catalypse

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

catalypse

Post by Infamous »

http://infamous.ziphoid.com/catalypse3.mp3

Just discovered this on my hd, i assume when i was doing it i was drunk because i dont remember doing it, sure fire sign of musical genius that is ... ahem lol

needs a string/pad in there it sounds far too dry and alot more boom! noises and shit like that more padding out and it just might turn out ok.

Suggestions?
Last edited by Infamous on 15/08/2008 - 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: catalypse

Post by Razmo »

Hi Infy...

I've nothing to add, but that my woofer seem to like your basss sound a lot :shock: ... maybe cut a bit of te lowend on tat... otherwise nice... I especially like the beginning of this.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

aye, I'll have to run that through a compressor dropping its volume or the low end just makes it sound all muddy it totally disappears underneath the drum pattern (which i think needs to be compressed a bit too just to keep it in check, if you look at it with a wav editor you can see where it goes out of control and just blows up on both ends of the frequency lol), going to rejiggle the start a bit (not much) just needs a fair bit of fleshing out as it is its very ordinary.

Thinking of putting a small amount of reverb here and there, and ofc a string.. which is proving to be a pain in the arse aswell, still im pretty proud of it considering i was 6 sheets to the wind lol
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Maybe a multiband compressor on the bass would work nice, so that you only mess with the low end (80hz - 120Hz and down)... I've gotten good results with multiband compression on bass as it takes away the boominess without killing the "Body" of the bass sound.

Personaly I use a hardware multiband compressor (T.C. Triple C), but I'm sure there must be the equivalent in software :)
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

On my speakers the bass only sounds boomy when playing with the kick so maybe simply side-chaining the kick drum into a compressor on the bass channel will resolve it Benny Benassi style :)
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

things that have happened here.

FILE ON THE 1ST POST

sidechained the bass into the drum, this has had the added knock on effect of making the drum thump a bit more (which i like)

Run the bass through a bit of reverb, and also through a 2nd reverb unit with a really close reverb which is giving that grr noise

still no strings, but ive tidied up the sound a bit more, so a string can just be dropped in (in theory), just need to give it a decent middle, beginning and a end and were cooking.

Cheers for the suggestions hopefully this has improved it a bit.
Last edited by Infamous on 15/08/2008 - 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

It's better now Infy... but still my woofer goes bananas here... I might have to add, that it's my Subwoofer I'm talking about :oops: ... it's frequencies below 80 hz we're talking about.

I believe you could easily cut som lowend (80hz down) off the bass... if this weakens it, I'd still go for a compressor on the Bass itself...

I don't know if software multiband or fullband compressors can do the same as T.C. Electronics Triple-C, but it has an option where you can add together the compression of both the compressor itself, and the sidechain ... a joint effort so to speak... with this you could compress both the bass itself, and have a kick drum add to the compression of the bass sound.

I might be nitpicking now Infy, but that's my nature :duh:
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

hehe I dropped the signal very slightly it doesnt rumble as much but still goes OOOMPH nicely, im trying for the whole "club" sound and i think ive got it spot on so far.

Whats changed in this version?

Theres a sort of square string thingie that's helped fatten out the beginning, the start is finished (oxymoron!) and its about 90% complete, theres a few more bits i want to put in there, like a proper middle breakdown, mess about with the breakbeat section a little and have a bit of variation in it, turn down the backing square a tiny tad and i believe... its finished.

oh ps.. new version is on the 1st post "catalypse3"
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Sounds a lot "rounder" now. Me likes. :)
All is lost.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Will be a little while before i release anything, as the remake competition has started and i have been snowed under with requests which even though it may sound like im complaining, i really aint i absolutely ADORE these compo's and the pressure that comes with trying to squeeze in 2895983259823 tunes in 3 months lol.

so hopefully, everything i've put up will be out for the end of xmas coming into the new year.

I'll clean up the current version of catalypse i have which is about 75% finished to whet appetites like and put it up later on today or tomorrow. thanks again guy's and especially razmo for the comments and idea's
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

I like the sound... :D No pad needed here... :wink: