Teo & Tea and MC-808 Presets.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Teo & Tea and MC-808 Presets.

Post by Analog-X64 »

Here is a video demonstrating some MC-808 Patches used in Teo & Tea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR5CwqwjxXE
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Teo & Tea and MC-808 Presets.

Post by Razmo »

I'm not surprised actually... Jarre used presets from many synths waaaay back... I guess so far back that he used them from when synths had memory... Elka Synthex is one example.. guess he's inspired like many others, and I myself has many presets I did not do myself... but of course we can debate on the use of beats and riffs as being creative. Loops are being used like never before in music today.

Don't expect Jarre to be different than anyone else... but I agree that he in specialty suffer from the fact that many of his fans believe he does everything himself, and is the father of creativity on synths... I think we are starting to see that the only thing he did, and did better than other musicians was, that he did it first... a very important factor in becoming famous :)

Nonetheless, an interresting video... thanx Golana... err, I mean Analog X :blush:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I dont think Jarre using presets is a bad thing... depends how picky you want to get.. I mean we can even argue that he didnt build any of he's synths like Kraftwerk or Thomas Dolby did, that does not make him any less of a musician.

Look at natural wind or percussion instruments like Piano, Flute etc.. they essentialy have a single Patch that every Piano Player or Guitar player uses, sure there are variations of Tuning and even variations of Pianos like Grands and Honky Tonks, but.

It was just interesting to hear how the Presets were utilized in the end.
PsychNerD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by PsychNerD »

In this specific case, it may be the opposite...

Téo & Téa features patches of drum patterns found on the Roland MC-808, a groovebox.[4] Starting from June 19th of 2007, there was a debate amongst fans at several internet forums regarding Jarre's participation in creating them, or that he might have copied them in the album with too much ease [5] [6]. Usage of these patterns is not illegal, as expressed in the user manual on page 13.

Jarre's management Aero Productions responded on the matter on June 28th with a statement to the administrator of the Jarre's "official" web forum, who posted the following message on: [7]

"Jean Michel Jarre explained that he entered into a partnership with Roland Japan last year, to collaborate with and contribute to demos, patterns and presets for their future products. Jean Michel Jarre explained that the Roland MC808 was one of these products, therefore it is not surprising that certain elements of his new TÉO & TÉA album appear on the Roland MC-808, or any other recent Roland product for that matter."
Last edited by PsychNerD on 16/09/2015 - 4:28, edited 1 time in total.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

But still... I can hear many grooves from Eric Persing's sample libraries on his "metamorphosis" album as well... Jarre is no different than anyone else... he uses presets, loops, sample CDs and his own creations... just like everyone else, and I respect him just as much anyway... it's just that some fans feel that he should do everything himself, and be constantly inovative and ground breaking.... he WAS that, because few were doing what he did, when he started out, but these days with electronica being so huge, and so many more musicians he's bound to blend in among everyone else... and his fans obviously do not get this... or at least some of them.

Jarre even used loops found in the Roland D-50... just listen to the beginning track on Revolutions... clearly taken from the D-50...
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

razmo wrote:he WAS that, because few were doing what he did, when he started out, but these days with electronica being so huge, and so many more musicians he's bound to blend in among everyone else... and his fans obviously do not get this... or at least some of them.
Yup Jarre / Kraftwerk and few others were early pioneers, unless these guys come with something totally radical, you just wont have the same wow factor.