The new punk music?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
westerling
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

The new punk music?

Post by westerling »

I read in a swedish morning paper called DN that Malcolm Maclaren, the manager of Sex Pistols, predicts that the 8-bit music is the music of the future; the new punk! 8) It was to be read in a paper in the paper called Downtown (På stan) under the category "Children". Hey, I´m 29 years old and I found it interesting. :)

They also announced that once a month in Stockholm they have a club with 8-bit music at Alcazar called Microdisko.

Tonight it´s also a little festival at Lava (in Stockholm) called Miniplug(the standard output on a gameboy)-festival with a workshop. It´s free. Bring along your old C-64 or Amiga, Atari, PC or Gameboy and they can teach you how to make your own music with these gadgets if you don´t know how to. Three Gameboy-bands perform. One from Belgium (M-.-n) and two from Spain (Rabato + Pepino).

Have a nice evening. :cheers:
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Any chance of the article posted with some translations?

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
westerling
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by westerling »

It was an interview with a producer at Lava who mentioned that Malcolm Maclaren has said that. Everything else in the article is things that we already know.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: The new punk music?

Post by Chris Abbott »

westerling wrote:I read in a swedish morning paper called DN that Malcolm Maclaren, the manager of Sex Pistols, predicts that the 8-bit music is the music of the future; the new punk! 8) It was to be read in a paper in the paper called Downtown (På stan) under the category "Children". Hey, I´m 29 years old and I found it interesting. :)

They also announced that once a month in Stockholm they have a club with 8-bit music at Alcazar called Microdisko.

Tonight it´s also a little festival at Lava (in Stockholm) called Miniplug(the standard output on a gameboy)-festival with a workshop. It´s free. Bring along your old C-64 or Amiga, Atari, PC or Gameboy and they can teach you how to make your own music with these gadgets if you don´t know how to. Three Gameboy-bands perform. One from Belgium (M-.-n) and two from Spain (Rabato + Pepino).

Have a nice evening. :cheers:
And you know what the Institute of Contemporary Arts thinks about that (and says with a sniffy pretentious face?):

"I don't think Malcolm McLaren is much of a role model"

Chris
dan gillgrass

Re: The new punk music?

Post by dan gillgrass »

Chris Abbott wrote: And you know what the Institute of Contemporary Arts thinks about that (and says with a sniffy pretentious face?):

"I don't think Malcolm McLaren is much of a role model"

Chris
OUCH!

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
zerozillion
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by zerozillion »

what roughtech sounds like
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

Nice read, thank for pointing me in that direction. This is what I fear, the 'chip music' becoming bastardised and then sold to the gullible masses as the next new-age crap with no copyright given to the original composers. :x

Also were Gameboy tunes all that special?
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
Xelebes
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Xelebes »

From Punk came post-punk. From post-punk came industrial. From industrial came speedbass. Speedbass includes experimental chipmusic like from such writers as Skeeter and 8Cylinder.

From Punk came death rock. From punk came techno. From death rock and techno came electroclash which is essentially a glorification of the raw chipsynth and the 80's synths.

Chiptunes themselves are stripped back music in terms of timbre and polyphony, making it an excellent medium for those tired of the overproduction of modern "skater" punk.