People Throwing Retro Computers in Garbage!!! ARGH!!!!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

People Throwing Retro Computers in Garbage!!! ARGH!!!!

Post by Analog-X64 »

ARRRRRGGHH!!!!!

A Co-worker today was telling me, how he threw out a Complete Coco 3 Computer system, I'm not sure if this system was available in the U.K. but here is some info with an Amiga Boing Demo Clone for it.

http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/

I make sure I let everyone know that I like Retro Computers/Consoles, but some how they still dont get it.

Last year two perfectly working Vic20's were thrown in the Garbage!!!.

:(
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

Erk, that is rather poor.

I've still got my C64, Spectrum, Nes, Megadrive and a couple of Playstations I'd ripped apart for spares. All broken, opened up and poked about with, but all too valuable to me to be chucked. The very thought is anathema to me.
Great, another set of strings ruined...
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

It would be neat to own something I could never afford when it was brand new back in the 80's.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

Well, every computer and console apart from my PC was old when it was bought. It always pays to be a generation behind. While all my mates were showing off their brand new Megadrives with like three games, I had my C64 and Spectrum with a whole cupboard full.

I bought an X-box on a whim the other week. Cost me thirty quid. The games cost a couple of quid a pop. Bargain.
Great, another set of strings ruined...
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

only stuff i threw out was a c64 mainboard, i had removed the sid chip and cpu first though. it was a dead machine that i bought for the perfect casing and the sid. even thought it was broken i still felt bad chucking it!

it makes me feel ill when i hear of people throwing out retro computers/consoles.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

I've advertised broken (and working) old computers on forums before including an Atari ST 520, an Amstrad and even an Amiga 500 . Problem is, nobody ever seems prepared to want to actually pay even a postage cost or to come and collect them.

"Don't throw them away!!! (But I can't actually be bothered to take them off your hands anyway)"... :roll:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Many a C64/C128 has been my way as "organ donors" for my SID chip projects :oops: ... at least 20-25 pieces if not more, found on flea markets... working or not... I still have a working C64 though :) ... once had an SX64 too (that "portable" thing with a small color TV and diskdrive)... traded it for a single 6582A SID chip in Belgium :roll:
and still to this day, when I see a C64 in a flea market or the like, I cannot rezstrain myself from buying it, and see what chip revision I got.... It's like a grown-up Kinder Egg for me :lol: (no... I do NOT eat the C64 casing!)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Tonka wrote:Problem is, nobody ever seems prepared to want to actually pay even a postage cost or to come and collect them.
Just as a thought: tried your local Freecycle group? I know the Manchester one has plenty of people getting rid of old stuff, and people do take it off their hands, working or not. I've seen a Speccy and an Amstrad go before now.

In fact I actually built one PC, repaired another (broken one I got from Freecycle), fixed them up, chucked Ubuntu on it and then got rid of them on Freecycle as working base units for people who had a justified need for one. Felt rather wholesome afterwards :)
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

150+ C64's, and monitors, drives, printers, tapedecks, and disks
Oh dear. This just made me depressed too (dunno why). Did all of the equipment get binned ????
I'd be suprised if anyone can top that tale of woe
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Waz wrote:
Tonka wrote:Problem is, nobody ever seems prepared to want to actually pay even a postage cost or to come and collect them.
Just as a thought: tried your local Freecycle group? I know the Manchester one has plenty of people getting rid of old stuff, and people do take it off their hands, working or not. I've seen a Speccy and an Amstrad go before now.

In fact I actually built one PC, repaired another (broken one I got from Freecycle), fixed them up, chucked Ubuntu on it and then got rid of them on Freecycle as working base units for people who had a justified need for one. Felt rather wholesome afterwards :)
Yeah - I think I'll try it. I'm usually begging for broken C64's on my local freecycle group anyway, so a quick offering of various vintage computers would be fairly quick and painless. I just want to get rid of all my crap now...
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

I sold all my old computers years ago (ZX81, Spectrums, Amstrads etc.) but since then have have re-bought them all cos I missed them all! (Yes, even the Amstrad!) :oops:
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

tomsk wrote: I'd be suprised if anyone can top that tale of woe
Here's my attempt:

Slightly OT, but I once lost out to a mint condition Roland TB-303 with carry case, box and manuals, etc. The guy wanted £150.00 for it back in 1994 (when some were going for around £1,500.00).

He was struggling financially, had about 400 kids and was selling all of his musical equipment to try and sort himself out. I was too honest/sympathetic and told him it's true value.

I'm a fucking retard. :duh:
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Kenz wrote:(Yes, even the Amstrad!) :oops:
Points finger/laughs/etc.

Don't suppose you want MY Amstrad? It's one of those **WOW!**RARE**L@@K** white ones with a cartridge slot and RF out and stuff. Loads of those (cough) classic Amstrad games, too...