what the public want?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

what the public want?

Post by Infamous »

ive been reading the posts around on this forum for a while now and ive noticed alot of people complaining about the lack of originality.
Not in what us the remixers do but as us as the remixers actually remix.

ie the last ninja series and the many comic bakerys (they should start a chain and sell sticky buns....mmmmmmmm i could do with a stick bun... )
that are out there.

So i am going to ask here what is it that you people actually want?
i know that you all dont want the same thing and alot of you come from demo scenes instead of the actual game area so why do you all sit and complain and yet on the remix request board nothing is actually put down there?

the only one i have really ever seen request alot is hoomish (who has dissapeared strangly) but then even he only seemed to request out of the main c64 pages.

soooooooo why dont we if we really want some diversity in the remix sections start putting out what we would like that HASNT been done....or hell go off and do things that aint been done.
instead of moaning about it and then doing sod all and continuing in a nice vicous circle.

just a view people :-).
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Personally, I don't care whether a tune's been done to death *if* a new version is stunning and innovative. The problem (which Waz touches on) is that people often just do _another_ version, which isn't all that much different to what's been done before - maybe just new instruments.

For instance, if there had been 50 versions of Cauldron II, I'd have still found I'm a Pumpkin Man an exceptional remix, and the same is true of much of TDG's back catalogue, or that boy-band Comic Bakery by PPOT.

If there must be a new Delta, Comic Bakery or Sanxion, fine. But just make sure it doesn't sound like all the others.
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

I just wanna here something that is good and pleasing to my ears

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

CraigG wrote:If there must be a new Delta, Comic Bakery or Sanxion, fine. But just make sure it doesn't sound like all the others.
Something alike "Sanxion (for two bassoons and a harmonica remix)" ? :D
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

carlsson wrote:Something alike "Sanxion (for two bassoons and a harmonica remix)" ? :D
Oddly enough, that's the mindset of some remixers, but that probably _wouldn't_ be enough. As I said, it's just Sanxion with different voices. I think it's mostly time to get away from direct reconstructions of the original, which people have been doing since year zero of C64 remixes.
Hacky
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Hacky »

There's a lot of stuff out there in the demo music world that's ripe for re-mixing, but obviously the orig track won't be so well known as a classic game tune.

I love it, when it's done well, when stuff is completely changed, ie made into classical or jazz or something. Some of the stuff on the new Remix64 CD does this, and sounds amazing! I can't wait to buy it! It's nice to see people doing stuff like that now.

Also some games and demos from other platforms are so cool and should be re-mixed! Like (I've said it before and will say again :D ) the high score music in Zelda on the SNES and N64 is amazing, also the music for Pilot Wings on the SNES and maybe the N64 too, also the music for Super Probotector on the SNES, and so so many more. There's so much out there that it really surprises me isn't being re-mixed. I mean, the music on Shadow Of The Beast for Amiga, I especially like the dieing music, that guitar solo riff, it's never really been turned into much else, not well done anyway, and I only found like 1 maybe 2 re-mixes of some shadow of beast music on the Amiga re-mix site. There's loads more I could mention, on loads of platforms. Maybe one day I will re-mix them all into exactly what I'm dreaming about for them, who knows.
8)
Hacking is like sex; you get in, you get out, and hope that you didn't leave something that can be traced back to you.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Dear Infamous....

Do want to make remixes for the masses or for yourself ???

If you got your own style (and YOU got your own style), then the a few consumer recognize this and honour your work...

Speaking for myself I can say that I'm not one of they guys who got's a lot of downloads, fanpost or high rankings....
but there are a few people like: Hoomish (where're you), Immacolata, Monty (Hamburg), Dr.Future, Markus Schneider,
Putzi and Tom Detert... and the ones I forgot (sorry).... Which like my art & style and that makes me happy and
remotivates me to keep up the fight against the masses..... :wink:

btw. I like your work, my fav. is your Human Race remix.....

Cheers 2Klang
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Check out my latest which is quite original in choice (Flip the Flop by Reyn Ouwehand) and while not completely original production wise (a pastiche on Bomfunk MCs) it's very original in C64 respects since it includes C64 related freestyle rapping on some block rocking beats.

http://www.basejumpers.dk/fliptheflop.mp3

It's in the RKO upload q but I have not idea when it'll be up
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

thanx 2klang :-) always nice to hear kind words.

I think everyone got me about the wrong way lol.
Yeah its fine if your gonna do what trauma did... even though u check out how many cauldron 2 remix's there are... but i do understand had he had done im a bakery man or something it would have been just as special.

It is about being different, something i try to be as best i can (admittedly stuck in the breakbeat....wtf was that ? category) something alot of remixers here do and very well, like mahoney and the aformentioned trauma.

What im trying to say is that people are STILL complaining there is too many of this or that... despite that they are good or far off from the original but close enough to be a remix.... and alot of these complainers are in the scene as it where.... its fine to have constructive critisismn and the like but why say that and then do nothing about it?.

Id gladly if anyone offered and said hey infy! i found this tune in the various drawer have a listen... please if u can remix it... id gladly do that if it struck a chord with me.

maybe thats something we should all look into....maybe a monthly competittion taken out of the various draw.
start it folder A
pick an artist
pick a sid
submit, then have some form of panel that picks out the top 3 and then those who feel they can remix it... remix it.

winner gets a fluffy toy and a get out of jail free card.

as i said before just veiws :-)
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

to 2Klang:

|------------------------- Failed addresses follow: ---------------------|
<Michael.Leier@x-xxxxxx.de>
550 Mailbox quota exceeded / Mailbox voll.

I wanted to ask you by mail if you'e sure your telephone is working, there's never anybody there...but now it seems you have disabled your mailbox, too. Paranoia? :wink:
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
Papa Sid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Papa Sid »

Lagerfeldt wrote:Check out my latest which is quite original in choice (Flip the Flop by Reyn Ouwehand) and while not completely original production wise (a pastiche on Bomfunk MCs) it's very original in C64 respects since it includes C64 related freestyle rapping on some block rocking beats.
Hehehe, just wait and see. Soon at an RKO near you there'll be some dopeazz West Coast rhythms as parts of the mafia teamed up with our homeboiiii DHS to lay down some beats! 50 Cent who? He'll be worth no more than 50 Lire when we're done with that punk!

We put da rappers to shame, ya'll! We da sheeeeeat!
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

Lagerfeldt wrote:Check out my latest which is quite original in choice (Flip the Flop by Reyn Ouwehand) and while not completely original production wise (a pastiche on Bomfunk MCs) it's very original in C64 respects since it includes C64 related freestyle rapping on some block rocking beats.

http://www.basejumpers.dk/fliptheflop.mp3

It's in the RKO upload q but I have not idea when it'll be up
mmmmmmm............... I wouldnt call it original in anyway, the production values are excellent and its nice to see someone writing lyrics again to tracks to a beat (tho it has been done before several times on C64 stuff) but I still preferred Reyns own remix of it....sorry! tho I have seemed to listen to it several times so there must be something there....

CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Well, it may not be original in terms of music generally, but it's leagues ahead of most RKO stuff in terms of both originality and production values. Reyn's version was very nice, too, though.
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

CraigG wrote:Well, it may not be original in terms of music generally, but it's leagues ahead of most RKO stuff in terms of both originality and production values. Reyn's version was very nice, too, though.
In production yes, but a lot of the RKO children dont have the systems to have that kind of quality production.

Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

As with my other C64 remixes it's just a laugh, really.

I'm mostly doing it for fun and as a tribute, and it's really relaxing to work with inbetween projects, and I certainly had a lot of fun writing the lyrics. :)