Discuss: New voting profile feature

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Discuss: New voting profile feature

Post by LMan »

<a href="/">Check the news!</a> :)
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

First of all: Great feature! :clap:

Ah, I see, you already terminated this 24seven or whatshisname. :)
I bet he was only a second account of apollo2k or similar stuff.
DJ_Rusty seems to be something like that, too.

2. If I look at some weird statistics like PLOKOLP's, I must be very daffy for releasing remixes, rating remixes and posting in the forum with the same pseudo!? :slap: Goddamn, that's risky! :roll: :wink:
But then I remember that I did that all for the sake of music and not for the sake of ignorant people who don't understand music in its most honest form. (Damn it's difficult for me to write this in a foreign language.)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

hmm, i love this feature....great work, thx markus!!

cheers ifadeo
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Romeo Knight wrote:Ah, I see, you already terminated this 24seven or whatshisname. :)
I bet he was only a second account of apollo2k or similar stuff.
DJ_Rusty seems to be something like that, too.

2. If I look at some weird statistics like PLOKOLP's, I must be very daffy for releasing remixes... [/size]
Hey Romeo,

the 24seven account has been terminated basically because it was registered with a fake name. apollo2k claims that 24seven and DJ_Rusty are brothers of his who have voted from their own will. DJ_Rusty has provided his real name, so even if it's not particularly fair, I can not prohibit this behaviour. In dubio pro reo...

About plokop: Yeah his extremely bad review of your choon seemed a bit odd, so I looked into his voting, but nothing suspicious there. I guess he just dislikes your tune very much for some weird reason.

As I use to say: For each and every piece of art, regardless of its quality, there will always be a group of people who will love it, and a group of people who will hate it. A fact that us artists must accept. :)

Anyway thanks for the nice words, guys. :)

- Markus
plokolp

Post by plokolp »

Hi Romeo_Knight

Thanks for contacting me directly about my review about BallBlazer. Let me elaborate for you.

Introduction is corny.

The beat and riff is repetitive and droning. It quickly gets irritating to my ears. I do acknowledge that this is in the style of the original SID, so this is really a reflection of the original piece of music. For this I give you credit for following the original SID and being creative with it.

Beastie Boys. Never liked rap. Don't like swearing or meaningless lyrics, or lyrics for the sake of rhyming. As I said, I've never really understood the attraction to rap, so ANY piece of music that is rap does not gel with me.

In some parts, it reminds me of a cross between the one of the Spice Girls songs, and “We built this city on rock and roll” by Starship with the contrived radio commentary.

It's different, but that doesn't make it good.

Sorry you didn’t like my review. I’ve withdrawn it, because I feel that it was so different from the many others that obviously feel something completely different than I, so I’m going to take this time to reflect on this experience and see if something changes before I review it again.

Romeo Knight. I've answered your query. Now answer me this. Do you always contact people who give you a bad rating and label them as "blind, ignorant and senseless"? If you create something as diverse as music and then throw it out on a public forum like the internet, you've gotta be ready for a whole range of different opinions.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I can't emphasize this one enough: For each and every piece of art, regardless of its quality, there will always be a group of people who will love it, and a group of people who will hate it. A fact that us artists must accept.

Although a "bad" rating might seem too harsh for 99% of the listeners, it obviously reflected plokolp's real opinion. What kind of feedback system would that be, if only good reviews were allowed?!
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:A fact that us artists must accept.

Although a "bad" rating might seem too harsh for 99% of the listeners, it obviously reflected plokolp's real opinion.
Well said.

On the other side, the musician has also the right to express himself if he feels treated in an unfair way, or to respond to blindness of other ppl.

You know, by now i'm really much calm than in the past.
Nonetheless, i can't really stand ppl giving a "bad" just because they don't like the genre of the music. It's stupid and mindless, discurages the remixer from experimenting and isn't a good service for the reviewer intelligence too.

Btw: nice work with the new feature ;)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
the_JinX
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by the_JinX »

Looks nice..

I was surprised when 'voting' for Romeo and the Biesties.. Didn't notice the news ;)
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

@LMan: There's no need in changing the system. And of course I don't think bad ratings should not be allowed, that'd be absurd. The shitty thing about bad ratings isn't the bad ratings themselves, it's being destructive with them. I've made too much music in my life that "bad ratings" could affect me in this way, I've seen worse things(ever played live ? :wink: )

@plokolp: Thanks for answering my mail (whereas a PM would have been more opportune but nevermind).
Romeo Knight. I've answered your query. Now answer me this. Do you always contact people who give you a bad rating and label them as "blind, ignorant and senseless"?

Straight question, straight answer: No.
If you have a look at the ratings of all my remixes you'll see there are several bad ones. I also wrote to you that I respect any opinion about music - at least if it's stated through a comment that deserves the name "opinion". Something like "It's crap" or similar things isn't one IMO, that's something I'd call ignorance. I don't think it's not adequate to ask for the reason of such comments.
As I said, I've never really understood the attraction to rap, so ANY piece of music that is rap does not gel with me.
That's the point I'd call senseless: You chose the function to review a rap remix and tell me you don't understand rap music at all? How can you "review" it then? That's something I don't understand.

For further information read DHS's posting. :)

Eike
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Of course the artist has the right to defend his work, as well as the reviewer has the right to call it bad.

But this should always happen on a rational basis. It doesn't help the cause if it comes to calling names - and that goes for either side. I just don't like the idea of voters withdrawing their rating because it's an unpopular opinion.

The interesting thing about the public reviews is, that you get feedback about your music from all kinds of guys:

- people with fundamental musical knowledge
- mere consumers

Of course, the latter type might not recognise all aspects that make a tune outstanding or admirable. Such a person would just state "what he likes". Still it's important to get such feedback, since the majority of people who will listen to your work fit in that latter category, while you will get more feedback from the first kind.

See, it's not that I don't understand. For example, we have every remixer's darling Eliot, who keeps coming up with interesting reasons why a tune is crap (if you're reading this: Hey Eliot, no hard feelings :) )
Regarding our current Trantor tune, he shouts: "Stylish... It does not fit.... I can't share the enthusiasm of the crowd... Where is the fad-out at the end, btw?"

Now the touchy artist in me wants to yell "WTF!? Hell, it is supposed to be different from a standard ending!!!". Then reason sets in and I must calm myself: "Okay he likes standard fade-outs and our tune doesn't provide that. Oh well as long as we're ourselves happy with it." :D

And plokolp's review was, while not being nessecarily understandable, not really destructive either (as far as I remember).

BUT: and this is a big but, Romeo Knight's comment about not reviewing rap music when you don't like it has its point, too. I'd rather reccomend going for the "Shout" function in that case.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:The interesting thing about the public reviews is, that you get feedback about your music from all kinds of guys
Good point.
LMan / Remix64 wrote: Where is the fad-out at the end, btw?"
Oh god, i think i missed that, *LOL* (should it be caused by the fact that i actually never read his comments? :))
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Isn't life strange.... :shock:
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Of course, the latter type might not recognise all aspects that make a tune outstanding or admirable. Such a person would just state "what he likes". Still it's important to get such feedback, since the majority of people who will listen to your work fit in that latter category, while you will get more feedback from the first kind.
Whilst I actually have musical knowledge (hey, grade 5 trumpet and musical theory here folks :lol: ), tunes get better votes from me if they sound good and makes you want to listen rather than just being made well which I feel some people fall into the trap of when voting. But that's just my opinion. Just because a piece has been polished to the nth degree, doesn't mean it's a good remix.

Hence why some of the pieces sitting right at the top of the charts haven't necessarily been given top marks by myself, and some sitting much lower down have instead...
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

Thanks Lman!
As usual Remix64 finds a way to resolute a problem. While another C64 forum, I used to frequent just locks the topic only for the conflict to boils over into another thread.

Personally I've always been a little scared of casting a negative vote or an voicing opinion when I disagree with the sound of a RKO remix. Mostly because I don't want to kick the artist in the guts because they usually follow up with a remix that is far better than their last.
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Love the new feature, LMan!

Excellent stuff! :D
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -