"gemafreie-musik"

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

"gemafreie-musik"

Post by Chris Abbott »

Just to be absolutely clear, many C64 music tracks are NOT Gema-free.

Music by the following composers (original SIDs and any remixes) are under the jurisdiction of GEMA:

Rob Hubbard
Martin Galway
Ben Daglish
David Whittaker
Paul Norman
Mark Cooksey
Richard Joseph (RIP :()
Chris Huelsbeck
Reyn Ouwehand
Jeroen Tel
... for example.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Stefan_L
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: "gemafreie-musik"

Post by Stefan_L »

What is "GEMA" :oops:
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

GEMA = Copyright Agency of Germany...
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

So one would have to contact GEMA for Copyright info regarding these artists?
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

No, but anyone in Germany wishing to press use their work (CD, Radio, Internet sales) needs a licence from them to do so.
They have the right to give out those licences to German folks.

Chris
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Chris Abbott wrote:No, but anyone in Germany wishing to press use their work (CD, Radio, Internet sales) needs a licence from them to do so.
They have the right to give out those licences to German folks.

Chris
Cool...Good Info.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

And being a conservative German organisation the GEMA does it's work in a correct bureaucratic way and not like something like the RIAA. They get money for everything concerning works of their members and general amounts for each CDR and so on, because basically you are allowed to make personal copies here in Germany (it's not a crime like the industry says).
All is lost.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Chris Abbott wrote:GEMA = Copyright Agency of Germany...
I don't know if you got that right Chris, but actually the GEMA cares a shit about copyrights, violations and stuff.
It's basically about mechanical reproduction rights.
They only collect money from publishers to give it back to artists and - now comes the clue - only those artists who are members of the GEMA. You don't need a license for pressing CDs, you just need to report the content to the GEMA you wish to copy and they check if it's GEMA-licensed. (If it is, you'll receive a nice bill regarding the amount of copies you wish to publish...) Any music made by members of the GEMA is GEMA-licensed, anything else is GEMA-free music.
The GEMA are bloodsuckers. Any salonkeeper who plays radio in his pub has to pay a fee to the GEMA. From any blank CD you buy the GEMA gets a certain amount of money.
You know why I'm not a member of the GEMA? I had to pay them for publishing my own music on my website. :x
And the biggest salaries at the end of the year get those artists who are the wealthy ones anyway.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, yes. The whole point of this thread is that the composers I mentioned (and my company) are members of MCPS and STIM/NCB (or STEMRA in Holland), and thus by extension GEMA (through international agreements). Thus C64 music from those composers is not GEMA-free, as is claimed by some sites.

I have to say, GEMA are much more intrusive than MCPS/PRS in the UK, which makes them more unpleasant to deal with. However, so far the composers have gained more than they've lost by being members these organisations.

When I say "license", I meant that you pay GEMA for use of their works or face the consequences...

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Piet_B wrote:Chris Huelsbeck is a part of the GEMA. It had always been like that and we know that. But as long as their productions are re-remixed offering free for download, they are GEMA-Free and free for broadcast. That's fact. I'm talking after over 7 years of radio experience. And so we will continue like everyone would.
No, that's NOT a fact. Remixes offered for free are not GEMA-free, because the underlying composition is still GEMA-protected. Remixers do not own a piece of music simply because they remix it. You are simply, completely, utterly, self-servingly wrong. You WANT them to be GEMA-free, but they're not. "Years of radio experience" does not mean you know anything about copyright law. You know nothing about copyright law, publishing or anything else.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Piet_B wrote:BTW: Would be very interesting how "STIM" would react, if they know that some "retro stations" are playing "Gary Jules - Mad world" in their show. I'm still owning a radio cut from...I think it was 2006?! ;)
"ARGH! STIM! SLAY RADIO PLAYED A COPYRIGHT PIECE OVER A YEAR AGO!!!"

Pathetic.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I've been a publisher for 10 years: and this is a _fact_. There are two copyrights in a piece of music: the mechanical (i.e. the actual notes and melody of the song), and the phonographic (the actual recording of it). In most countries they have different organisations dealing with each set of rights: for instance, MCPS deals with mechanical rights, and PPL with phonographic ones.

You're breaching the mechanical rights. The pieces signed to MCPS/STIM are protected by GEMA due to mutual agreements covering broadcasting, synchronisation, mechanical reproduction, etc. Sites distributing MIDI files are _still_ technically illegal unless they sign a licence. I think many of them have: it's just your guess that they haven't bought licences. MCPS has a specific licence covering MIDI files.

You mention to your "contact" that you're playing works registered with MCPS and STIM and see what he says.

As for "provocation", I'd say it was provocation to lay claim to (and boast about) the label "GEMA free music" for music which is nothing of the sort: it causes trouble for me as a publisher because I have to clean up the mess caused by your, shall I be charitable and say, lack of research. This thread wouldn't exist without boasting like that.

You've taken refuge in the wrong bit of copyright law and filled in the gaps with wishful thinking of the "if piracy was illegal, there would be no pirates" variety.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Piet_B wrote:And you're sure that every other station would "own" this license for all of this tracks (OC remixes included). Very funny...I should check out that for stations like "SEGA radio" or somethin else...or maybe not. Waste of time, sorry.
It's not relative. I'm talking about you and your station. If I have a problem with the other stations, than it's with them.

If you wanted to be treated like other stations, perhaps you should behave as well as they do.

You claim GEMA-free. It isn't. Stop claiming it, stop playing the music, or buy a licence. I don't gain money if you do, but the rest of the world is full of radio stations trying to do the right thing. Now you know what the right thing is, you've no excuse, have you?

Chris
leoni
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by leoni »

Piet_B wrote: yada yada yada.. Waste of time, sorry.
Who is wasting who's time here? Lately, every time i go into this forum I see some post from you bashing out stuff against Slayradio.. well now you got me annoyed.. really annoyed.

And I can't even believe that I am writing this thing cause I thought I wouldn't say something but bloody hell enough is enough! I want to be able to hang out in this community and read about what's new on the radio and so on.. NOT about you.. and what feelings you have towards other people in here - MY FRIENDS!

//leoni
!BLEAAAUUUHHH
leoni
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by leoni »

Piet_B wrote:Where exactly? :confusion: I'm a bit confused now...
Ironically (and thankfully) those posts / threads have been removed. And insinuations are totally unneccessary since most people in here has seen all previous discussions and are quite fed up with them. I know I am for sure.

Over and out.
!BLEAAAUUUHHH