aufweidersehen monty.. again

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

aufweidersehen monty.. again

Post by Infamous »

This time having to stick to the proper format of the tune as its for a remake of the game and i need opinions on it .. so who better than the denizens of the c64 community eh?

so here it is -

http://infamous.ziphoid.com/holymoly.mp3

still quite a way to go, ive got alot of monty to fill in but this is the "basic" idea so far.
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: aufweidersehen monty.. again

Post by tomsk »

I like it, but you've got to change the instrument at the beginning. The sawtooth blip sounds awful, and although retro is the theme I'm sure you can replace it with a less irritating sound.
When the drums kick in it sounds really good, but I would still consider adding some additional backing to fill out the tune.
Other than that it sounds hip, cool and fresh (and other words someone of my age shouldn't use.) Look forward to hearing and seeing the remake
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

The drums are just lovely but the rest you should change the instruments :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

I agree with Tomsk... you need to fill out the "gaps" here with something... maybe some kind of strings, since the original has a continous "flow" to it while the melodies play... I know this is darn hard with this breakbeat stuff, since it ruins the feel of the beat when you throw strings in there... maybe if you made the main melody line less breakbeat like, and then had some breaks in there with the rhythmic beat, without the soup-strings-stuff to vary it up?

About the beginning I also agree... it's to sound retro I know, but if it is to sound retro, why not just sample the original and use that in the beginning? :)

Otherwise an interresting concept... but I'm sure it'll end up being cool... your stuff usualy have me listening to the end of your tunes, which to be honest, very few does! :wink:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Changed the start, i wasnt too happy with the sid noises (it did make me smile that the one thing that got complained about the most was the only 2 noises coming out of the quadrasid) The the main leads are played using the ymvst The 1st one played pure (with a little reverb/delay to fill it out) the 2nd line with a crap load of filtering (to cover the pitch changes seeing as it can't do pitch sliding as well as the sid could).

The rest of the tune is using the delta3 (bassline acompaniment, that grrrrrr noise and the processing on the incidental beat), zt3a (the bassline) and the helix (pads/the stabby parts) Im trying to keep things as basic as possible I dont plan to deviate very much from the original (all the solo's etc will be in place and it should weight in at 4minutes like the original did and hopefully.. loop).

Anyway.. hopefully this version will sound a bit better.. as i do more i'll post it up.

@razmo - that could possibly be the nicest thing anyones said about my music, Really pleased that you like the stuff that i do and i hope to continue to make your ears happy. :-)

http://infamous.ziphoid.com/holymolyv01.mp3
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

http://infamous.ziphoid.com/holymolyv01.mp3

updated!.. let me know what you think
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sidman 64 »

I like this new version with the better intro sound :wink:
And I just love what you have done with the track, a nice fresh take on a great sid :cheers:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Definitely better than the first one Infy... but I feel that the lead melodies sound "distant"... I'd expect them to be more prominent... the wide bass-sound steal the picture when I listen to it, and the melodies sound like they are monaural? (dead center)... maybe it's just the volume, I'm not sure.... maybe it's my speakers :lol:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

http://infamous.ziphoid.com/Monty.mp3

Pushed the mainlines "up" in the mix so they stick out a little more, theres still a absolute shit'ton'o'work to be done on it though, but the basic structure is now there.. and the tune is finished.. minus the droning ending of the original sid .. not keeping that bit ive stuck to 99% the original structure of the tune.

Next incarnation will have extra added strings, better compression on the drums, stronger bass.. lots of extra bells and whistles to fatten the thing up and hopefully no mistakes.. cos i can hear plenty of them xD