Can we rename "Fun forum" to "Off Topic Forum

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Can we rename "Fun forum" to "Off Topic Forum

Post by Waz »

With some of the recent forum posts, they've not exactly been "fun" as such, more "off topic", because people would like to post something that they'd like the community to read.

I was thinking this recently, notably when tas's post about the flooding came to be. Realistically there's no other place for it, and so it went in there, the right thing to do. Sometimes the things we need to talk about aren't fun and often it's a good emotional release for the poster knowing that they have the community support.

I just think that way that anything offtopic has a home and is a bit more clearly marked. Some of the subjects may still be good fun, but it also allows the community to talk to each other too.

All I'd ask for is a rename - anyone else agree?
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

General Conversation was meant to be there for offtopics too. So the flood thread should really be moved there. The fun forum was separated from the general conversation forum because not everyone wants to take part in the silly side of things. But I'm open to suggestions... :)
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Ah, "General Conversation" is more aligned to the remix scene and the topics in there are usually discussed - even the summary of that forum seems to indicate thus:

"talk freely about the scene and the world of remixing"

As such I wouldn't personally want to wade through offtopic stuff in there: that forum should be primarily for discussions of the scene in general IMO. That way with an "offtopic" forum (a bit like Lemon's "Chit Chat" one) it's a good catch all for most other stuff.

I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions anyway...
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I think it'd be nice with an Off-Topic forum and a Common forum for music/remix related discussion. (rename fun to Off Topic and rename General to Common, or whatever... General is OK, it's just that it's so worn down and ... too general :D )
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I think we even had a forum named "Scene related" before, but we merged it into General Conversation, since noonoe used it / posted at general conversation anyways. It's hard where to draw the line.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

And I wouldn't separate the forums any further cos that would mean less people run over a certain thread.
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Can we rename "Fun forum" to "Off Topic F

Post by Monty »

Waz wrote:All I'd ask for is a rename - anyone else agree?
i was thinking the same lately, so i'm with Waz at this.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I visit and post in the Fun Forum for specific Fun Topics and crazy cooky stuff...which are FUN!!! :)

I can see the point of renaming Fun Forum into Off topic, but than again not everything would be fun in there.

I've been guilty of posting non scene or remixing related stuff or family health issues in the General Forum because there was no other place to put it.

Cant we simply create a NEW forum Topic called OFF Topic?? and all the stuff not related to the Scene or Remixing or Music would go in there.

In the end its up to Management. :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I don't like that. There is much fun stuff in fun because it's named fun, the other stuff is in general, but really, it belongs in Off Topic. There is nothing negative about Off Topic and it would really make a place for stuff which there isn't right now. There is nothing fun about a flood and there is nothing generally related to remixing or the scene about it either. You wohn't have trouble finding fun stuff in Off Topic, I'm sure. And while I'm at it, keep the number of sticky threads to a minimum.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

By the way, I think the new version of phpBB supports aggregated forums.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

For now, I have altered the description for the General Conversation forum to make it more clear that off topic stuff is allowed there. We'll have to think a little more about it, if we should really return to a split of "General Conversation" into "scene realted" and "offtopic" - there were reasons why we merged them in the first place.
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Monty »

ok, but what speaks against renaming the fun forum into offtopic? i mean everything that is posted in the fun forum is kinda offtopic and for me that's no degradation.
then we could keep the old general discussion forum which is more scene related.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Because I think merging serious off-topics with scene related general topics (where it's sometimes hard to draw the line between on/off topic) is not as bad as merging flood / disease topics with nonsense topics from the fun forum (as Analog-X pointed out).
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Uhm... :shock:
All is lost.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Vosla wrote:Uhm... :shock:
Er.... :shock:
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?