HDMI problem

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

HDMI problem

Post by omoroca »

I have the following problem: For the birthday party of a friend we want to connect our laptop to their TV set by HDMI, and then do some Karaoke. The laptop has an analog microphone in, and the Karaoke CDs are already played on the TV in full screen with sound.

But how do I get the microphone signal on the HDMI cable? I keep on hearing myself on the laptop speakers, no matter what settings I choose.

Operating system: Windows Vista

Does anyone know any advice?
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Re: HDMI problem

Post by Vosla »

A friend has a similar problem with his laptop. The onboard soundcard does not provide a signal for the HDMI output. As long as the speakers are connected to the soundcard (well, they are soldered on the MB!!), the signal seems to be blocked for other channels except for the usual earphone jack and the usual lineout. The extra soundcard in his desktop does provide HDMI output but he had to connect an extra wire on the mainboard.

This is pretty confusing for me as I don't have much experience with sound over HDMI and once heard you don't even need a soundcard but simply OS-support for HDMI audio output - maybe I simply misinterpreted it a bit?

Anyway - here is what wikipedia says about HDMI and PCs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Relat ... _computers
All is lost.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: HDMI problem

Post by omoroca »

A friend of mine told me it depends on the drivers, not on the hardware, so a driver update could solve the problem. But I haven't tried this yet.

Thanks for the reply!
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.