New Jean-Michel Jarre album

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GeckoYamori »

The fact that they used the originals instead of tiresome supersaw anthems is relieving, at least.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

omoroca wrote:
tas wrote:I think this is one of the problems with a lot of music these days, It's just so easy to create that musicians like Jarre, Oldfield etc can make an album so very quickly and lazily. There are no boundries and thus you can do anything. Working within boundries means you have to get the best out of what you can. Jarre did that very well as did oldfield. Now if you get stuck in the creative process you use an effect or a quick fix instead of using your creative mind.

Wasn't it Jarre himself who said.."You get the best out of a musician when you working within boundries?" It was either him or Vangelis anyway.
My opinion is a little different: Without any boundaries to stick to, it's not easier but even more difficult to make good music (or art, or program code, or cook a meal, or whatever). If you are e.g. a SID artist, you can always say: "That damn old chip has such narrow boundaries, it's impossible for me to make any better music than this!" If there are no (or few) boundaries, there's no excuse any more. ;-) And besides: It's easier to ride a Go-Kart than to drive a Formula 1 racing car, if ya know what I mean. The wider the possibilities, the harder it gets to be good.
That is my point.. With boundries in place it is HARDER! so you have to go on something else.. CREATIVE TALENT!

With boundries in place you have to do something wonderful, you have to make a real hard effort to produce something really good. No boundries actually makes it easier to create music but not always good to hear.

F1 is a great example of that! It was noticed that Cars were becoming far too good and so they have tried to go back to when it was all down to driving and being the BEST driver rather than the best car! - so far not entirely working but the effort to go that way is there.

At the end of the day nothing beats a human mind for inspiration - Imagine you as a kid.. I used to play with my dad shoes and use them as a car - I had tremendous fun with that. Give me a computer with generated graphics and play thats made for you is equally as fun but ultimately your living in someone else's creation not your own. When you create your own world with nothing but your own limitations suddenly the world is your oyster and others appreciate that!
Condor
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Condor »

Analog-X wrote:
Condor wrote: Latests album I downloaded was 'Oxygene Trance Remixes' (http://www.discogs.com/release/260468) from 1994 (available via torrents).
I bought that CD sometime between 1994-1995 and too me it sounds like they just took the original tracks and added drums and effects to it, and some silly voice...saying something silly as well.
yes, that's the album :D
Album is nothing special, but some elements are very well done, nice job was done in 'Oxygene 2' from that album, and with those ideas in 1994 now they could done a very good remix album. Would love to see that :D

And, here is my opinion on album...
Well, album is nothing special, I like 2 tracks in fact (or only 2 tracks - for now) -> 'Vintage' & 'Touch to remember'. I wouldn't use the word rubish, but in this album you can't see the brilliant ideas of JMJ.
I would really loved to see 'Oxygene 14-21' somewhere in the future.
I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

I think the best JMJ is to be found on "The Concerts in China" album, which is basically a best-of album performed live.

Best studio album is Equinoxe from 1978 hands down.

Some good tracks on Oxygene, Rendezvous, Magnetic Fields and also the new Oxygene album.

Waiting for Cousteau is probably his worst album. That last track is simpy new age at its absolute worst and most boring.

I will buy the new one very soon, I heard it's supposed to be very Trentemøller-ish.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

(Hej Lagerfelt - der er kun et godt nummer på det album - titelnummeret.) I agree on the last track of Waiting for Custeau. It was recommended to me, but the last long track is the worst on the album in my oppinion.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Waiting for Custeau was like when "Art of Noise' released "Yebo"
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Guess it was my brother who said "Waiting for Cousteau" is best heard when goofing around in the bathtube... with the head under water.

For my part, "Waiting for Cousteau" isn't particulary crap, if you kneecap Part 4, give it a headshot and bury it 5 feet under with a nice lime layer.
All is lost.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Odyssey Through O2 & Chronologie were good, Revolution was very "amiga demo" at the time so I got that too.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Never really understood the whole jarre thing to be honest, even when i was a young boy i thought he was pretty pretentious and up his own arse with everything he did... whale noises? i mean... honestly.

And the next person to tell me that he's great live is going to be inhumed on the spot with >points at his rusty spoon< THIS rusty spoon.

I remember being forced to sit and listen to equinox the entire album by my mum and at the end being asked how i felt, i said "bored.. can i go out now please?", course lots of people will argue that jean created a certain style but lets be honest if he hadn't of done it someone else would have and at the time wasn't eno? moroder? even tangerine? and lots of japanese people... pioneer my arse.

I always put jean as one of my influences but when asked what he influenced its my "how im NOT going to write something" gene that he tickled.

anyway, lynch away :D
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Speaking of Live stuff... was the Laser Harp thing real or fake? Watching the Live videos, sometimes it seemed that the sounds were sometimes triggered before he even put he's hand under the beam.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

In one of the released videos they inadvertantly show Michel Geiss playing the melody at the same time as he's supposed to be playing it :)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Fair enough Infamous. I still regard him as a legend, though.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Chris Abbott wrote:In one of the released videos they inadvertently show Michel Geiss playing the melody at the same time as he's supposed to be playing it :)
Its what I suspected. I have seen real electronic Harp's with sensors but none had laser lights shooting out of it.
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

I remember this fake story that circulated after the first laser harp show.. that JMJ had gotten cancer in his hands from the lasers.

I must have been 11 years old so and probably believed the story :P
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

The visuals enhance the music , and i think his shows is great :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID