is the c64 remix scene DEAD?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
arvirus
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

is the c64 remix scene DEAD?

Post by arvirus »

provocative question, isn't it? :twisted:

this is the result of what i didn't find here in the last time, namely:
-new remixes
-new cds
-passionate discussions
-> nothing new at all!

instead, i find this:
-birthday greetings
-"word association" games

so what do you think about it? is the time of c64-remixes over?

/arvid
[ http://www.arvirus.de - more than meets the eye]
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Hey Arvid,

my observation of things:

RKO disabled -> scene activity stalls.

I'm sure after Jan finishes the nifty new upload procedure, things will return to normal.

As for birthday greetings and word association games: nothing wrong with that, it's fun. :)

Passionate discussions... well rise a point (like this one) and you'll have one. ;) A problem here is, that much which is debatable has been debated before.

But tune in to the latest SLAYRadio shows and you'll see that the scene is far from dead. :)

- Markus
Last edited by LMan on 16/11/2004 - 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Also, visit us sometime at #remixcommodore and #slayradio on efnet.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, as soon as I'm done actually surviving, I'll be putting up a nice thing or two. I think the radio shows are where it's at (at the moment).

<edit>
I know no one believes I'll ever release anything again, but I will... honest!</edit>
Chris
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Nah its not dead, just in a lull.... and that happens in all communities from time to time.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Re: is the c64 remix scene DEAD?

Post by Romeo Knight »

arvirus wrote:so what do you think about it? is the time of c64-remixes over?
:o
Nonsense!
Hey girls, I have already a couple of remixes ready to shoot at the community in small doses - just let rko go online again! :twisted:
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

arvirus wrote:this is the result of what i didn't find here in the last time, namely:
-new remixes
-new cds
-passionate discussions
-> nothing new at all!
With new acts like Visa Röster making BITLive 2004 the best one ever, remixes being announced on this messageboard during RKO downtime, and the radioshows being more popular than ever, suggesting the community is dead (whether to provoke or not) is somewhat of a claim.

Maybe people tend to prioritize other things more from time to time. I know I do.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:With new acts like Visa Röster making BITLive 2004 the best one ever, remixes being announced on this messageboard during RKO downtime, and the radioshows being more popular than ever, suggesting the community is dead (whether to provoke or not) is somewhat of a claim.
Ditto!

@Arvid:
Perhaps you should consider how active you are? ;)
There's a lot of activity going on, on IRC, on SLAY Radio, RKO is being redone (it being the main source of webspace for this establishment, if the upload is closed there's a natural dip in releases), several CD's are in the making.

Just because there boards are less active than a few years ago it doesn't mean the scene is dead. It's just changed a bit. Because quite frankly, there are only so many remix related discussions you can have before it gets repetative. Most issues have been exhausted, and people have moved on from being a strict commnunity of remix enthusiasts to being a community of friends. So in one way the scene is more alive, complex and deeper than ever.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

no way, the scene is still alive but headed into a new direction (IMO).... :wink:

speaking for myself, i plan a comeback with my new music-project but this
time i try to avoid the mistakes i've done before with my other remix-projects....

cheers

ifadeo
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GeckoYamori »

We could always arrange some compos... That would be nice.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

GeckoYamori wrote:We could always arrange some compos... That would be nice.
Yeaaah that would be nice! If anyone has the time / ideas to pull off an official Remix64 competition, <a href="http://www.remix64.com/mail.php?nick=lm ... act</b></a> me!
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

The scene is far from dead, it's just matured a bit or even slightly taken different directions.

I can tell you the irc chatrooms are busier than ever, Slayradio is enjoying it's highest listening figures of all time both in the live shows and on the rotational playlist.

The messageboards here have slightly died down, because of many factors... one being it's kinda moved onto #remixcommodore

LAck of CD's well it was only a month ago mahonney and his gang released a CD, and only about 11 month ago remix64 v2 and ppot's CD's came out.

Bitlive happened only a few month ago too.

Dead? nah! it's just changed a bit... if you kept up with the scene a little more you'd realise the direction it has changed!
arvirus
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by arvirus »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote: With new acts like Visa Röster making BITLive 2004 the best one ever,
how many people were there?
Jan Lund Thomsen wrote: remixes being announced on this messageboard during RKO downtime,
RKO maybe down or not - the amount of remixes that are released is BY FAR less than one or two years ago!
Jan Lund Thomsen wrote: and the radioshows being more popular than ever,
how do you define "popular"? how many people listen to this radio show? according to the "Top Ten heard tracks on the rotational list" it's around 130. so the average number of listeners must be around 80?
Jan Lund Thomsen wrote: Maybe people tend to prioritize other things more from time to time. I know I do.
me too! but doesn't priorizing other things mean that the former "main interest" is less interesting now?
Makke wrote: Perhaps you should consider how active you are? ;)
you mean in the c64 remix scene? nope, i still produce the same amount of remixes as always ;-)
Makke wrote: several CD's are in the making.
are they? i keep hearing that sentence for months (if not for years) and nothing seems to happen.
Makke wrote: Just because there boards are less active than a few years ago it doesn't mean the scene is dead. It's just changed a bit.
that's an argument i can accept. btw, my claim that the c64 remix scene is dead was, like i said, a provocation, an exaggeration to initiate this discussion. so, please, don't take that literally!

this whole radio-thing may passed by on me and chatting is not my cup of tea.
GeckoYamori wrote:We could always arrange some compos... That would be nice.
does that mean you agree that this scene is stalling?

@neil: did you delete your first post? it was completely different! in that, you wrote that there are not many cds because less people are interested! why did you delete that? i think that's a very important point! you, the remixers, of course are still interested in the scene. but are the listeners, the consumers? or are they fed up? are they fed up because every famous tune was already remixed? did their interest decrease because no interesting cds are released?

/arvid
[ http://www.arvirus.de - more than meets the eye]
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

<<<
but doesn't priorizing other things mean that the former "main interest" is less interesting now?
>>>
It's often a question of being able to justify time that doesn't contribute to financial survival. The world has got a lot tougher since 2001. I desperately want to get back to the good stuff.

As for people and CDs: the audience has been sated, pretty much. Even when lots of CDs were being released, the audience shrank from about 2,000 to 500, and now it's lower than that.

As for other CDs: well, it's survival again. Ever since Bin Laden did his thing, it's been a constant struggle against debt, lack of income and then throw a couple of babies into the mix. That's life. It will happen more and more to the community, and people will have less time. It's just the way it is.

As for the radio shows, people tune in specially, so the audience is at the top end of the figures.

As for compos, even with the scene at its height, hardly anyone entered them. Too much work.

Chris
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

arvirus wrote:you mean in the c64 remix scene? nope, i still produce the same amount of remixes as always ;-)
That's what I mean. The c64 remix scene is not just about c64 remixes anymore, at least not for many of us. It's a group of friends. So is the only way to measure its activity by counting remixes released?

Personally I think we have more uploads to RKO than ever these days (when the upload is open that is). You don't see all of them, because some are removed from the queue for various reasons.
arvirus wrote:are they? i keep hearing that sentence for months (if not for years) and nothing seems to happen.
Well, I can only speak for myself here, but for me things like this takes time. I'm never happy with what I do, which makes it hard to get motivated. I'm also prioritising my university education as far as possible. The time I have left has to be devided on making music, my other interests/hobbies, and trying to have som something of a social life.

And if you're producing a CD on your own there has to be something between 10 and 15 tunes on it. How long does it usually take a remixer to make 10-15 remixes for RKO release?
arvirus wrote:this whole radio-thing may passed by on me and chatting is not my cup of tea.
Then maybe you actually have a problem keeping up with the scene, rather than the scene keeping up with you. ;)