C64 SID CD-ROM idea I'm toying with - "Pure 6581"

For those who want to post remixes from other platforms or show off their original work. Post them here!
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

C64 SID CD-ROM idea I'm toying with - "Pure 6581"

Post by Kenz »

Hey folks!

For a while now I've been toying with the idea of putting together an uber-compilation of all the best REAL C64 recordings that I've done in the past. I have literally HUNDREDS of C64 tunes which have been recorded directly from the C64 (i.e not emulated or remixed in any way) and I was thinking of making this great selection of recordings available as mp3s.

The mp3s will be at the maximum quality settings so the sound quality will be awesome. The CD will feature music from all the legends - Ben Daglish, Matt Gray, Fred Gray, Maniacs of Noise, Tim Follin, Dave Whittaker etc. etc. What I'll basically do is choose my absolute favourite recordings that I've done in the past, fill out the id3 tags with all the relevant info and keep on adding them until a standard 700mb CD-ROM is filled.

This is something I've wanted to do for ages as it will be a collection of "all killers no fillers" original SID tunes - and there will be bloody loads of them.

"Pure 6581"

Whaddyareckon?

Note: It MIGHT contain selected stuff from Hubbard and Galway - possibly unreleased tracks from Project:Galway and taster tracks from Project:Hubbard ... we'll see! :)

And if you are wondering about Project:Hubbard - I'll be in the studio this weekend recording all the tracks for CD1 (it will be a 3CD set!) :D
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Yes, a Pure 6581 CD sounds like a great idea, particularly if you can cram it full of rare stuff that people won't have heard as well as the obvious crowd pleasers...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

It will have some quite obscure stuff on there - like that superb "Compleeto" SID we played on the Z-Show recently.

I just want a massive collection of gorgeous SID recordings where every track is a winner - then I can just leave it playing in Winamp whenever I need a SID fix.

The HVSC is a great tune archive but I'm a bit of a purist and prefer the sound of REAL SID .... Plus mp3s are nice and portable and you can stick the tunes easily on your iPod, in yer car or wherever. :)
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Sounds like a WINona Ryder of an idea squire....

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

sounds sidtacular.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

InSIDiously tempting...
All is lost.
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

Love the idea and I'm sure you'll do the mp3 compression right too
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Kenz wrote:It will have some quite obscure stuff on there - like that superb "Compleeto" SID we played on the Z-Show recently.
Now that's very much like it. I really like that tune myself and it's great fun. If you would like any suggestions for the track listing Kenz, drop us a line. You know I'll pick some quality obscure stuff :)

Incidentally, hope you've got access to both a 6581 and 8580 SID for this project. Just that some of the later tunes you might put on there are 8580-specific. If you check the properties of any SID file in Sidplay2/w, if the "SID Model" is specified, use that one.

For example, Compleeto uses a 6581, yaay! :)

Anyway, a few suggestions for now:

/VARIOUS/M-R/PRI/Dreams_Odyssey_Part_1.sid (You know I love this one)
/VARIOUS/S-Z/Zyron/Lazy_Day.sid
/VARIOUS/S-Z/Shogoon/Altered_States_Tune_1.sid
/VARIOUS/S-Z/Vip/Oded.sid
/VARIOUS/A-F/Ed/Rotar_Nut_Pop.sid
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

And if you are wondering about Project:Hubbard - I'll be in the studio this weekend recording all the tracks for CD1 (it will be a 3CD set!)
Yes - I was wondering when we'd hear some news on this. Hope everything when well at the studio Kenz - I'm really looking forward to hearing the results....on all 3 CD's.

Good luck with it and thanks for all the efforts. Do you have the playlist for it yet ??? I'd love to know what's on (and what's missing !!!). Even 3 Cd's full would mean leaving someone's favorite tune out. :)

Ta Kenz
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

Weekend was a bit of a disaster of equipment failures, internet outage, phone outage, mobile phone loss and other assorted stress (which is why I missed the Z-Show yesterday!) :(

Hopefully I'll have a track list for the first Project:Hubbard CD sorted by the end of the week. I'll then listen to the feedback you guys give and will chop and change the contents accordingly. CD1 will be early Rob stuff so if there's anything you INSIST must be included then let me know!! (I'll start a proper thread for Project:Hubbard when I've got a track listing for CD1)

CD1 = The Early Years
CD2 = Classic Rob!
CD3 = End of an Era (+ Bonus Tracks)

Those aren't confirmed names for each CD (just work in progress names) but if you can think of any cool snappy titles for each CD then feel free to post 'em. :)
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

How about

CD1: Beginnings
CD2: In the middle
CD3: Endings

One you must get on there - the Train Robbers theme with the train whistle, one of my fave Hubbard tracks.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Kenz wrote:The HVSC is a great tune archive but I'm a bit of a purist and prefer the sound of REAL SID .... Plus mp3s are nice and portable and you can stick the tunes easily on your iPod, in yer car or wherever. :)
I'm wondering whether it was ever thought about to have the entire HVSC collection converted to mp3 for people to put on their iPods or in the car.

Failing that, a Pure 6581 CD is the next best thing. A great idea! :)
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

Not sure if the entire HVSC as mp3s would be a good idea - over 28000 mp3s would take up a lot of space even with lots of compression - And would take ages to produce ... Plus (dare I say it), not all SIDs are good SIDs! ;)

The good thing about Pure 6581(tm) is that it will be a hand-picked selection of the best of the best of the best SIDs (with honours) - and all the recordings are all done already!
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

im looking forward to project rub knobhard :)
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

Kenz wrote: - And would take ages to produce ...
Too right, finding the time for each tune and if it looped fading it out... only a mutant would do that....

go for it Chappers!

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)