Are you on myspace ?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

C64GLeN wrote:I think myspace limits the length of tracks you upload so you can't upload (reasonable long) podcasts
And even if they did allow huge files, they're pretty uptight on one not being able to put up audio that you haven't created yourself, so unless I start featuring Creative Commons licensed stuff only, it's a no-go.

Oh well, I've never liked the site anyway. :D
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Myspace seems to be a place where you can spend (and waste) a lot of time. Like most other community sites on the big bad Internet. :D

Anyway, if you want to spend some more time online, Visa Röster just appeared on MySpace as well:

http://www.myspace.com/visaroster

Feel free to add us as a friend, at MySpace as well as IRL... :wink:
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Don't even get me started.

Myspace is, to be brutally honest, a crock of crap. It's just amazing what media hype and what teenagers and general web users put up with these days.

The "sites" are just so non-web standards compliant that it's untrue, most of them look a complete disorganised mess with a rubbish layout that just is so uneasy on the eyes, and it's not very user friendly one bit. It also is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who is an ugly corporate mother who owns several media companies and who spreads bull via his gutter tabloid media.

Personally, it's just an excuse for people to "social network" the easy way without having any necessary web skills. I'd much rather put time and effort into a site that says what I want to say (like mine does) and is actually more interesting where content above all else is the key.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Waz wrote:Don't even get me started.

Myspace is, to be brutally honest, a crock of crap. It's just amazing what media hype and what teenagers and general web users put up with these days.

The "sites" are just so non-web standards compliant that it's untrue, most of them look a complete disorganised mess with a rubbish layout that just is so uneasy on the eyes, and it's not very user friendly one bit. It also is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who is an ugly corporate mother who owns several media companies and who spreads bull via his gutter tabloid media.

Personally, it's just an excuse for people to "social network" the easy way without having any necessary web skills. I'd much rather put time and effort into a site that says what I want to say (like mine does) and is actually more interesting where content above all else is the key.
[sarcastic][evil]Hmm... what to add... Heh, yeah! And it's a prime hunting ground for pedophiles to get after stupid kids & teenagers.[/evil][/sarcastic]
All is lost.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Vosla wrote: [sarcastic][evil]Hmm... what to add... Heh, yeah! And it's a prime hunting ground for pedophiles to get after stupid kids & teenagers.[/evil][/sarcastic]
That is what I was going to post originally in this thread but I just mentioned Teenagers and left the Pedophiles part out.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

-For those you signed up for the wrong profile: you can convert it to a band profile.

MySpace is a great place for advertising and getting new contacts.

Personally I've gained a helluva lot from MySpace: Jason Nevins (Madonna, Janet Jackson, etc.) just got my sample cd and now endorses it. This was via MySpace.

And I just got a nice production job (2 actually) from a UK label via MySpace too.

Make an organized and useful profile without embedding idiotic stuff like monkey videos and animations, etc. Use 15 minutes a day to maintain and expand relationships, and it certainly will pay off if you actually have something to offer other people.

http://www.myspace.com/lagerfeldt
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Lagerfeldt wrote:-For those you signed up for the wrong profile: you can convert it to a band profile.
Is there an FAQ to do that?
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Analog-X wrote:
Lagerfeldt wrote:-For those you signed up for the wrong profile: you can convert it to a band profile.
Is there an FAQ to do that?
Actually I made this error, ie signed up as a 'regular' profile but managed to quite easily convert it into a band/artist profile instead just by fiddling around in the profile settings. It shouldn't be that hard, but it's not easy to find. :)
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Lagerfeldt wrote:Make an organized and useful profile without embedding idiotic stuff like monkey videos and animations, etc. Use 15 minutes a day to maintain and expand relationships, and it certainly will pay off if you actually have something to offer other people.

WORD :wink:
Anthony N.Putson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Anthony N.Putson »

Retrovertigo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Retrovertigo »

Waz wrote:Don't even get me started.

What a grossly uneducated rant.

Waz, I've massive respect for you but this smacks of total ignorance.

Been a member before Murdoch owned it, an to be honest it's been the best tool i've come across for keeping in contact with far away mates.

PS: I'm not a web designer, not everyone is.
Anthony N.Putson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Anthony N.Putson »

MySpace is a great place for advertising and getting new contacts.

Personally I've gained a helluva lot from MySpace: Jason Nevins (Madonna, Janet Jackson, etc.) just got my sample cd and now endorses it. This was via MySpace.

And I just got a nice production job (2 actually) from a UK label via MySpace too.

Make an organized and useful profile without embedding idiotic stuff like monkey videos and animations, etc. Use 15 minutes a day to maintain and expand relationships, and it certainly will pay off if you actually have something to offer other people.

Thanks for the add Holger. Keep the great work up. I aggree with what you say, though its not me spending 15 mins a day keeping things ticking over, is it Glen????
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

Well, for whatever it is worth: I have directed a couple of CD sales to c64audio and have "met" a couple of people that are sincerely interested c64 music/remixes. So, if you put on your usual internet-filter, you can actually use myspace for something. Perhaps a lot, maybe less.

My personal view is that a lot of young people relate in other ways than we "old" people do (oh yes, there is a difference, and not necessarily a bad one)---and myspace is perfect for them, and it is a mirror of how they use relations. Content isn't king, relations are. It's social constructionism :)

-Theo
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

It can be a great way of finding new bands or checking them out before you go to see them at a gig. Yes, it can be tiresome when you get SPAM or Internet kiddies bothering you, but it's not that bad... Free blog as well (check out my sig).
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I don't do www social networking, I have a basic uneasiness when it comes to recording my social relations on a public server. Privacy anyone? :shock: