Cybernoid II

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Cybernoid II

Post by Mordi »

Yeeees, it's another Cybernoid remix :p I haven't done it before, and its one of my favorite C64 melodies (the sid itself isnt really that good, IMO, just the melody itself).

What do you think?

Edit:
Yesterday's version here! http://willhostforfood.com/users/Mordi/ ... 0(WIP).mp3

Latest, most lastest version here! http://willhostforfood.com/users/Mordi/ ... 0Remix.mp3

Big Changes:
Elongated "chorus".
Removed vocals from "softy-section".
Last edited by Mordi on 17/10/2008 - 17:00, edited 3 times in total.
Check out my website.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Cybernoids II

Post by Amok »

Ouch... the first part is completely wrong. There should be chords, mate... :confusion:

There are some wrong notes in the melody line too...

Sound and arrangementwise its pretty cool... 8) Great piano part... :cheers:

Just correct the chords/notes and that will be a great remix... :wink:
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Amok wrote:Ouch... the first part is completely wrong. There should be chords, mate... :confusion:

There are some wrong notes in the melody line too...
Whoops. I'll spend some time fixing that up. I'm not that familiar to cybernoid 2, really.

"Chords" are when two notes are two notes play at a different note at the same time, right? :p The chord part actually has chords, but maybe they are too low?
Check out my website.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

Chords can be two or more different notes playing at the same time. In this case (Cybernoid 2) there are three notes for the chords at the beginning.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

I exported the chords and bassline from my Cybernoid 2 remix. Maybe that helps a bit:

http://amok.madtracker.net/C2chords.MP3
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Amok wrote:I exported the chords and bassline from my Cybernoid 2 remix. Maybe that helps a bit:

http://amok.madtracker.net/C2chords.MP3
Thanks, but it's still very hard to hear what the notes are. :( Are there any trackers I can use to visualize it?
Your remix on RKO is great btw.
Check out my website.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

It took me weeks to figure the right chords out... :wink:

But if you want i can try to create a midi file of the chords. What programm do you use?
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Amok wrote:Thanks :D
What programm do you use?
I use FL Studio, so a midi would be perfect.

Thanks!
Check out my website.
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Monty »

it has great potential!

pro: sound & production
contra: some wrong notes/parts (i'm no 1:1 fetishist but they sound inharmonic)

and that piano part is really good.
keep listening to the original, fix the wrong parts and the remix will be great!
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Cool, thanks!
Do you think it could achieve outstanding if some changes were made? I have fixed most errors in the melody, thanks to Amok's help.
I have also made the lead synth less "squeaky". It doesnt cut your ears at its highest notes.

I also found that when I fixed the melodies (they were too low down, about 3 tones) they sounded too "happy". When I kept them low, they sound more "sinister", you know? Like the part with all the crashed sounds like something that would play in some moviescene where the main character is out to get the bad guys, kinda.
I also like to change the melody to what I think sounds better, but only small bits and pieces.

What would you do to make this better?
:cheers:
Check out my website.
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Monty »

well, in the end it's your remix and you decide what to do with it.

personally i will never have probs with altered sounds, as long as the changes make sense harmonically and sound good (to me).

for example at 3:17 i think you changed the chord from f a# d to g a# d but it sounds good in the context (creepy atmosphere, surprising variation).
on the other hand the part from 1:40 to 2:10 sounds strange regarding the notes of the lead. plus, the note at 1:50 is awful!

generally it seems to me to be more "safe" to subtly change a chord here and there instead of changing the melody line drastically, because c2 is a classic piece and everyone knows the "right" notes...
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Monty wrote:generally it seems to me to be more "safe" to subtly change a chord here and there instead of changing the melody line drastically, because c2 is a classic piece and everyone knows the "right" notes...
This is one of the reasons I dont buy Single Remixes anymore, back in the late 80's and up till Mid 90's you had people like Shep Pettibone and Francois Kevorkian doing Remixes, which stayed true to the original track. Now a days, remixers are hired because they are hot in Clubs etc.. and the end result most of the time is something like a 2 second sample from the original track and the rest is the whatever the hell the DJ decided to produce.

I'm not against taking the liberty to add new sounds or notes that enhance the original, like something new in the middle of a break beat. But the Main Melodies should stay intact.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Okay, I've put up WIP number 2 now. It's way better in the first few minutes, IMO. Tuned down the lead. Maybe a tad too low?

See first post.
Check out my website.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Very nice update.. thanks for sharing this.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120