are the longest I've ever seen, with no progress bar to indicate how long to go. It's like loading from f**king casette for gods sake.
Oh and when it finally boots up with the select NEW GAME option...it starts loading again !!!!!
Only this time....it decides to crash with no message to help us novices find the problem on Google.

I've had to hard reset my computer more times than I'd care to mention, I've had notification of registry errors and repairs....
I count myself as having an average level of computer knowledge...checking websites for patches, etc. God help any total novices out there who just want to play a damn computer game. :evil:

Best place for HalfLife 2 ???? in the f**king BIN !
This stinks.......The end. :x
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Hmmmmm

I feel much better now .....
Merry Xmas to one and all ! (but not Seirra)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

needless to say sierra are no more ;)

they've gone bankrupt ;)
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

I had no probz at all with Steam and HL2.

After the 1st install it updated the game once in about 20 minutes, then i was playing.

Tas: Sierra = Bankrupcy?
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Im with DHS here, tho its updated twice now, the second time it wouldnt run until I re-booted but havent had any probs since, yea, the some of the loading times are a pain in the ass and the install procedure is ridiculous but, hey, what an awesome game!

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

I bought it yesterday and I've had no problems with it whatsoever :) plus its a damn fine game!!!
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

I am also a fan of HL2 - Steam mad me angry at first but it is actually quite a nice little system and they do have more plans for it.

Loading is a pain I agree and I must admit I wsih I had not played it on Easy first because it only took me a week or so to complete it :(

Anyway, top game!
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Tried to convert my original HL1 to steam and it tells me that my CD-Key is already registered by somebody else.
Thank you, Valve! Nice copy-protection! Now only the thief can play MY HL1! (Laughable: for $10(!) I can get a new key from Valve! So I pay for the thief as well.) :evil:

Swept through HL2 like a breeze and it feels pretty short. To prolong the end, some enemies (striders, living helis - deflecting rockets) are a pain in the ass to take down. But maybe that's the old Quake1 addict talking... Battling the zombies was fun... Crowbar Time! :twisted:

Barney is dumb as rock, so are my other allies. You can't simply park them somewhere as long as you wish, so they don't step on your toes... they will happily run in your sights and block the path when you try to run from grenades. :roll:
Hmm, ultimate simulation of Counter-Strike Newbies... If that was the goal, Valve, I salute you. :|
All is lost.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Im waiting on the XBox version of HL2 and Far Cry.... If the Dreamcast version of HL1 is anything to go by, it should be very special conversion. I simply dont touch games this big on pc.... if ANYTHING goes wrong, the whole thing goes to hell in a handbasket - thus lending more credence to the fact that games are better made for net capable consoles rather than on pc's.

BUY AN XBOX ! :D

Btw, if you want to see a complete abortion of a game which makes this report seem possitively miniscule - have a look at BREED forums at CDV :

http://www.cdv-board.de/english/forumdi ... &forumid=4

Now THATS a sad game, and not the developers fault either, apparently CDV were complete bastards - they got the finished game form BRAT Design, changed all the voiceovers, hi-contrates all the graphics (ruining the displacement maps) and altered the scripting - THEN - adding insult to injury, they slap the latest STARFORCE protection on it.... the very same protection that screws your CD drive into the ground and makes games take AGES to load up (if at all)... Fortunately i have a fix for starforce, but youll need to contact me for it as i cant post the link, it would compromise security and possibly get the forum owners here in big trouble.

Either way, my point is, if you want to play good games with no problems.... buy a console.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

after playing hl2 some hours (10-12) with a friend, i've got sick of it.... :x
i don't know why they need five years for such a game, in my opinion
far cry is much better !!!

...and in the meanwhile i play 'pirates' and that's
a real great game... 8)

cheers ifadeo
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Matrix wrote:BUY AN XBOX !
Not in this life (and neither in the next).
ifadeo wrote: far cry is much better !!!
Agreed 100%.

Chronicles of Riddick was nice too.

But all of them suck big time compared to Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Thanks gang - that really helps .... not ! :)

Since the guys here seem to have had no problems playing it, the problem must lye in my hardware.....anyone recommend a decent graphics card to run this game - for around £60-70. I'm only AGP 4x , so please no 8x only boards.
My processor is AMD 1.8 Ghz
Memory 512 Mb
O/S WIndows ME

Any suggestions appreciated...I'm sure you lot know your techie stuff better than me ;)

Cheers
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

well, some will say an radion 9600 (if thats agp x4 i dunno) some will say a Geforce 3 again dunno if there's an AGP x4 version.

Personally i use an Radion 9800 pro and i'd swear by the card, especially considering the Geforce has a lot of bugs which don't like Direct X much.

So, i'd recommend a Radion
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

tomsk wrote:anyone recommend a decent graphics card to run this game - for around £60-70. I'm only AGP 4x , so please no 8x only boards.
My processor is AMD 1.8 Ghz
Memory 512 Mb
O/S WIndows ME
I don't think your problems are GFXCard related: the game engine is pretty elastic in that filed (it even works with old DX7 compatible cards).

What is an amd 1.8Ghz? Thunderbirds went max to 1.4, so i guess you're talking about an Athlon XP 1800 (that's something aroung 1.5Mhz).

GFXcard (even if agp8x) are backward compatible, so there's no problem about that.

My system is:

Abit NF7-S with an Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked as a 3200+.
1Gb Memory.
Decent HD (7200 rpm maxtor diamond9) [check this: "older" HDs, like the maxtor diamond8 are much slower].
Built In audio subsystem (soundstorm)
Hercules Radeon 9500 pro gfx board (old, but still faster than 9600Pro/XT).

My advice is: if you want to spend money, upgrade your CPU (if your motherboard allows for faster ones). If you can't, bettere spend money in a new motherboard + CPU and a decent midrange GFXCard.

For the ones who may care, this is my actual pc:

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

heh alot of people having trouble with this game aint they...
ive got a pretty decent machine and i had a few texture problems for about 20 minutes and the loading times suddenly went to bog down urrg speeds of 3.. but after a little maintenance everythings fine.

games a bit short though and the ending is crap.