Is it getting boring?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Rauli
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Is it getting boring?

Post by Rauli »

Remixing c64 tunes has since last year been close to all the music I made. At least when it comes to songs I have "finished". It's about having material to play around with and an audience who have some interest about what I do. Without this community I would probably gone back to doing other stuff by now.

I am a rookie when it comes to music. I can hardly play a melody on a keyboard. I have no idea what you all talk about when you talk about that special Tirus LB 506 sound caught by a PT 2000 mic. The sids I know are mostly from games between 1984-1988. But doing these remixis is a nice way to practice and learn.

What I have done lately is going back to my earlier remixes, and I have started to remix some of those remixes. I did this with Panther (and if you have read another thread where I mention I will do it again) and I'm doing it with my Delta right now.

Then it struck me. It's boring! Maybe not for me, but for the people listening to this stuff. I rather listen to some new fresh tunes with totally new approach than a remix of an other mediocre DELTA remix.

Why I do it is probably because in this stage it is good to get feedback, more so than when you just have fooled around without any plans. But as I got zero replys, no reviews and had 13 voters so far, it has worked just the other way around. Probably because of what I mentioned earlier. It is more fun to comment something thats fresh and new.

I myself don't give much feedback unless you ask me, so I'm not really in a position to complain on anybody. And I wouldn't anyway. My experience from my work as a techer in creative writing, where half of the work is giving people feedback, is that feedback is great but works mostly in small comitted groups of people.

I don't know know where I'm heading here. Maybe I should just stop here and see if a provoced any thoughts in you.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Personally I think that there are still a lot of new takes on very known tunes lurking. Two of my current favourites are Sub Sonic's R-Type trance remix and Markus Holler's Lightforce power remix... Both these tunes have been remixed more than once, but there are apparently still people who can pump in something fresh to them (IMHO, of course).
Many of Your remixes, Rauli, are also among my favourite remixes, and I'd really like to hear Your new takes on old ones (Hint: Glider Rider - personal favourite of Your remixes)... And as You have developed as a composer/arranger/remixer since You did these tunes the first time, I reckon that new versions would really sparkle... At least in my ears...

In short: A good remix is always worthwhile, regardless of how many times it has been done already (sort of)...

And also - not all SIDs are suited for remixing. There's a reason that some tunes pop up again and again...

Regards,
Rico
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I agree with Rico. If you can offer something different with your remix of a familiar track, then do it. If you have always wanted to approach a track in a new way, go ahead. You will get (honest) feedback from the remix community, even if we start the comment with "This is the 3 billionth version of Delta I have heard, but..."
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

merman wrote:...If you can offer something different with your remix of a familiar track, then do it. If you have always wanted to approach a track in a new way, go ahead. You will get (honest) feedback from the remix community..."
That's the reason why I remix both fab Delta tunes (main & hiscore)...
and nobody who gave me feedback says: How boring another Delta...

I've got always very nice & constructive feedback for every remix I've done... :D

cheers 2Klang